“Interesting”

Ranked #49 of 458 things to do in Washington DC
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Opened in 2002, the International Spy Museum provides interactive exhibits and contains the most extensive collection of spy artifacts ever displayed.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Stairs / elevator, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed August 20, 2013

It was very interesting and lots of information but a little pricey. You go at your own pace and there is a lot of reading. I found the kids were not that interested in it. The line ups to pay and get in could be improved. I found in the souvenir shop if you asked for help the staff then would try and get you to buy other item as if they were on commission.

SpyMuseumManager, Guest Relations Manager at International Spy Museum, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2013

We are always trying to improve our museum and we appreciate your suggestions for improvement. We are happy to hear that you were interested in the information displayed throughout the museum. In the exhibit we display this info in various ways including many interactive exhibits throughout the space. In just about every area of the museum, we have included ways for guests of all ages to test their skills as a spy as it relates to the topic in which that area focuses on. In our new Exquisitely Evil exhibit displaying James Bond's relation to the real world of espionage, guests can have their own "Bond Moment" where they can search for hidden codes, disarm bombs, and hang onto high ledges. We hope your family was able to experience this and all of the interactive areas of the museum.
The International Spy Museum is a privately owned and operated museum completely independent of tax money or government funding. Your admission fee, together with retail and membership revenue, supports the Museum's research, exhibitions, and educational programming. However, I have forwarded your review to our retail department as we always want to prioritze great guest service above all else.
Thanks again for spying on us!

Write a ReviewReviews (4,425)

Reviewed August 20, 2013

We had a blast in the Spy Museum. It is definitely a lot of walking, I believe we spent 3 hours wandering around. There is a lot of interactive stuff to do, though I think we missed a few of the check points for our own spy identity (those could be better marked). It's fun that they want to get you into the spy mentality. There is a lot of information from a lot of different eras and different cultures. It was especially cool to see things like the photo from a carrier pigeon over Germany and how much instruments have changed over the years. The current Bond exhibit was fun, especially if you like James Bond. I particularly enjoyed the "Bond Moments" video, which was real agents telling their own stories.

The gift shop is cool too. Lots of spy gadgets and shirts and so much stuff.

Thank you for visiting the International Spy Museum and providing feedback regarding your visit!We're happy to hear that you enjoyed exploring the ever-changing field of espionage! As we are always looking to improve our museum, we greatly appreciate you pointing out things that you enjoyed and things that could be adjusted in the exhibit. A lot of the areas you enjoyed are my personal favorite areas of the museum. "My Bond Moment" is definitely a highlight of our Exquisitely Evil exhibit and I'm glad you were able to hear about those exciting stories.
If you are interested in continuing your spy training in an even more interactive experience, we highly recommend Operation Spy, our one-hour intense interactive mission where you take the role of an intelligence officer on the hunt for a missing nuclear triggering device. We need your help to save the world!
We hope you spy on us again soon!

Reviewed August 19, 2013

Well the whole family liked this place! Well designed, lots of nostalgia in the James Bond section, but really cool props and vehicles from the movies. TONS of real life spy stuff/gadgets, and the movie (which is kind of hidden in the museum) was really cool. Real spys, telling real stories, how cool is that?! (even though it is treason in some cases) Go here, well worth the money...and cool souvenir shop too!

We're happy to hear that your family enjoyed exploring the ever-changing field of espionage! "My Bond Moment" is one of my favorite areas of the museum with about 20 minutes of real spies telling stories of close shaves similar to what James Bond experiences on his many missions. This area perfectly connects the real world of espionage with the fictional one. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed it too!
We hope your team of spies will visit us again soon to partake in one of our additional experiences, like Operation Spy or Spy in the City to further your spy training.
Thanks again for choosing to spy on us!

Reviewed August 19, 2013

This is a great museum with lots to keep one busy in the heat of summer or a cold winters day. Go on the special mission tour and you get to solve an international crime. The museum is a fantastic display of spying and espionage with lots of interactive activities. The shop is an awesome array of spyware . Highly recommended.

Just a note that if you go to the mission more than once they do not change the mission. Also some of the guides speak really fast and even though I only speak English it was difficult to follow one girl!

Thank you for choosing to visit the International Spy Museum and providing feedback on your espionage-filled visit! We appreciate you taking an hour out of your day to save Khandar in Operation Spy and hope your team was successful on your mission! I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed your mission despite it being a bit fast paced. All of our guides that accompany guests throughout their mission are encouraged to bring out their own personality to make the missions more entertaining. However, I will ask all of our agents to speak as clearly as possible to ensure that guests are able to understand the gravity of their mission. It is serious business in Operation Spy because the safety of Khandar is in your hands!
Thanks again for saving the world and keep spying!

Reviewed August 19, 2013

First of all this museum (and I use the term lightly here) is more expensive than any other attractions in the City, we just went here yesterday and got charged nearly $40 for two adults. After you have queued to pay AND then queued to get in you get shouted at by some little idiot who thinks she's a real life bond or something. When I asked were we in the correct place (as they do a interactive activity also) I got rolled eyes and a short cheeky answer telling me it was "general admission"....I thought I'd just queued for 20mins in general admissions but no, this was a queue for a pointless history channel program that you HAVE to watch!!! Once out of that you get screamed at again by some teenager to 'move on'.

At this point you realise the exhibits are pathetic, camera's and old tat that they have accumulated are actually laughable in places, they actually have a ninja on a pedastal because they were 'oriental spies' in their time??? There are a few interesting exhibits but because they are so few in number they are generally swamped with other people wanting to see it which means you have no choice but to move on after a very brief glimpse of the item.

I cannot stress enough... DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY HERE...D.C has some amazing museums and monuments and you'll struggle to see them all anyway and most won't cost you a penny, don't waste time and money on this, go round the corner to Ford's Theatre...which is free.

2  Thank OneManClan