“The Ritz Carlton Provides Over the Top Service”

The Ritz-Carlton Georgetown, Washington, D.C.
Ranked #5 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed December 28, 2010

Stayed the weekend of 12/17 in preparation for my sister's wedding. We needed two rooms for the bridal party. The Ritz staff accommodated our request for adjoining rooms. The hotel was an easy walk to Clyde's in Georgetown Park mall for the rehearsal dinner. The valet service was responsive and efficient. Room service for breakfast was delicious, on time and predictably expensive. The bell hop was friendly and helpful with deliveries. We had a parade of hairdressers, make up artists, photographers and flower delivery guys and the staff handled it all professionally. I enjoyed the coffee and tea service in the lobby. The rooms were comfortable and tastefully decorated.

Really annoyed about the fees for internet access. It's $9.95 for a day and $4.95 for an hour. Feels like I'm being nickel and dimed. Same for the cable tv service. They charge for on demand tv programming. I expect that for movies but not tv programs. Just felt like more nickel and diming.

The location is interesting. Traffic was terrible but it was the weekend before xmas.

You really cannot go wrong staying at the Ritz for great service. I've stayed at many all over the world and they never disappoint.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family

Reviewed December 21, 2010

You cannot go wrong at this place and the fact that it is co-mingled with permanent keeps it from achieving the run down hotel look that most facilities are gaining after all these years. This place is abt 10 years old and has so much atmosphere in and around the establishment that there are no complaints that can be filed unless they forget to clean your room...highly unlikely seeing how they send up Matrons to turn down your beds residents and diplomats

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed November 22, 2010

Just stayed at the Ritz last night. As a frequent traveler I find the Ritz Carlton chain to have predictable above average accommodations and service. Sad to say, this one does not measure up to the other experiences that I have had with the chain. The spaces are just tight: from the hotel entrance to the rooms, there is not enough room and you feel cramped.
Next time i'll be looking elsewhere.
Also, you have to pay up for internet services. At these prices, give me a break!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed November 17, 2010

One expects the Ritz to be a relaxing and impeccable retreat, and the Georgetown location does not disappoint. Despite a somewhat labyrinthine layout owing to its architectural heritage, the Ritz Georgetown is laid out effectively and offers a terrific blend of living room spaces and ultra-posh, knock your socks off areas. The rooms are equally phenomenal, impeccably cleaned, and stylishly decorated; it's hard to not want to simply live there.

But my reason for writing this review has little to do with the hotel facilities. The thing that set apart this stay was the fantastic staff. Unlike the typically aloof and pretentious staff at many luxury hotels, the Georgetown location has very real, wonderful people working in every department. I had the misfortune of falling ill while at the Ritz and I was genuinely moved by the way everyone from the concierges, to the front desk, the bell stand, housekeeping, and even room service felt the need to check-in on me. It made an awful situation much more bearable and won over a customer for life.

Incredible, simply incredible. There is no need to look for any other hotel in the DC area.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank hbatx
Reviewed November 16, 2010

We recently stayed here with our kids whose ages are 16, 12, and 8. The kids really enjoyed the hotel because the staff trated them in a non-condescending way. We had a junior suite. It gave us all space after hitting the museums during the day.
The Ritz is an easy 15 minute walk from the Foggy Bottom Metro Station.
We had three good dinners within very short walking distance of the hotel. Martin's Tavern on M Street (great crab cakes), La Rouche on 31st (French country bistro), and Il Canale on 31st (good thin crust pizza and pasta).
The weekend breakfast at the Ritz itself was very good.
All in all, we felt that this property was an excellent choice for our family. It was unique, small, and not stuffy!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank jimbelenis
Reviewed November 1, 2010

I stayed at the ritz carlton in march for a couple of nights. The service that i recieved from the staff there is the best that ive ever recieved from any place that ive ever been to in my life. they went above and beyond at every possible opportunity to help me as much as they possibly could. it really did make you feel incredibly welcome and waned. i wish i could remember the names of all the staff members that i delt with so that i could mention them all. I will describe one particular person, and im sure that they will know that it is them if they read this, this person was a very tall white, fair haired man who was probably in his late thirtys to early fourtys who was the recpetionist on the night shift on a thursday night in mid march. i wish i could remember what the other staff members looked like so that i could describe them as well.

• Stayed: March 2010
1  Thank thecount12
Reviewed October 31, 2010

I was very excited about my last minute trip to Washington and that the conference I was attending had a "special rate" ($498/night) at the Ritz Georgetown. I usually love a Ritz Carlton, but I didn't think this measured up, sad to say. One major exception however, was the staff, who were possibly among the nicest and most professional I have ever encountered, especially the front desk person who check me in and saw me to my room, then said good bye to me by name - impressive. Also, I had to walk from the main building to my annex building to get to my room. The night I was there the staff was offering to make S'mores over an open fire they started as a nice gesture to clients. They were so cute and seemingly excited about the S'mores...very different and made an impression.

I just think I didn't like the rooms that much. They seemed less opulent than a usual Ritz, less refined, too simple. (but the Bulgari toiletries were nice). They were nice, and clean, but just a little spare for my taste. I would also complain about the lack of free wireless in the open areas - what is that about at $500/night?! Quite slow service in the lobby bar too and a glass of basic merlot will set you back $16 - but it is the Ritz. But above Manhattan prices for drinks in a recession seems greedy. I suppose I'd give it another try, but it's obvious I found this an uneven experience. Step up the glamour, Ritz Georgetown! (or lower the prices :-)

The Georgetown Ritz is in a great location - a stone's throw from beautiful Georgetown and right near the C&O Canal.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business