“Comparing the DC Ritz’s”

The Ritz-Carlton Georgetown, Washington, D.C.
Ranked #4 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
San Francisco, California
“Comparing the DC Ritz’s”
Reviewed May 6, 2014

The Georgetown Ritz is more aesthetically pleasing than the 22nd street Ritz as it makes good use of the brick exteriors common to the neighborhood. Ritz Carltons don’t change much in room lay out from facility to facility, and both hotels have the standard Ritz room layout. However, the HVAC system in the Georgetown property is quieter. The 22nd street Ritz has superior and more extensive business conference facilities. However, for a small meeting, the Georgetown Ritz feels more private and offers the unique conference room situated at the base of the old smoke stack for the factory that once occupied the site. Service levels seem higher at the 22nd street hotel, for example when checking in at 9 pm on a Monday, the Georgetown Ritz appeared to have no bell staff available at all. We moved our own bags from the street to reception and then to the rooms.

Room Tip: The basement floor rooms have high windows that give you a feeling of being subterranean.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Korean first
Wilmington, Delaware
Reviewed April 28, 2014

My family of four stayed in a suite for the weekend. The hotel is in a good location but there are several other luxury properties, and three star and above properties that far exceed this particular Ritz. The quality and condition of the property is poor, if not inexcusable for this particular brand. While the staff can do nothing to fix this specific complaint, they can control the level of service they provide to guests. Every request made, no matter how small had to be followed up several times before any type of results. Therefore, you are placed in the unenviable position of appearing as a pest, a position I don't care for. I eventually gave up and stopped utilizing their services. I have an elite card status for the Ritz and they do not know what benefits I am to receive and they will check on it. I request a Sunday paper, it does not come, they will check on it. Over a weekend, numerous reasonable requests such as billing questions, etc., did not garner any response, depsite several polite follow ups. The staff simply did not deliver or follow up on these needs. Room service was the sole exception as their service was fine. Nevertheless, this unfortunate circumstance, coupled with the poor condition of the property, left a poor impression to say the least. Washington DC is always fun for the family and we did not let this affect our trip but others should be aware. Subsequent to the trip, I did lodge these complaints to management at their request through a survey they solicited. I also did have a pleasant conversation with management regarding my concerns. As a result, they made an offer regarding a future stay that they indicated they would confirm in writing. Weeks later, this "confirmation" did arrive and did not accurately convey their offer. Failure to follow up and deliver on quality service apparently comes from the top in this property. I was told the property was being renovated but unless these management and staff concerns are addressed, an excellent stay is to be had elsewhere.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Jcpow
Jeff B, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton Georgetown, Washington, D.C., responded to this review, April 30, 2014
Dear Jcpow,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us regarding your recent visit to The Ritz-Carlton, Georgetown. When I receive feedback such as yours I take it very seriously because it allows me to evaluate our service and facilities in order to ensure that the standards and reputation of The Ritz-Carlton is maintained.

I would like to offer my most sincere apologies to you regarding the experiences you faced during your stay and our subsequent mis-communication with you. I can certainly understand your disappointment from your description of your family’s weekend. Feedback is extremely important to us, and so, if you could afford the time, I would look forward to speaking with you personally and resolving this to your satisfaction. I may be reached directly at (202) 912-4122; I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely, Jeff Brower, General Manager
Pelham, New York
Reviewed April 25, 2014

You cannot beat the location of this quaint Ritz-Carlton. It is steps off of M Street in Georgetown - and in the other direction it is one block from the waterfront. Restaurants and shopping in all directions. The staff is beyond friendly and the lobby is delightful with its fireplace and atmosphere.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Jeff B, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton Georgetown, Washington, D.C., responded to this review, April 26, 2014
Dear Kari B.,

I am pleased we were able to accommodate you and your family during your recent visit to The Ritz-Carlton, Georgetown and that you were able to enjoy our “living room” and the fireplace. Your kind comments are extremely important to me and I would like to extend a most sincere thank you for the positive feedback about our hotel and service and will gladly share this with my staff. We do look forward to welcoming you back to The Ritz-Carlton, Georgetown and our Historic neighborhood.

Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed April 23, 2014

If being in the Georgetown area of D.C. is convenient for you, I highly recommend the Ritz.The location is perfect for a jog or stroll by the waterfront.In the spring, you can see all the crew teams rowing by as you walk along the river.My husband and I were nicely upgraded to a big suite.Room service, and all service were Ritz top notch.We had a late afternoon snack in the lobby, and I can highly recommend sharing the pigs in a blanket appetizer.We also had lunch in their small restaurant....nice salad and lamb burgerThe hotel is tucked away on a side street, and is in walking distance to lots of shops and restaurants,as well as the University.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Dear RicLady,

Thank you for your kind feedback regarding your recent stay at The Ritz-Carlton, Georgetown. We are pleased to have had you as our guest and I am delighted to know we were able to leaving a lasting impression on you and that you were truly able to enjoy the Historic Georgetown neighborhood. We hope to welcome you back soon!

Respectfully,

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed April 22, 2014

My friends meet frequently for drinks in the lobby. The wine is overpriced; we swear we won't come back.

However, we are suckers for the staff. They are good at their jobs. Just last week we met Sean Flynn, one of the new staff. So we will be back.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Dear DCMominChief,

Thank you for your feedback related to our wine pricing; excellent service and warm welcoming staff are just some of the qualities we strive to provide to our guests at The Ritz-Carlton, Georgetown; I'm delighted you agree and that Sean Flynn was able to provide this level of service for you! Thank you for your wonderful comments and we look forward to welcoming you back. Respectfully,

Reviewed April 9, 2014

Just spent 4 nights at this location with wife and 2 kids (7 years old and 1 year old)

Location - perfect Georgetown location, great restaurants & shopping all within walking distance. We were in town to see all the tourists sights - the National mall and all the monuments are about a $20.00 uber ride away. Uber app worked really well as there was always a car within 10 minutes of the hotel. The car would often make it to the front of the hotel faster than we could get to the lobby from our room

Service - service was fantastic - everybody was extremely friendly. They were very welcoming to the kids (stuffed animals & coloring books on arrival, etc).

Food - all of the food we had at the hotel was good but the menu seemed limited for a Ritz Carlton

Room - we were in a 1 bedroom suite on the lower level. The room was very large with 1.5 baths - that was great for our family. We had plenty of room to relax and the kids could play. At night we could put the baby to bed but still watch tv/talk in the other room without disturbing the baby. That said the room was a bit worn for $700+ per night. Colors seemed outdated, furniture a bit scuffed up, carpet looked a little dingy.

I don't think this is anything the hotel doesn't know - in one of the hotel brochures on the desk was a note that all rooms were being updated in 2014.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed March 29, 2014 via mobile

I really wanted to love this place. Great location in Georgetown within walking distance to all the best streets in the area. Fifteen minute walk to the Georgetown campus.

Very cool common areas, sleek open layout and very inviting. In an old building that's been renovated. Lobby area is very cool with ample seating. Service is very good to outstanding in all areas of the hotel.

The rooms are not very good and this is where the hotel does not measure up. Very uneven shower floor, the mattress on my side of the bed was very poor...so poor that it was so uneven I thought I was going to roll off the side.

Had a suite that was fairly worn. Our first suite clearly smelled of cigarette smoke and as we entered the door it was not locked. We simply pushed the door open. We moved from that suite to another smaller one and no one even offered to adjust the price. We did however receive a complimentary breakfast for the family.

Very mixed stay. Not up to Ritz standards set by others. And I think I'm qualified to make that call having visited probably fifteen locations.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Jeff B, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton Georgetown, Washington, D.C., responded to this review, April 1, 2014
Dear BTrun78,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comment. I am very sorry to hear that your experience did not completely meet your expectations and would appreciate the opportunity to be in touch with you. Feedback is extremely important to us, and so if you could afford the time, I may be reached directly at (202) 912-4122. I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely, Jeff Brower, General Manager