“Cool Vibe from a Ritz Carlton, who would have thought”

The Ritz-Carlton Georgetown, Washington, D.C.
Ranked #4 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed November 14, 2011

I stayed at the Ritz Carlton Georgetown, what a surprise it was, in a good way. I like the Ritz Carlton quality of properties and service but had stopped staying in there properties if I had another luxury choice because they all seemed to be the same. The Georgetown property is not like the other Ritz properties and it is apparent before you even enter the hotel. The hotel has the best location of any hotel in Georgetown. The industry felling carries from the outside of the hotel with a smoke stack rising out of the structure to the inside with the black steel and brick surfaces through out the lobby and hall ways on the inside. The hotel still provided a luxury feeling and service without the sometime stuffy appearance of the "standard" Ritz. The quality of the room and service I received in my short one night stay had me wishing I could stay longer. I would definitely recommend this property to anyone looking for a luxury experience while in Georgetown wanting to be in the center of the action without the noise and the crowds.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Scott M

Reviewed October 30, 2011

The staff made us feel very welcome on arrival, and everytime we returned to the hotel during our stay. They have just reconfigured the Bar (28th Oct) to include the restaurant from the 1st floor.
Our room was an excellent standard, with very comfortable bed, and in a quiet location, with the bathroom a good size with seperate shower.
My only complaint would be the wifi access is charged by the hour/day.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 11, 2011

Hotel is ideally situated in Georgetown, just below all the crowds of M Street. Been to the hotel numerous times over the years. Staff does an excellent job making the stay as comfortable as possible.
However, Marriott has forget to reinvest in the basics that made Ritz Carlton a brand. The dining room furniture was disgraceful with rips, stains and scratch. The chair in our room was stained and wall paper peeling. The accountants need to loosen up on capex, the hotel is depreciating at an accelerating rate.
Still cheaper than Four Seasons, but there are other hotels for the money in DC than better value...under $500 per night including the high DC occupancy tax.

Room Tip: Hotel is unique with its configuration. Two towers and three separate elevator systems moving you a...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Repap
Reviewed October 8, 2011

Although a local resident of DC, I decided to stay at this “luxurious” property for one night with the sole intent of relaxing; being pampered by superior service, fine dining, and the use of their spa.

A member of the free Ritz-Carlton rewards program, I was entitled to an AMEX promotional rate of ($220/nt) because I am a platinum cardholder. So, I booked the room (w/o using pts) at the AMEX travel website because of the following additional benefits: (none of which were honored by Ritz management)

- Room upgrade, if available
- Daily continental breakfast for two
- 4:00PM late checkout
- $100 food/beverage credit

Long story short, avoid this Ritz as it is no different then the Capital Hilton or Renaissance (both of which are far less expensive).

If you decide against your better judgment, continue to read on for detail on what to expect.

The “Large Premier Room” with king bed was very clean but not the least bit luxurious and rather small. The bathroom was really fit for just one person. The ordinary “bathtub” was supposed to be a jacuzzi with water jets and fitted with a headrest. The separate shower is a tight squeeze even for one person (felt a bit claustrophobic). The very soft beds are in need of replacement (springs seemingly worn down); woke up with a soar lower back.

TIP: If you order room service (food / beverages), you would be wise to pre negotiate the cost prior to ordering; let them know you will pay them in cash. I personally saved $150 this way.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Paul S
Reviewed September 13, 2011

This hotel is very nice and situated easily in Georgetown, right off of the main street (M) where there are numerous restaurants, shopping, and bars.
It is not your standard Ritz in that it is attempting a more modern feel. However, the amenities and staff are what you would expect from a Ritz property.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 12, 2011

As a fairly frequent business traveler, I am not one impressed by glitzy decor in the lobby and somewhat snooty and inconsistently helpful staff like I witnessed on my 3 night stay here. Too many Marriott and Hilton hotels offer nice extras and thats where I will continue to check first.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank bilshup
Reviewed August 23, 2011

We came down to DC for a Baptism of a close friend and decided to partake in a mini-vacation ourselves. In searching for appropriate accommodations I came across the Ritz in Georgetown which I had always wanted to try out. I am very happy with my choice. The Ritz of Georgetown is perfectly located if you are interested in being in the mix of the city without the traditional touristy crowd. It's a short walk to the Foggy Bottom Metro station on the campus of the The George Washington University as you make your way around the city to explore. My first impression of the Ritz upon arrival was the wonderful and gracious welcome we received. We were offered a beverage and the checkin was at a classy seated desk very similar to boutique resorts. When they were showing us where things were they walked us 3/4s the way exchanging pleasantries and more information about our inquiry. At every moment we were entering or traveling within the hotel staff members acknowledged our existence and said things like 'welcome home' or 'have a great afternoon'. The courteous and welcoming attitude served our stay well. We asked for a Sushi place at nearly 10 PM and the concierge did an excellent job in directing us to exactly what we asking. The room was well decorated, roomy and included a beautiful bathroom. The shower could fit 4, but only one shower head. There were also many closets. I could easily see staying here for an extended period of time. Lastly, upon checkin we were offered an upgrade to a luxury suite for a fraction of their regular price. I did decline the offer since that would have put our total night's stay over 1k, but I did appreciate the fact that they would open such accommodations to nontraditional patrons when the rooms were going unused. If this were our own special occasion I certainly would have accepted the offer. Over-all, albeit short, we had an excellent stay. A++ to the staff. Keep up that welcomed gracious hospitality and we will be back!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple