“Best Decision of Our Trip”
Review of Capital Bikeshare

Capital Bikeshare
More attraction details
Owner description: Capital Bikeshare offers access to a fleet of over 2,500 bicycles located at over 300 stations across Washington, D.C., Arlington, VA, Alexandria VA, and Montgomery County, MA. 24-hour and 3-day passes are available for purchase at any station throughout the system. Annual memberships, 30 day memberships, and daily key memberships are available for purchase online. Passes and memberships include an unlimited number of trips within your access period and the first 30 minutes of every trip is free.
Reviewed September 4, 2012

My wife and I spent 5 days in DC in August and have been there many times in the past. This time we had set out expecting to walk and use the metro for all of our travel needs, until we saw the Capital Bike Share program. What a great service! We paid for the 3 day membership and used the bikes almost exclusively during our entire trip. Very economical and a great way to see DC and still save time. I highly recommend using this program if you are on vacation and are going from sight to sight.

1  Thank Moondogge

Reviewed September 3, 2012

I highly recommend seeing all the monuments at night by bike. Capital Rideshare has bike stations all over DC. Their website tells you where they are (125 throughout the city) Its almost a bike vending machine. We rented them near the mall, took our time seeing all the monuments (at night they are beautiful), and then rode them back to a bike station near our B&B and returned them there. Great, inexpensive way to see DC.

2  Thank lydthompson
Reviewed August 26, 2012

I've use this kind of bike share system in Europe but I'm happy to see it's been brought to DC which is such a great city to get around - NOT in a car. There are so many great sights in DC that you almost want to walk...but then that's a bit slow. So, put your credit card, in one of the hundred or so Capital Bikeshare stations, follow the instructions, and for a mere $7/day, you can bike the city. Pick up a bike in one spot and drop it off in another.

To make it ever easier, be sure to download the the Spotcycle iPhone App so you know where the bike stations are, and even if there are bikes there at that moment.

2  Thank causemark
Reviewed August 19, 2012

My husband & I decided it was a pretty day & we wanted to spend a day outside. We decided to rent the little "red bikes". I have been in the DMV area for less than a year & we currently do not own our own bikes, so we saw that Capital Bikeshare had the most docks & that the website actually shows you how many are available at each dock. What the website does not tell you--which I can is being misleading--is the fact that it's $7 for the first 30 mins, but there are additional fees for the extra time & there is a $101 deposit per bike...for us, it wasn't a big deal...we originally planned to go from 10th & constitution to Georgetown, but after we saw the price, we decided to change our ride to around the national mall & see the MLK memorial. We never had intentions on biking all day, so the 1.5 hours was perfect for us & still an inexpensive, fun way to tour DC. Definitely not meant for long rides. Would do it again...We plan to buy bikes but until then, Capital Bikeshare works for us!

Reviewed August 16, 2012

We thought this was a great way to explore the city for just 7$ a day. To our surprise once we received out credit card bill we realized that this was not the case. The membership fee for the day is 7 dollars and then you are charged for every minute you have the bike. This can get expensive fast. It is not made clear as to what the exact cost is for these bike rentals. Would not recommend this to anyone.

5  Thank Lindsay L