“No detail overlooked”

Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 11th Between E and Pennsylvania
Transit: Metro Center, Smithsonian
Reviewed December 11, 2012

The canapés brought to your table are the first clue that it's going to be a great meal, but we are not surprised. We've followed Chef Enzo Fargione from his earlier restaurant, Barolo, to here, so we know what we're in for. He can almost always be seen preparing food in the open kitchen, greeting guests as he works. The food creations -- the best word for them -- are inspired by his native Piedmont, Italy but not strictly "Italian" in the traditional sense. He takes familiar ingredients and turns them into something exciting by combining them with the unexpected and presenting them cleverly. The open kitchen gives it the effect of going to someone's home -- a very elegant house -- for dinner. The space is posh, in hushed, cool tones and the wait staff is sophisticated. They are conversant about the menu and, as it should be at fine restaurants, they are enthusiastic about the creations they bring to your table. There are usually 2 or 3 people attending to you in some capacity. The wine list is extensive and as you'd guess, is impressive on Northern Italian wines. If you like Nebbiolo, Barolo and Barbaresco, you will be in heaven. But there are many others. Let the sommelier walk you through the list. There are usually 2 tasting menus and they can be paired with wines, or not. I have tried them and each course has been a thrill... and not overfilling. Presentation is elegant and sparing without being stingy. You will be full at the end of the meal! At the beginning of the tasting a server brings you a quartet of olive oils paired with different flavored rock salts, which you can sample with the bread of your choice. The bar is excellent too. I asked for my single malt scotch neat with "rocks on the side." It came from the bar with a sizeable "ice ball" in a separate glass, which is a great way to have scotch on the rocks. I have only seen this in Japan before. I mention this because these perks are typical of what you'll experience. It's all about the details here and few, if any, are overlooked.

1  Thank dccab

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Sent by a friend to try out this place and I went with work colleagues. But, boy, this would be the place to go on a date. Very devoted staff, wonderful presentation, and super food. The corn soup with crab was brought with a dollop of crab in the bowl, the soup separate and poured with a flourish at the table. The gnocchi...oooh. yum. to die for. Big trays of it lined in the open kitchen for good reason. I'm sure it is a huge seller. Desert delivered by the pastry chef. This place rocks.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

My girlfriend and I went out this past weekend for dinner at Elisir. The food and service were amazing. There were multiple staff that waited on us, but the main server's name was Daniel. We did the seven course tasting menu and it was amazing. I must admit that I was a little intimidated because I have never eaten about half of the items on the menu before. The value was really good for a tasting menu. I have seen them elsewhere at a substantially higher price. We were too full for dessert, but will definitely come back again soon for some.

Reviewed September 23, 2012 via mobile

As a native of DC, I am shocked by some of the generous ratings of very mediocre restaurants. Elisir is the real deal. A lovely spot for a special night out.

The setting is beautiful but comfortable, with the kitchen front and center. For a restaurant serious about its food, the warm service is the opposite of pretentious. Our waiter was the friendliest, most attentive and knowledgeable one I've had in years!

The food is prepared lovingly and thoughtfully. My simple arugula salad was elevated by shavings of truffle. My monkfish was the tastiest I've ever had.

For a lovely night out, Elisir is a fantastic choice.

Reviewed August 12, 2012

A 'hidden' gem! Recommended in AAA mag, two friends and I went for lunch. We had the Bar special ($19) which included a non-alcoholic beverage, entree (choice of about 15) and dessert (choice of 2). The Saffron pasta with mushroom ragu was out of this world, grilled salmon with side salad was also delish. Good lunch sizes, no over eating...oh, the BREAD basket had about 4 different breads, we tried them all..all baked on site. Had hazelnut cake dessert...just a tiny cupcake with a small scoop of ice cream...good enough to satisfy our sweet teeth but we could have eaten more. Bar area was very quiet at lunch, dining area was attractive. The bar server was very helpful...we ordered all her suggestions between the three of us.