“Delicious fresh sushi”

Ranked #153 of 3,342 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: Sushi, Asian, Thai
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Baan Thai is a new concept in Thai Food. Offering regional Thai cuisine that focuses on the Essan region, the menu doesn't offer Pad Thai or Pad See Eww. Instead we branched out and offer dishes that are traditional, authentic and un-Americanized.
Reviewed February 23, 2014 via mobile

We arrived with around 6:40. They waited until 7:02 to come take our order, when we learned that happy hour ended at 7. I must have given her a look, because once they brought our drinks out the server said she would put it under happy hour pricing. I'd say that balances out to being about average.

The food was delicious. We both got maki rolls. They come in sets of 6 or 8, which it didn't specify on the menu. They had the standard choices, plus a variety of more original creations like Ninja or Spider rolls. They had a cute little pitcher for the soy sauce already on the table. Be warned, it pours fast, and not in the trajectory you'd expect. Good luck aiming it at the little tray without getting it all over the table.

Overall, cute place. I'll definitely be going back!

Reviewed January 2, 2014

Of all the restaurants in the DC area this has to be my favorite.
Good Food, Great Service!

Food is freshly made and presented very well! There are two gentleman that always seem to be waiting tables, they are great! Friendly, sincere and always smiling!

I will continue to dine here and always look forward to seeing the same staff. That says a lot about the restaurant when the turnover is low!

Keep up the good works guys and gals!

Reviewed November 10, 2013

Great Sushi at a fair price. Always fast and fresh! This is our 'go to' Sushi restaurant and our regular waitress Fai is excellent and so sweet. AND, the fact that they are open late is perfect for a late dinner with our crazy schedules. ขอขอบคุณคุณ

Reviewed October 11, 2013

For a small place, the food was excellent and you couldn't beat the price! My fiancé got the lemongrass beef which was outstanding and we could eat it forever. I got sushi which was also good.

Reviewed September 10, 2013

I can't say enough good about Tsunami. From the sushi to the staff to the specialty drinks, this is one of my favorite restaurants in DC.

The sushi is excellent quality and reasonably priced, especially for this area. Wander 4 blocks west to Sushi Taro and your bill will AT LEAST double. Tsunami has an excellent selection of traditional sushi offerings as well as very creative, delicious, and beautifully presented specialty rolls...my favorites are the jalapeno crab roll and the Helix roll.

I LOVE the staff, from the servers and bartenders to the owners. They have always treated my friends and I like gold, and I can't thank them enough. We recently worked with the staff to hold a joint birthday party in their event space upstairs (which is, BTWs, one of the best-kept secrets in DC), and the party was truly amazing. It's such a beautiful space, the staff made special drinks just for our party, they let us come in at noon to decorate and arrange the furniture as we wished, and they staffed the upstairs bar with two of their amazing bartenders for the entire evening. Things got a bit cloudy later in the evening, but I think I recall that they even stayed open late for us until the party started to wind down.

Oh, and try the White Lotus specialty drink. Just do it. It's legit. I've renamed it face-plant punch for a reason.

1  Thank Blurryeuphoria