“A rare find indeed”

Pearl Dive Oyster Palace
Reserve with OpenTable
Pearl Dive Oyster Palace is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #93 of 3,342 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Logan Circle/ Shaw
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Pearl Dive is nestled in an industrial space on 14th Street. The concrete walls are outfitted with nautical paraphernalia and the buzz of the crowd gives the room a warmth. They don't take reservations, so you'll have to wait but there's plenty of space to mill around the bar and patio. Reservations are permitted for the chef's table, located in the kitchen, which does two seatings per evening.

We were the lucky three who joined the chef's and were treated with an oyster cocktail of a kushi oyster from British Columbia topped with caviar to start. It was excellent but that was just the tip of the iceberg. We sampled the fresh asparagus salad, the softshell crab and the oysters rockefeller to start. Each was delectable in its own way and we ogled the other hot oyster dishes as they flew out of the kitchen at a rapid pace.

The mussels were some of the best I've ever had. The broth was delicate and flavourful and the bread, which was clearly smoked with its own flavour for dipping in the broth was equally delicious. The frites were crispy and salty, served with their own aioli. One of our party had the seabass, which he said was excellent. The piece de resistance was a pecan pie which we shared, no devoured. All of the large-portioned desserts looked mouthwatering as they exited the kitchen but pecan pie is a personal favourite and it did not disappoint.

Our evening was capped off with some house-made chocolates, with a kick.

High end cuisine at an Oyster bar, at incredibly reasonable prices make pearl dive a rare find in the neighbourhood. We would absolutely return.

Did I mention that I found a pearl in one of my oysters?

Reviewed May 18, 2013

The Pearl Dive does not accept reservations. That's an issue as this is a popular place. My party of six arrived at about 8 and were seated at 10 pm. We had a table upstairs, but they don't serve the food from the downstairs restaurant upstairs. That is a bad decision. Serving restaurant food upstairs, at least on Fridays and Saturdays, would make this restaurant much easier to get into.

The food, in general, was good. Our group had a variety of fish and steak. They have a very good selection of oysters, clams, etc. Everyone was pleased with their food, but nobody said it was extraordinary and certainly not worth a two hour wait. The pecan pie was quite good for dessert.

What made things worse is that it seemed the staff was purposely misleading us as to when and where they would seat us. At one point they pointed to a table near the back and said they would be leaving soon and they'd seat us there. When we walked to the back to check out the shellfish we walked by that table. They hadn't even ordered yet! They were still there after we left! Unbelievable.

So, here's my advice. If your group is larger than four, either come at five or come at ten, but not in between.

Reviewed April 30, 2013

I went there for brunch with my cousin. Everything was great except her omelette didn't come with bread and an English muffin was $4. However, the food was tasty and the quality was excellent.

Reviewed April 29, 2013

My wife and I ate at the Black Salt on Monday, April 22nd and we are glad we did. Monday, during Happy Hour, the oysters are 1/2 price in both the bar and restaurant . I had 2 dozen of a mixed variety and they were all delish! Scott was our waiter and was above outstanding! He was on top of everything and made several suggestions that were spot on.
If you enjoy raw oysters, I highly recommend the Pearl Dive Oyster Palace!

Reviewed April 27, 2013 via mobile

Joint was jumping and the host was nice enough to get us a table for 4 right away as it was my step daughter's birthday. Food was very good, but a little spicy. Cute atmosphere and friendly knowledgable staff.