“Great Penn Quarter Hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Kimpton Hotel Monaco Washington DC
Ranked #45 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
Thornton, New Hampshire
“Great Penn Quarter Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2014

Very convenient location for visiting the National Portrait Gallery, the International Spy Museum and the Newseum. Walking distance to great food at Jaleo and Oyamel. We had a very good breakfast at the hotel's restaurant, Poste.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
GM1004, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Washington DC, responded to this review, May 19, 2014
So glad you enjoyed your visit with us Yngvie, and your visit to Poste as well as a few other Penn Quarter landmarks! Come back soon!
Ed - Monaco DC GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (433)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2014

I enjoyed a two night stay at the Kimpton Monaco on 5/10-5/11. As an Inner Circle member, I received a wonderful room upgrade as well as a bottle of wine, bottled water and fruit in my room upon arrival, along with a nice personalized note welcoming me back "home." Although there was a very large wedding at the hotel the evening of 5/10/14 on the floor above mine, my room was quiet and there was no noise from the wedding that I could hear. The bed was extremely comfortable. Enjoyed a great burger and truffle fries from the restaurant, Poste. The red line metro is located directly kity-corner from the hotel and the Smithsonian Portrait Gallery is directly across the street. Every staff member I encountered at the hotel was polished and cheerful. I would not hesitate to return to the Monaco (although I also like the Kimpton Palomar and George as well).

Green Features: The Kimpton hotels do make an effort to be environmentally friendly, including by supplying separate waste bins for trash that can be recycled.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Aww JMHNH - we can not blame you one bit for your love of the Palomar or George, they are other fantastic Kimpton Hotels, but we're so pleased to read your kind comments about your stay with us. And as an Inner Circle, you've been around enough Kimpton stays to know what a great stay looks like. Many thanks for your loyalty and your review, we hope to see you again soon, even if we're "sharing" with our friends across town.
All the best,
West Coast
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2014

I like the Kimpton Hotels as I usually stay at the Monaco in San Francisco. Again I was there for a 1/2 Marathon. This time it was the Nike Woman's 1/2 and the hotel was 2 blocks from the start line. Very easy to get to from Regan Airport. Less than 20 buck cab ride to get here. Location is right across the street from the Smithsonian Portrait Gallery and close to buses and metro stations. I could walk to the Capitol building and Smithsonian Air and Space and Natural History Museums.

The front desk was helpful as soon as I arrived, as a Kimpton member I received free wifi during my stay. The room is not super spacious but the bed was comfortable. The great thing for me was the large bathroom complete with jacuzzi tub and separate shower. The only complaint I had was that the doors are not that soundproof. I was on the fourth floor which is adjacent to the conference rooms. Because of this, set up for conferences and when I was there a wedding was staged in my hallway. I was trying to rest in the afternoon and the banquet staff was prepping everything in the hallway. So it was noisy. My room also had an adjoining door to the room next door and I could hear all conversations next door too. So perhaps the doors need to be soundproofed more. When I told the front desk, they apologized and said they would speak to the banquet manager. OK I guess.

They still have wine tasting in the afternoon at this location and that was nice to see. Oh, this is a dog friendly place so dogs are welcome. Met a few new pups and as I was missing my own, I met some friends for drinks in the bar and it's a beautiful location. I found out the building was a postal office and it made sense as the ceilings were very high.

Overall location is good, if you are sensitive to sound bring earplugs, If you are used to Kimpton hotels, it's a comforting kind of familiar.

Room Tip: Maybe the 3rd floor away from banquet space
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for the kind comments JMLO3, you seem like a well traveled Kimpton fan, and I appreciate the discerning eye. We're working on some ideas surrounding your noise observation, and I hope we'll see you again on a future visit to see how we made out.
Best,
New York City
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2014

I stayed three nights this past weekend for a family wedding. To say this place is in need of an overhaul doesn't accurately describe the multitude of issues facing this location.
Clearly, this property is frequently used for conferences, weddings, and other events. However, their meeting spaces aren't contained on a separate floor - they are on the same floor as guest rooms. And apparently there is limited (if any) staging room for these events, because every single night I was at the hotel, there were carts with old food, new food, dirty dishes, and general disarray in the hallways by the guest rooms. Every time I walked by, there were multiple staff members hanging right outside guest rooms talking, sitting nearby doing nothing, or eating the food off the trays. Not only did this create an unacceptable obstacle and commotion for hotel guests, but the staff were wholly unapologetic about the staging and their behavior. Not once did they even make eye contact with me, much less apologize or move out of the way.
One afternoon my husband and I wanted to hop in the elevator (incidentally, the slowest elevator I've ever been on, serving only 3 floors) and there were already two staff members with food carts in there. What they SHOULD have done was offer to get out and let us in, ESPECIALLY since there is a freight elevator approximately 10 FEET from that elevator. But instead, they stared at us as the doors closed without apologizing or offering to make room. I found the same attitude of every staff member I encountered: quiet, lazy, and/or rude.
In addition, the hotel is far too old. The bones of the building are great - a large, impressive, majestic space - but the space clearly wasn't built as a hotel. The layout is VERY hard to navigate, even to the main guest rooms. The bathrooms in each room were clearly built in each room after the hotel took possession, The bathrooms don't have fans or get any A/C (meaning they get hot and smelly - don't plan on a romantic weekend if you or your S.O. need to use the bathroom) and the pocket doors offer little privacy.
So what's good about it? The location is great. My room was relatively quiet when there weren't staff members hanging outside chatting. That's about all I got. I will not go back there and I would recommend, if you're a hotel "frequent flier," that you look elsewhere too. This hotel does not offer the same level of attention and service that I expect from a luxury hotel, esp. when paying this amount for a room.

Room Tip: There's no tip here. The rooms aren't good. Try to avoid the basement ("1st floor"...
Green Features: Nothing special. On par with the SPG program of the same type.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank RubyTuesday008
Your thoughts do not fall on deaf ears RubyTuesday008. It is always our goal to exceed our guests expectations and we're working on a few solutions that we hope will remedy the noise you observed. I'm also excited to report that we have some updating coming this summer to our lobby and public areas, nothing too disturbing, but it should answer some of your overhaul well. We hope you do decide to return and check things out.
Best
Suburban Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2014

You just can't beat this location. Metro catty corner, within half mile of Mall, White house, etc and many, many great restaurants. Had a wonderful night's sleep, our room was a king deluxe on the 2nd floor (200 level) overlooking herb planted pots in the courtyard. Did not hear any late night music. Having stayed in other Kimptons I thought the room was on the small side but the tall ceilings really make up for the lack of floor space. There is a small desk with an office chair in the small alcove between the windows (they are large and let in plenty of light with 2 layers of curtains for room darkening options--if you are looking for even larger windows they are on the 300 level) and the bathroom but no other chair in the room which I am used to having at other Kimptons. There just isn't the space. There was a bench at the foot of the bed which was a nice touch and came in handy. Bathroom shower was standard tub/shower combo with plenty of hot water and great pressure. Room and bathroom were impeccably clean. Bathroom vanity on the small side but having the makeup mirror was so very appreciated!The staff was super friendly, any place you encountered them they always greeted you and asked if there was anything they could do. The man who checked our bags even brought me a bandaid when I explained I was trying to find one in my luggage. It is a gorgeous historic building, the hallways are so wide, window wells very deep. Beautiful hotel, wonderful restoration!

Room Tip: Rooms on the 300 level have the largest windows, 200 level a tad smaller. 100 and 400 level will be...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GM1004, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Washington DC, responded to this review, May 12, 2014
Thank you so much for the kind words and the great review Terpfan13 - everything we truly strive for. I hope you can come back again soon!
Cheers,
Ed Monaco DC GM
Fort Myers, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2014

From the moment we walked in, the front desk staff was friendly and helpful. The location was perfect, as we were going to two games at the Verizon center, just 1 block away. The Metro stop from the airport was also only a block away, a $2 , 20 minute ride traffic free! Best of all, there are bicycles available at no charge, complete with helmets and locks. We cycled around this bike friendly city and made it back for the complimentary wine hour in the lobby. 5 minutes on your bike and you are at the Smithsonian, The Mall or The Capitol! There are great restaurants within walking distance plus a nice upscale bistro in the hotel with a great bloody mary bar with weekend brunches. THIS IS THE PLACE we will come back to on our next trip.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the third floor with a window
Green Features: By declining make up service (we can make our own bed and use a towel more than once, we got a $5 credit towards the restaurant.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thanks for staying with us Mattasen1 - we're super excited about our Wizards in the playoffs right across the street at Verizon Center! We can't wait for your next trip - give us a call!
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2014

The plaque on the side of the building reads that the building once served as a post office and that Congress once met there after the Capitol had been burned by the British in 1814. I once interned on Capitol Hill, and it reminds me as if Kimpton had purchased one of the House office buildings and converted the congressmen's offices to hotel rooms. The long, quiet marble hallways with tall, vaulted ceilings are lit by striking drum chandeliers, a nice juxtaposition of old and new.

The decor in the lobby is, as is typical for the Monaco brand, flamboyant, though not gaudy in my opinion. Water with lemon and fresh fruit were nice touches. We only stayed one night but returned to the lobby to grab our bags around 5 PM, when, apparently, the hotel serves complimentary wine. Also a nice touch. As many have complained, there is no in room coffee maker (it never tastes good anyway) but there is coffee and tea in the lobby in the morning. I also noticed on my way out that the hotel provides loaner bikes, another nice touch.

The room was booked on a website that doesn't tell you which hotel you're getting until you book. I was surprised when we arrived to find that we had been upgraded to a Monte Carlo room, because usually when booking through those sites, you're stuck with whatever's available. The Monte Carlo room felt decadently large, with tall, patterned plaster ceilings and tall windows with the original case moulding covered in centuries of paint amplifying the effect. I thought the animal print robes were a little quirky, but so is the overall decor of the place, like the busy headboard that wouldn't look out of place in a Magic Eye book. There was also a bust of George Washington atop an impressive wardrobe, but don't worry, his eyes are politely averted from the bed.

All told, Kimpton gave the property a very nice treatment. It's location is extremely convenient, catty corner from the Gallery Place metro station, surrounded by great restaurants, and walking distance from the Mall. At the price we paid, it was an excellent value, but doesn't miss the mark for its regular rate either.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for the great review Mike922, quirky, decadent - I love your descriptions but I love even more how much you enjoyed your stay with us - which is our ultimate goal. Each and every stay. We hope you come back again soon - summertime is a great time to visit Poste Courtyard or even book a Nationals Baseball package. See you then!