“Fantastic Location for a DC Trip” 4 of 5 stars

Kimpton Hotel Monaco Washington DC
Ranked #43 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
Fort Worth, Texas
“Fantastic Location for a DC Trip”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

My husband and I decided to stay at the Hotel Monaco after a securing a reservation at Minibar to celebrate our anniversary. We noted that many of the restaurants we wanted to try were all in the same area and Hotel Monaco seemed to be the most convenient hotel to stay in order to have easy access to all the restaurants. It was a great choice.

The hotel is eclectic. I loved the historic aspect of the building. The hallways, vaulted ceilings, and winding staircases all added to the historic charm of the building.

My one complaint would be that no one assisted us as we arrived. We had to drag our suitcases up the stairs, open the front door with our arms full, in order to enter the lobby. It wasn't a great first impression but things got much better after that. The lobby was a little cluttered but otherwise I liked the decor.

Our room was ready for us early as we had requested. We were congratulated on our anniversary and my birthday. They were nice enough to leave a gift of complimentary champagne, cookies, and a card to congratulate us as well.

We stayed in a Monte Carlo room since I had read that the standard rooms were on the smaller side. The Monte Carlo room was a good size and we were quite comfortable in the room. Our view was of the street, nothing spectacular but not bad either. Housekeeping did a good job.

We enjoyed the free wifi (for Kimpton Loyalty members), the cute animal print robes, and some sake during the reception hour (I think the sake was special for the Cherry Blossom Festival, normally it's just wine and beer offered.)

Getting to the museums and monuments was a breeze from the hotel. Everything was just blocks away. We didn't need to use the metro or cabs at all.

We had brunch at Poste on the day we checked out and were impressed with our meal. We also stopped there one night for drinks and enjoyed the selections.

Overall, it was an enjoyable stay and I highly recommend the hotel for anyone looking to have a fun trip checking out the National monuments and museums.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JackandSally

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (392)
Orlando, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

This is our 3rd Kimpton hotel, and we bought our pet with us on this trip. Reserved with this info, called ahead to make sure room would be ready, and also at check in staff made sure to note this. After all that, the room still did not have the pet amenities needed after several hours of flying with a pet. Had to rush back and ask, never a good start to a stay. In any case, the other front staff did a great recovery. The hotel is superbly located, walking is a breeze to the major sights.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Holland, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

Located in an old post office building, the monaco is a charming hotel. The location couldn't be better and the amenities, wine, lemonade , etc. all made for a delightful experience. There are plenty of restaurants to choose from and the metro is right there.

Room Tip: No pool but nice gym.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Lyndhurst, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I alway stay at The Hotel Monaco while in DC. We come at least once a year down for a Capitals game and this location cannot be beat. Cool, historic bulding with adequate room selections for what you need or your length of stay, great place to eat at Poste as well as the complimentary wine hour each day from 5-6pm. The staff is wonderful here, so pleasant and always accomodating. While checking in this trip, I realized the date and laughed to the girl checking us in that it was our wedding anniversary and we totally forgot! Later that evening after my husband and I came back from the hockey game, in our room wasa bottle of champagne and chocolates with a card wishing us a happy Anniversary, what a nice suprise!
They sure do know how to delight their customers, always a pleasure here.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TravelingKramers
Cambridge, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

I booked a "Monte carlo guest room" on Orbitz for $300 per night. It was described as covering 525 square feet and having a "separate living area." The "separate living area" turned out to be a little space left over when they plunked a bathroom down in what had been a square office. In this living area was a small desk and a single office chair, hemmed in on three sides by walls. There was nowhere else to sit, except for on the king bed, which took up nearly the entirety of the rest of the room (if it was 525 square feet then Kimpton has developed its own new standard units of measurement). Don't go here expecting a reading chair or a desk that you could use with another person like you might find in a Hampton Inn.

A lot of noise from the hallway intruded into the room and it was hard to sleep. If you decided to take advantage of your insomnia by working you'd find that the Internet was slow and flakey, as well as difficult to connect to (it is not a standard free system where they give you a code). How about relaxing by watching television? The small flat screen TV was hooked up to a confusing mixture of sharp digital channels and fuzzy analog ones.

The bed was comfortable, though.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Columbia, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

I have been to this Kimpton property several times and I am providing another review because of the quality of the staff. I was in DC for a meeting that was held in the Monaco and, as organizer, I had quite a bit of contact with the staff (food and beverages; AV/computer; etc). The employees really pay attention to the guests and are very professional. The AV assistant was always early to help set up the room; the food preperation was early and quietly performed when the meeting was in progress; and the servers were very efficient. Another short story really captures the overall quality of the staff at the Monaco. I had been in 4 different meeting rooms in the afterenoon and I left my computer bag (and computer) in one of these rooms, however, I did not notice that the bag was missing until 1am when I returned to the hotel. The guy at the front desk was incredibly gracious and walked me through each of the meeting rooms helping me search for the bag. He mentioned that he did not have a key to the lost and found, but that it would reopen at 8am. The moment I set foot in my hotel room a view minutes later, the front desk was calling to let me know my bag was in the lost and found and that they could bring it down to my room or I could pick it up whenever I wanted. Overall, these guys run a tight ship and it is always a pleasure to return to the Monaco.

This trip I also tried the restaurant in the Monaco. The dinner menu is rather interesting and I tried the artic char - very nicely prepared fish. They also have a very nice selection of beers (Two-Hearted IPA). Breakfast was also quite good: I had the bagel/lox. While I have been to the Monaco several times, I never realized it had one of the largest outdoor patios in DC. If you walk through the restaurant and bar, the interior is a courtyard and bar area - it was amazing. Great places to sit, a separate bar, beautiful surroundings. I can't believe I had no clue it was out there (note to self: stop going back to the hotel room to work).

And one thing that never changes: the location. I love walking out and being right in the middle of DC. A short distance to so many restaurants, bars, and DC sites. Can't beat the area.

Looking forward to a return trip again next year.

Room Tip: Check out the patio.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

About those First Floor rooms, which are partially lower than sidewalk level ... please check out my photos, taken in natural daylight, no flash. I was here for 3 days and it was fine. I mean, when you stay in an historic 1800's property, there will be a few differences from new construction.

On first floor, the windows start a little over 4 feet above the floor and go up to 9 feet. They're 4-5 feet tall, not little "basement windows". The ceilings are over 10 feet. The lobby is actually on the Second floor, but instead of taking the elevator to my room on the first, I preferred to take the worn, original stone steps near the elevator. More character.

Like all Kimptons (and I've been in several), it's a first class hotel in a first class location. Kimpton seems to specialize in converting vintage and historic buildings into boutique hotels. No two are alike. Each one has its own personality. I'm sure that the Hotel Monaco is one of the oldest and most historic properties they have. They didn't change the history.

My room was a Monte Carlo room with king bed. The least expensive rooms are smaller so you may want to pay a little more if spaciousness is important. See my photos. Hope this helps.

Room Tip: Windows on First Floor rooms are actually 4-5 feet high, not small.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo