“awesome staffl” 3 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersGold level
Marco Island, Florida
“awesome staffl”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

This is a boutique hotel and we expected a lot more than we got for the money. The one saving grace is that the staff are totally awesome. Anything you want they will do their best to see that you get it and with a big smile. The hotel needs more work on cosmetic issues, and the rooms were very small for "king deluxe". We will say, that the food at the reception we attended was excellent.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Thomas J
GM1004, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Washington DC, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Hi Thomas J - what can I say - I couldn't agree with you more - our staff goes the extra mile so you don't have to (and our great location has something to do with that too). They are really the element that makes this Historic Landmark unique! Many thanks for the kind words,
Ed - Monaco GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (433)
Leesburg, Virginia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2013

I usually stay at the Willard when I spend the night in DC. So, I tried a location closer to Verizon Center for a New Year's Eve dinner. I reserved a junior suite. When I got to the desk, the clerk was looked up my name and confirmed my reservation. She sent me upstairs with my key. However, she came running up the stairs shortly after and took my keys. She said she forgot to program them. OK...I was impressed by the attitude to make it right. We got the new keys and entered the room. After unpacking and laying on the bed (in a very small room that didn't look at all like a suite), a maid walked into the room without knocking on the door. Luckily we were only watching tv on the bed. Then, a guest entered the room using a room key...she exclaimed something to the effect of "not again", evidently she had gone to more than one room that was occupied. Then a phone call to the front desk. The clerk asked my name and room number. She didn't have me assigned to that room. Well that made sense because I was in the wrong room type. So, another call from the desk to confirm what room I was in. Then a knock at the door by the manager; he asked my name; evidently, they still did not know what room I was in. OK...so, getting comical at this point. We headed downstairs for a happy hour drink and snacks in the lobby. My wife went upstairs to put her purse in the room. The key did not work. Here we go again. After our screwed up stay, I contacted the hotel via email. The manager's fix was to offer me that next time I would get the room that I booked. YGBSM! I told her not a chance I would come back to an room that was not able to be secured from the inside--security issue; and after they screwed up so bad I would only come back after they acknowledge the screw up...which she at no time accepted responsibility for the defects, and after they provided some incentive (DISCOUNT for something; maybe a dinner in their supposedly excellent restaurant)...nothing, no acknowledgement, just excuses...NO WAY I GO BACK! They can't even do the core things like check people in...oh and did I mention they kept screwing up my payment...they could even let the guest pay!

Room Tip: Don't go!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank JimGAF1979
Dear JimGAF1979 - reading this - I hope that your new year the last three months has been a smoother one than the way it started with us. My best wishes for a happy and healthy one.
Lawrence, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013

This was the third time we had stayed at the Monaco and the first time we were disappointed. The location is great - across from the Portrait Gallery and an easy walk to many other attractions as well as to the Convention Center. The hotel is in the historic US Postal Building. Wide hallways and very high ceilings. When we first checked in, we had a room on the first floor. The window was partially obstructed so there was little natural light and the room was about the size of a postage stamp! After complaining, our room was changed. This room was slightly larger although not as large as the rooms we had had on our two previous visits. The staff at the hotel is very friendly and accommodating. As Kimpton members, we had internet acess in our room which is a nice plus.

Room Tip: You don't want to e on the first floor.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013

We are locals who wanted to have a romantic night away in a fun neighborhood. The Monaco fit the bill perfectly. We enjoyed the wine happy hour, went out for dinner and drinks and then had a great soak in the giant bath. The upgrade is totally worth it!
The bed was incredibly comfortable, the service was lovely and the location is ideal. I would recommend the Monaco to anyone. Sign up for Kimpton rewards before your stay and you'll get $10 to raid the minibar.

Room Tip: The upgrade to the suite is wonderful.
1 Thank maxbmom
GM1004, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Washington DC, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Maxbmom - now you've gone and done it! Let out our little secret about the best value upgrades in Washington DC! They truly are the best way to experience the hospitality of the Monaco. We so appreciate your comments and look forward to your next getaway! Make it soon!
best
Northeast
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2013

First of all, it's right near the Verizon Center -- so it's a perfect location for game day! Great location overall .... there are plenty of options to choose from at night! The hotel is beautiful... the rooms were a bit on the smaller side, but comfortable. We couldn't get the room to stay at the right temperature - it seemed either too hot or too cold, but I feel that temp. control is often a common hotel issue. We also had difficulty with the WiFi - which was a bit of pain throughout the weekend. The service was great - from the front desk, to the valet, to room service. Everyone was friendly, gracious, courteous and quick! The room doesn't get a perfect cleanliness score. There were some hairs in the bathroom (that weren't ours) and stains on the headboard. Don't get me wrong though. Despite the minor issues, this hotel was wonderful. I would definitely stay there again and would recommend it to anyone that was in the area. We attended a wedding within the hotel -- it was a nice choice. Plenty of beautiful spots for photographs, hotel rooms on the same floor as the ballroom (FABULOUS!!) and good service throughout the wedding. The food wasn't the best hotel food ever - I felt the wedding food lacked somewhat, as well as the room service food that we got delivered. So while I don't think I would necessarily eat at the hotel next time in town, it would still be a definite contender for a sleepover!!

1 Thank AnyoneUpforACK
Huntington, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2013

This hotel is close to everything for the visitor to Washington. Our room was on the first floor and was claustrophobic it was so small. Our room had no heat the first night. After two phone calls to the front desk, they finally sent an engineer. He left without telling us if it would be fixed. My husband finally went to the front desk to ask for another room. At least that one had heat. They did sent chilled champagne and chocolates at 12:45 am, but I really just wanted to go to sleep at that point. I am not sure if I would stay there again.

Room Tip: Pay extra for a larger room. The discount they gave us for a queen size room on the first floor was...
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Hello justgotravel - I guess that takes cool room to a new level - on a more serious note, I encourage you to reach out on your next visit - we've a great variety of room types and our Monte Carlo guestrooms are the best value in town on a deluxe guestroom with the extra space to really sit back and enjoy that chilled champagne without feeling cramped!
Cheers,
Los Angeles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013

We've stayed at Kimptons for years, and there's very good reason. Each property has the absolute highest level of customer service. The Hotel Monaco is no exception - from the moment we checked in, we were warmly greeted by name. It was my husband's birthday - we were upgraded to suite with a bottle of champagne! We had our two toddlers with us, and each were given fresh from the oven cookies! The hotel staff knew this was a special weekend for us, and they went out of their way to make it extraordinary.

Equally as impressive is the marvealous historic treasure in which this wonderful hotel resides - from the ornate ceilings to the marble staircases - American History Buffs - this hotel was made for you!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family