“Exceptional Stay at a Historic Treasure!”

Kimpton Hotel Monaco Washington DC
Ranked #52 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
Los Angeles
“Exceptional Stay at a Historic Treasure!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013

We've stayed at Kimptons for years, and there's very good reason. Each property has the absolute highest level of customer service. The Hotel Monaco is no exception - from the moment we checked in, we were warmly greeted by name. It was my husband's birthday - we were upgraded to suite with a bottle of champagne! We had our two toddlers with us, and each were given fresh from the oven cookies! The hotel staff knew this was a special weekend for us, and they went out of their way to make it extraordinary.

Equally as impressive is the marvealous historic treasure in which this wonderful hotel resides - from the ornate ceilings to the marble staircases - American History Buffs - this hotel was made for you!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank DC2NYC2LA

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (439)
Frederick, MD
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013

I'm a little partial to Kimpton brand hotels because they always seem to offer great service and amenities. Hotel Monaco is no exception. It's located in one of my favorite DC neighborhoods, Penn Quarter, and is close to a ton of wonderful restaurants and attractions. It's within walking distance to a number of museums. The hotel is actually in a historic post office building, but the interior is more modern. The rooms have wonderfully high ceilings that are a rare find in a hotel. Parking is on the pricey side, but their valet is convenient since parking is always at a premium in that area. There's also a metro stop across the street.

Room Tip: I prefer staying on floors 3 and up.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
central virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

This hotel is a nice, historic venue that is conveniently located to the Verizon Center (across the street) and several museums in DC. The tall ceilings give the illusion that your room is large, and the walls are substantial so noise was not a problem at all. The bathroom is slightly cramped and the lighting is lackluster but all in all this is a great city hotel. The only complaint was that the bar did not stay open late enough to serve the post-verizon center show crowd so we had no where for a nightcap after a concert. Luckily, if you are a Kimpton In-touch member, you get a raid the mini bar coupon which gives you a nightcap in your room.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Boulder, Co
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

We are big fans of Kimpton hotels. We recently stayed at the Philadelphia Monaco, which is just superb in every way, including a remarkable location across the street from Independence Hall. A few weeks before that, I stayed at the new Monaco in Phoenix, which is very modern and thus different in its architecture from many Kimptons, but it also was terrific..And we have stayed in many others of like caliber over the years. The DC Monaco is another nicely done renovation and application of an old building. it's not as impressive as the one in Philadelphia and the "deluxe" room I had was smaller than I've come to expect, but still, with one glaring exception, is a very good hotel in an appealing location.
The exception is the restaurant incorporated in the hotel and called Poste. Its kitchen was, on two separate occasions, a disaster in terms of accuracy, paying attention and speed of service. It falls far short of the usually high standard reflected in Kimpton restaurants.Its management needs to be either retrained or replaced. Eat somewhere else, like Jaleo which is across the street or Tosca which is a couple of blocks away, by way of example only. DC is not short on good restaurants. Fore-warned is fore- armed, as they say. .

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Oceanside, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

Came to town to catch a capitals game for the weekend and take in a couple sites.

Bad:
-Parking price is the steepest I've seen in my travels.. Your paying a decent penny to stay at a nice place like this and they charge you $40 a night to park?! C'mon!
-I was issued two holds on my bank account if over $600.. I knew they'd place a hold on extra incase I used room service or whatever but I was issued double. It was an accident and they apologized the funds were released but after I got home.. It was more an inconvenience than anything.

Good:
-LOCATION IS EXCELLENT.. Right across the street from Verizon center and like three blocks from the mall we parked at the hotel and didn't get back in the car until we left was able to walk everywhere. The hotel restaurant is a little pricey but there are tons of restaurants and bars nearby its great.
-Room was clean no complaints.

A little more pricey than I'm used to but you get what you pay for and aside from the joke of a parking job everything about our stay was top notch. Would/will recommend and definitely stay again on my next trip.

• Stayed February 2013
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

Entering the Monaco, snow was gently falling, guests were gathering for the lobby wine reception, and two delightful ladies greeted us at the front desk. It was our first trip back to Washington together in 4 years and were taken by how much we missed this lovely historic hotel. As we turned to leave for our room, we joked about which program we would watch, Downton Abbey or the Super Bowl? They warmly suggested that we join them to watch the Super Bowl in the lobby.
When we arrived at our room, we opened the door to a fabulous suite - and 2 TV sets! We rushed back to the lobby to ask if a mistake had been made and were reassured that it was to be our room that night! It took our breath away!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Albany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

I had stayed at the Monaco a couple of years ago and was impressed - my stay a couple of weeks ago prompts this post: The building is a gorgeous, historic structure which provides unique "twists" to the whole experience (incredibly high ceilings in rooms, beautiful and quirky interior spaces, great design and furnishing details, views out windows of surrounding pillars, very large rooms and bathrooms, etc.). Most impressive are the staff, each of whom are friendly and accommodating in a way that is sincere and real (versus forced and artificial). Don't get me wrong - they are not over the top or intrusive - but realistically caring. I know many only post on-line comments when complaining about something: I felt that my recent stay was so enjoyable that I had to share.

Room Tip: I've only stayed in 2 rooms total, and both were great. As this was business trip, I was not ab...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business