“Excellent location, wonderful staff”

Kimpton Hotel Monaco Washington DC
Ranked #50 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
South Bend, Indiana
“Excellent location, wonderful staff”
Reviewed July 25, 2011

Pricelined and felt like we won the jackpot! $125 a night, excellent location close to so much. Some reviews stated the noise was a problem, we stayed on the 2nd floor, no problems, slept like a rock. Every staff member went above and beyond. We did not eat there, $$ too expensive (have 11 and 12 year old girls, family vacation). Found the spy cafe right next door had great prices and a quick breakfast! Hotel helped us have a great vacation! Girls loved having a goldfish as a pet during the week, that was a nice touch!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Eve4016

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (439)
Bloomington-Normal, Illinois
Reviewed July 24, 2011

My husband and I stayed at Hotel Monaco during the July 4th Holiday for four nights. I booked the room on Hotwire without knowing which hotel I was getting. However, I had read many reviews for hotels in the area and was very pleased we got this hotel based on the reviews. We got a GREAT rate at $100 per night. We did not have a car so we did not pay for parking, which understand is pricey. I was concerned, based on reviews, that we would get a "basement" room and a queen bed. While I did not really mind a basement room since I thought it would be cooler (hot in D.C. in July), I am tall, and my husband is very tall so we wanted a king bed. My husband called the hotel a couple of days prior to our arrival, and advised of our situation with wanting a king size bed. The hotel accommodated with no problem and put us in a lovely room on the 3rd floor with a king bed. We checked in very late on Friday night but the staff was very friendly and accommodating. Although a large bus load of people appeared to be checking in at the same time, several hotel employees (some even appeared to be management) were outside the hotel assisting with bags. Our bags were taken in very promptly. We were checked in, and a bellman assisted us with bags to our room. The only "odd" thing about stay was that the bellman who took our bags to our room (actually he only made it to the elevator) told us we had missed the hotel wine hour and offered to bring two glasses of wine to our room! Needless to say, we were very impressed with this offer. The bellman left us at the elevator door indicating he would retrieve the wine and bring it to our room. However, he never showed up! We finally realized he wasn't coming, and went to bed. This was not a big deal, though. He probably just forgot. We did see him later on during our stay, and he apologized saying had brought the wine to our room but we did not answer his knock. I don't think so.

The room was very charming. The hotel staff had left a July 4th welcome plate containing holiday wrapped candies (cute!) with two bottled waters. The rooms are old federal office building offices that are remodeled into hotel rooms. However, the hotel has done a nice job with remodeling. The room was equipped with a very comfortable king size bed with a fabric covered headboard extending almost half the wall. The very high ceilings were kept in the remodel and gives the room some of the original charm of the building and also creates a larger feel to the room. The room was equipped with a small desk and chair for business. The room had a minibar which could be unloaded and reloaded with your own water, wine, etc. The armoire in the room housed the closet (with two Kimpton leopard print robes, ironing board, 1990s era stereo (this was nice), and a safe. The bathroom was nicely designed with a tub and shower (I didn't use the tub). The windows looking onto the street below (Spy Museum across the street) were original - floor to about mid-way up the wall.

The hosted wine hour is AWESOME!! Hotel staff serves guests wine and another drink (they had sangria once when we went). The hotel also has olives and nuts placed about in the very charming lobby for guest to munch on while enjoying the wine hour. During wine hour on Sat night, a server walked around offering free summer vodka drinks (delicious) and an appetizer from the hotel restaurant (tasty).

The hotel lobby is period appropriate seemingly maintaining some of the original charm of the hotel. Internet was free if you are a Kimpton member (just have to go Kimpton website and sign up for free). The hotel is in a very good location close to many restaurants and within walking distance of the Mall and monuments. If we go back, we would definitely stay at Hotel Monaco again.

Room Tip: Call the hotel prior to your arrival and make a request for a specific room type.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank pickitravelerNash
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed July 21, 2011

My wife and I stayed at the Manaco in October 2010. The suite we booked was huge and comfortable! Additionally, we very much appreciated the chilled champaigne, cupcake, and note from the manager awaiting us when we walked in.
The building itself is an old government building with large spiral staircases. We took time out before leaving to explore the building. Located in the Chinatown area of Washington DC, it is near several museums as well as the Verizon Center and the Chinatown Metro Station.
The service was pretty good, but not flawless. My wife and I arrived at different times, and although I had called ahead of time and asked that they allow her to check in without me, she had trouble doing so. Additionally, when checking out, I found that the valet parking was added to the room bill. While this was ok, I was glad that I unfolded the bill and read it. Upon reading the bill, I found that they had mistakenly put an extra 0 on the end of the parking fee! The gentleman at the front desk quickly fixed the mistake.
Overall we had a very enjoyable experience, and appreicate the unexpected extras! We will certainly be back!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AreWeThereYet2011
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed July 21, 2011

The physical part of this hotel is average for a decent hotel in DC. Its the extras that make this hotel worth-while. There's a happy hour with Wine/sangira at 5 every day, they have coffee/tea in the AM, and the customer service is amazing. Every person I talked to was very pleasant, and went out of their way to ensure we had a nice trip. I did also stay on the 3rd floor. As the previous reviewer stated - the ceilings were high - and made the room very spacious! The downside - the elevator was ridiculously slow. But, 3rd floor actually = 2nd, so its worth the trip on the stairs instead.
The aesthetics were nice - funky-classic. The bed was very comfy. The leopard robes were a fun touch. One thing - the clock radio was old and clunky... I would have expected an IPOD dock for this level of hotel.
Overall, very pleased with this hotel & the location is perfect. Safe and active.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Shreveport, Louisiana
Reviewed July 13, 2011

The staff, from front desk to visiting Kimpton managers to the bartender, went above and beyond on a daily basis. The kids were charmed and amused by Roberto, our loaner guppie, and amazed by the history of the building. It is a grand place where we were treated like part of the family. Every morning one of the desk staff would ask about our plans for the day and provide suggestions and print out mapquests when needed. Every evening, someone would ask about the day and offer to get anything we might need (like spoons for ice cream)! Thanks Ben and Amy! Wine hour was a great treat at the end of a long day, and we were able to meet so many locals, business and vacation travelers from all over. Isn't that a big part of visiting other locals, to meet people and find out all over again that we're really all the same? I would highly recommend this hotel to visitors to DC. The Monaco really made our vacation! Parking was expensive, like everywhere else in DC.

Room Tip: If booking online, follow up with a call. The staff will ask about your plans & book you in the...
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank SuperMom1989
toronto
Reviewed July 12, 2011

I don't know how this place could have gotten bad reviews. We had an excellent stay. Let me start by saying that I am a 'loyal' SPG member so I usually stay at the W or Westin but I thought I'd give the Kimpton a try and I am hooked! I did stay one night at the W while in DC as I had points and 2 nights at the monaco and one night at the palomar since I wanted to check out the dupont area and the monaco was my favourite of all 3 hotels! The location was amazing - much better than where the W is as there are restaurants all over, it's across from the verizon centre, across from china town and across from gallery place mall with more restaurants, a movie theater and shops and street crepes (yum!). Parking WAS expensive at the hotel as other reviewers said but you can park for $22 for 24 hours at the gallery place (but there is no in/out - once you leave that's it .. but if you were planning on parking your car and walking or using metro that is a good bet - it is very safe). Street parking is also readily available and very safe as the hotel takes up a whole block there is parking in front and on the side. Parking is free on the street between 10 pm and 7 am -so if you are an early riser you can get out at 7 am and buy a ticket ($2.00 each hour). We did this both nights we were there as my partner gets up early to use the gym (which he really enjoyed at the hotel). We drove all over as it was so hot - you can walk to the mall but we drove everywhere as the heat was killing us so the parking worked out great for us - we put $4.00 to last us till 9 am and by then we got out and drove around for breakfast then down to the museums and all over the place. Since we had a car we also did a lot of sightseeing we hadn't done before such as the pentagon, the air and space museum in virginia near dulles airport and the anacostia museum/frederick douglass house so there was no point in paying for hotel parking since we were hardly there. Parking all over DC is $2.00/hour - except for some places it is free on some side streets (like close to the capitol). And on Sundays it is free all day and on Saturdays and Sundays the places that it says "permit only" (such as near the mall and capitol) it is not enforced so you can park there on the weekend (we asked a police officer to make sure). So parking was not a problem for us and we saved a lot of money doing it that way.

The staff - particularly Kelly at the front desk - was incredible!! She was so lovely and really made us feel welcomed. That is the main difference between this hotel and the W. Yes, the W is 'swanky' and new-ish but we were there thinking 'why did we leave the monaco? points or no points'. the staff were rude, we had to wait forever for a drink at the rooftop bar that is supposed to be so great and the neighbourhood is dead. Kelly really went above and beyond. She offered kids packs to our kids, offered to send a goldfish up to the room and told us all about the in touch perks and when the happy hour with the complimentary wine was etc. Also, i found out through facebook about a 'secret' word promotion that kimpton does where you say the word when you check in and you get 'surprises' (it's a different word each month during the summer - so if you're going in july or aug check them out on facebook and find out the word) and kelly was soooo sweet. she said "ahhh .... you have the word do you? well i have surprises for you!" and that was it ... we left for the day to check out the portrait gallery across the street and the spy museum also across the street (SO convenient) and when we came back she came running after us and offered us freezies. we thought THAT was the surprise and we were so pleased as she was so sweet about it- but when we got up to our room she had handwritten us a note saying 'thank you for following us on facebook, enjoy your stay" etc and left us a bottle of red wine, a snack tray of nuts and crackers, vouchers for 2 free continental breakfasts plus 2 free kids breakfasts and a bunch of coupons for discounts at madade toussaud's, bike rentals, etc. along with a voucher for a free app at a nearby restaurant. That was so wonderful and such a nice surprise! Plus i joined kimpton in touch so i got free wifi and a $10 credit to use towards the mini bar which was a nice surprise - I didn't even know Kimpton intouch members got that $10 credit until kelly told us so make sure and join - it's free to join so why not? (although i have to admit - the wifi was a big choppy - not the greatest - same thing at the palomar - but at least I didn't have to pay $15.00 like i did at the W). And then there is the free afternoon 'wine reception' where they have red and white wine, beer, sangria and soda for the kids along with olives and crackers. On our 2nd day we caught it as they were packing up and we asked the gentleman "is there more sangria?" and he said "of course! we can get you more! or would you like anything else? just let us know and we'll get it for you!". They all really just went above and beyond. The service and all the perks were great while not being pretentious (yes, like the W ...)

Now as some others said there is a weird basement level to the hotel. I can see how people would be very disappointed if they got a room down there. the windows are small and face the sidewalk. I read about these low rooms so I called ahead the day before and requested a room not in the basement level as I like light. What i didn't know is that only the 3rd floor of the hotel has super high ceilings (they must be 20 feet - it is amazing and really makes the room feel huge). I got a room on the 3rd floor when I checked in (probably kelly going out of her way again) so I loved my room and hallway - but when I asked they said it's ONLY the 3rd floor that has those high ceilings - all the other floors are avearage height. So call ahead the day before and request a room on the 3rd floor!

Anyway - I hope that is helpful. If you get a room on the 3rd floor, join intouch, find out the facebook word and park at the gallery place or on the street if it's not too inconvenient for you I don't see how you can NOT have an amazing experience here. When I go back to DC I will defn stay here again. I have also stayed at the Willard (which is next to the W down by the White House) so I have a few hotels to compare to and this is by far my favourite. I look forward to checking out other Kimptons in my travels. I regret not staying with them earlier.

Room Tip: ask for a room on the 3rd floor - super high ceilings!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank smbbeb
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 12, 2011

I used to work for Kimpton and loved the company and loved the hotels. My boss decided to give it a go after being a faithful starwood fan for years. He travels on business a few times a month and only stays in nicest places. My experience with this hotel was SUPERB from start to finish! I had some questions regarding his reservation and had to make changes due to last minute meetings and such and was helped by the front desk and central reservations.
I had called the concierge and I wish I could remember the gentleman's name but he was friendly, knowledgeable and professional. I was able to recommend some places for my boss to go to on his own as well as with co-workers. He was told to check out the hotel bar and called to rave about the delicious truffle fries.
Ms. Jennifer Kerr at the front desk was WONDERFUL in helping me and I can not thank her enough!
My boss called me from the hotel to inform me that he was having a stellar stay. At check-in, the agent recognized it was his first time staying with Kimpton and acknowledged that he was a Kimpton in touch member. He thought the raid the mini bar card was a great idea too. At one point during his stay he had some time to kill and asked a female desk agent (Stephanie maybe?) for some suggestions of things to do around town and the suggestions were great! He checked out a nearby cigar bar based off of a recommendation and loved it. When he returned to the hotel, the agent had gone above and beyond and left him a note in his room with a treat for when he returned. From the moment he arrived to the time he departed - it was a great stay! Thank you everyone!! We will all be back!

The Two River Team