“Some of the best Thai I have eaten in the US - Make a reservation!”
Review of Thai X-ing

Thai X-ing
Ranked #498 of 3,322 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Upper Northwest
Reviewed June 8, 2012

Fantastic! Enough said! A friend from DC brought me to this hidden treasure. Living in Asia and often frequenting Thailand (not to mention going to Thai cooking classes on numerous occassions) I was more than pleasantly surprised to eat Thai food that was not "localized" very much. The Thai food they serve is more Northern style (not so spicy) but the flavors were wonderful. It is the cooks' menu so you never really know what you will get.
A friend of mine cannot eat coconut but loves Thai food (go figure?!?). The owner/chef came out and talk to him about several options and made a special dish just for him - sort of a beef basil tasting mixture of "the kitchen sink" - it was delicious.
I would highly recommend this to any Thai food lover. If you are looking for southern or central Thai with that nice chili kick, this may not be the place for you. You could try asking though. The som tam was not spicy enough for me, but I'm a BKK guy so I like it spicy. The beef dish they brought (it was almost the same as nam thok) needed a little more ground rice powder but the spiciness was very subtle and creeped up on you. I was pleasantly surprised.
I cannot wait to visit DC again to go here. Loved it.

Reviewed May 31, 2012

I was so excited when I heard about this place and the no menu scenario. It made it possible for me to try new items instead of getting the same Thai food I always do. Very much worth it. First of all the cucumber soup was a great starter, who woulda thunk? Then the salads came out, man did they have a kick to em! But they were so delicious I couldnt stop eating even though my mouth was on fire (lifelong american). Next were the 3 entrees,one was a beef, one was a chicken and one was pumpkin curry which I looooovvvveeeeddddd! Drunken noodle wasn't my fave but my dining guest thought it was fantastic (Im not a noodle person much). Dessert was mango and sticky rice and really wound up our menu perfectly. I would definitely go back~ and I will!

Reviewed May 30, 2012

You do not want to miss this place. YOU MUST GO. Craving authentic, spicy Thai cuisine? I was, and found my happiness at Thai X-ing.So good!!! The kitchen operates out of the English basement of this row house in the Shaw neighborhood (2 blocks from Shaw metro station). Course after course of amazing food is brought to you and your guests to enjoy. While there is no fixed menu, they will accommodate allergies and preferences (such as vegetarian) and they also take requests (I will be requesting tom ka and meing kham next time). Pricing is $30 per person for the dinner on weeknights and includes generous portions of soup, salads (2 kinds), entrees (3 kinds), rice, and dessert. Fantastic. The only let down for guests that have been to Thailand is the knowledge that this meal in Thailand would run you under $20, but the cost of living is higher in America so one can hardly complain. Need to make reservations as eatery is cozy and fills quickly.

Reviewed April 25, 2012

I'll start with Thai food is my my favorite. I've eaten it all over the world plus on three trips to Thailand. I even like to cook it myself.

This is the best Thai food that I have had in DC and now that I think of it the USA.

there is no menu so they just cook whatever they can get fresh. we have been twice and have had between 8 and 9 courses and taken food home.

the food is more home style than fine dinning but that doesn't detract from how great it is.

the only downside is that it can be hard to get a booking, so be persistent (plan for a week in advance) and I've had pretty much the same meal both times I've been there. Will not stop me going back.

P.S. it is byo so make sure you bring something if you want anything other than water.

Reviewed April 24, 2012

I LOVE the food here. There is nothing that the owner/chef makes that is not exquisite. I can't give recomendations, because you really cannot go wrong with the menu.
All of that said, if you call ahead and order, you may still find yourself sitting in the (very small) restaraunt waiting area (there is room for one table of diners) for 45 minutes or so. Bring a book.
He's a one-man show, and it's worth the wait, but make sure you account for the wait, in terms of what time you want to eat.