“Outstanding Customer Service! Superb Luxury!”

Sofitel Washington DC
Ranked #20 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 30, 2010

Our visit to DC was a mix of business and pleasure. I was seeking office space and my husband and I were celebrating our 9th year anniversary. From the morning we deboarded the plane to the morning we headed back home our stay was nothing but true excellence! The front desk staff was very accomodating with early check-in, the business center had everything we needed, and trust me I REALLY needed this as soon as we arrived, because I had clients and staff calling me left and right to where I didn't have time to go to our room and purchase the internet service at that moment.

Concierge service was great as well as the bellhops, and everyone greeted you with a smile EVERYTIME. I even got to practice some of my French without feeling embarrassed (it's been awhile). The restaurant.... delicious! The rooms very nice! And we stayed in a superior room. The king sized bed was so comfortable! And I rarely use hotel toiletries, but these were very nice as well! The shower was so large! And the bathroom didn't even fog up (my husband pointed that out). Loved the french doors. I can only imagine how nice the suites are! We kept trying to see if the TV was regular HDTV or LED because the picture was sooooo sharp!

They have a fitness facility that's also above average. I haven't been in a hotel with that much equipment. It wasn't like a regular full-service fitness center, but much better than any of the other luxury hotels we've stayed in.

Oh! One little special thing housekeeping did was when they turned down our room for the evening they left the most beautiful music playing for us! When we arrived back to settle for the evening this made it even more enjoyable. So relaxing!

I can't say enough about Sofitel Washington in Lafayette Square. We were lucky to find this deal at the last minute, so I canceled reservations with a previous hotel. But... with service and luxury this great, It's worth every penny of their regular room rates.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
Renou, General Manager at Sofitel Washington DC, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2010

Thank you for choosing Sofitel Lafayette Square to celebrate your anniversary. It seems you were able to take advantage of many of our luxury accommodations from the complimentary business center, service with attention to detail, chic comfortable guestrooms and 24 hour fitness center. We are always here for you to practice your French, and hope to welcome you back soon. Merci beaucoup et à bientôt!

Reviewed September 30, 2010

I chaperoned a 6th grade DC trip with my 11 year old daughter(stayed elsewhere) and then met my husband and 15 year old son at the Sofitel for the weekend. The room sizes are wonderfully spacious, good closet, too. Very hip hotel with great bar, slow service, but good food/drink. Conceirge was outstanding & helpful. We originally were staying at 'the George', but their conceirge and staff were so rude & unhelpful, we switched. Great location,great staff, can walk to the White House. Metro right across the street. Would love to go back for a trip with just my husband. I highly recommend the DC Bike tour, too!

Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed September 29, 2010

This was my first stay here, but I have stayed in many similarly rated hotels in DC. This is a very attractive place, with a beautiful lobby, nice seating areas outside, and very nice rooms (although my carpet was fairly soiled throughout the room).

The room did not have a cofeemaker, which was inconvenient, but they do have delicious coffee in the lobby.

Reviewed September 29, 2010

Attended a government-sponsored seminar and stayed one night. The government rate ($229) was much lower than the "retail" price on the back of the door to my room ($1500!).

I checked in early (noon) and easily. Very friendly staff at the door and at the desk. The hotel lobby is pretty small, but does include a few small areas to sit; useful if one is meeting others at the hotel and needs to wait.

The standard room is quite large with many extras - nice reading sconces above the headboard, lots of electrical outlets for charging computers and phones, separate shower still instead of a bath/shower combo. Did not opt for a "room with a view" and so my view was another building. (The front desk warned me about this, and for a fee I could have upgraded to get a better view. I chose not to.)

The seminar made use of the hotel's food service, and the quality was excellent. The ingredients and style of cuisine were light, fresh, and delicious. Easily one of the best hotel food service experiences I've had for business travel.

My only tiny complaint is that the hotel doesn't do the usual "slip the bill under the door at night for checkout" thing; you actually have to check out at the front desk. There was no line, and check out was quick and easy.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business

Thank you for staying with us for your business trip to Washington D.C. We are happy to know you enjoyed your stay at the Sofitel. Many of our business clients enjoy the convenience of our Express Checkout services. Our guestroom doors are fire proof for guests' safety, so we cannot slip anything under the door. However, we offer a form, so that upon your departure you may view your bill on the television in your room, sign the form and drop it at the front desk as you leave without having to queue. We then email guests the invoice for his or her records. We hope to have you back again soon for business or even pleasure, and you will be able to take advantage of the Express Checkout.

Reviewed September 28, 2010

My husband and I visited DC a couple of times per year over the last few years, and we tried a new hotel each time. We were so happy with our stay at the Sofitel this past weekend, that we expect to stay there for all of our future DC trips. The location was perfect - a block away from the White House and withing walking distance of other tourist locations and a ton of terrific restaurants! The Hotel is beautiful - upscale without being too stuffy. The staff were ALL incredibly helpful, and we got the feeling from each staff member that they were genuinely happy to be of service. Our room was very large - and we had a nice view of the street below. The beds were wonderfully comfortable and we slept very well - almost TOO well! We ordered room service for breakfast one morning - just the continental breakfast - The delivery was prompt, the pastries they served were delightful and the french press coffee was terrific (I'm a big coffee person)! We also ate lunch on the patio of Le Bar and were very pleased with the service and quality of food and drinks. The ONLY quasi-complaint I have is that the floor beneath one of the tables of the patio was very sticky - I would guess that they had some guests spill a martini (or two) the night before and it wasn't noticed by the staff. But, seriously, that is the only slightly imperfect thing we encountered all weekend and I wouldn't have noticed it if I hadn't tried to sit there.

We were so impressed with the Sofitel that I felt compelled to make this my first review - great hotel!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple

Thank you for choosing us for your most recent visit to Washington D.C. We are thrilled you enjoyed your stay with us and it would be our pleasure to welcome you and your husband back soon. Thank you for making Sofitel Lafayette Square your first Trip Advisor review and next time be sure to try Ici, our contemporary French bistro, the patio is lovely!

Reviewed September 25, 2010

We traveled to Washington DC for a family wedding and stayed at the Sofitel. We arrived at the hotel mid-morning and assumed we'd have to check our luggage and check into our room later that day. We were pleased when we were told our rooms were ready for us! I had requested our two rooms to be near to each other and we ended up next door. The rooms were lovely! The bathroom was awesome and I loved the products provided each day. We did not request a room with a view, as this wasn't our first time in the city and you can't see much anyway, except downtown buildings. The proximity to the White House is unbelievable. We really enjoyed the coffee bar in the hotel lobby/bar area each morning, as there aren't coffee makers in the rooms. We had breakfast each morning outside on the patio in front of the hotel. The setting was beautiful and the food was nicely presented, in addition to being quite tasty! The servers were gracious and the price was right. We were treated like royalty during our stay. We have been to WDC many times and plan to return to this hotel. We have stayed in others hotels around the city, however, the Sofitel is in the best location. We have traveled extensively and like staying in nice places. Thanks for making our weekend so very special!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed September 21, 2010

From the moment we approached the entrance until we drove away, we were treated with unfailing courtesy and hospitality. The lobby, although not large, exudes subtle, confident charm and sophistication.

I especially enjoyed my dining experiences. Not only is the food excellent, the dining room is sun drenched and served a team of coordinated and gracious professionals.

It certaintly aint cheap but, the location and all other things considered, it offers a decent value.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family