“Classy, comfortable, convenient, and wonderful!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Sofitel Washington DC
Ranked #16 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Los Angeles, California
“Classy, comfortable, convenient, and wonderful!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2010

We stayed at the Sofitel for one week and it was wonderful. The room was great. The bathroom and shower was spacious and clean. It is very close to the White House (just down the street) and within walking distance to all the major sightseeing venues. The personal were so attentive and accomodating. Catching a cab was so easy because the employees were ready to help. This is a very upscale hotel. We got a good rate because of the wedding we attended. I would love to stay there again!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (411)
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
San Rafael
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2010

Arriving during 102F weather, the cool a/c enviroment in the Sofitel was a nice break.
I give highest mark for the front desk staff as well the comfortable bar area off the lobby and the comfortable room with very comfortable bed.

The hotel is located just two blocks from the White House and only one block from the metro stop so it is within a short walk to many places to visit if the weather cooporates.

The only negative aspect is internet which very expensive if accessed in your room
however they do offer free access to three computers in the lobby.

The one down side is dining due to the hotel's central location.
Unless they are frequented by visitors, most cafes are closed on the weekend as they cater to the office staff. Having stayed in Sofitel hotels in different parts of the world, I am struck by the uniform high quality of their hotels and staff.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2010

My 12 year old son and I stayed four nights at the Sofitel in June. You can't beat the location, just around the corner from the Whitehouse. The staff was wonderful! My son and I rented bikes for the stay and they kindly parked them in storage each night, even though I imgaine this is not a common request. Great bar and outdoor lounge. The rooms were clean and comfortable with nice linens. And the hotel restuarant is yummy. Fresh baked french pastries and breads daily. I would definately recommend to a friend!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Coto de Caza, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2010

My mom and I recently traveled to DC for the first time for both of us. I found the Sofitel on trip advisor and decided to give it a try, based on the great reviews. It didn't let us down. We used the concierge services even before arriving. Everyone there was so helpful from planning our tours, to restaurant suggestions and reservations, even to booking us an unbelievable private tour guide/driver for the day! When we first arrived, we checked in and noticed a strange odor in our room. They immediately found us another room and it was beautiful. The staff in the restaurant were tremendous and made us feel special and well taken care of. There is also delicious coffee every morning downstairs in the bar. The hotel was walking distance to many great restaurants, but a little far to walk to many of the monuments, although we did, even in the heat! Overall a wonderful experience and I would stay there again!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Renou, General Manager at Sofitel Washington DC, responded to this review, July 26, 2010
Dear Jodygail,

It is always such a pleasure to read wonderful comments like yours. We are delighted that you and your mother chose the Sofitel for your visit in Washington D.C. and that you enjoyed your stay with us. We really strive to make your experience with us memorable and I am glad that we succeeded. We look forward to your next visit with us and wish you a wonderful day.

Warm Regards,

Pierre-Louis Renou
202-730-8400
Burlington, Vermont
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2010

My husband and I were on business travel. The hotel staff (check-in was fair; others stellar) was among the best we've encountered at hotels around the world -- eager to help, friendly, professional and bilingual in both French and English. This recommendation doesn't come lightly from my husband who has been in the hospitality industry for more than 30 years. The hotel bar was a wonderful place to have lunch or a drink or grab a paper and coffee in the morning. The rooms were beautifully appointed with gracious art deco furniture and top technology. We cannot recommend it highly enough and would stay again here and already are looking for this chain for future travel. Please also note that we booked the hotel on HotWire.

UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2010

I stayed here while in DC for a conference. The hotel was great, in a fantastic location and the service was wonderful.

From start to finish I had a great stay. Rooms are big, clean and tastefully decorated. All the staff could not have been more helpful or attentive.

The food and drinks were all great and everything was beautifully presented.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2010

I stayed at the Sofitel to enjoy a romantic and relaxing weekend. I had wonderful experiences at Sofitels in Montreal and in New York City, but the one in DC may be more elegant. The lobby is beautiful, the bar area is always bustling but not too noisy, and the staff members at the front desk and at the concierge desk are very quick and helpful.

My room was ready when I arrived, and the hotel fulfilled my request of being on a high floor. We had a great city street view, and the windows were large (almost floor to ceiling) and added to the romantic feel. The photographs on the wall were in good taste (DC and Paris pictures), and the bed was very comfortable. The room itself is not very large, but the ceiling is high, there are full-size mirrors, and the room is well-lit. The bathroom, however, is quite large, with a separate bathtub and spacious shower. They provide L'Occitane products, which smell divine, and soft bathrobes. The first night, the hotel sent up a delicious fruit plate and piece of chocolate cake, as well as bottled waters, as we were celebrating a birthday. Every day, the cleaning staff also left Evian waters (much appreciated for the summer in DC). Another night, we ordered dessert, and it was delivered quickly. The creme brulee was okay, but the madeleines and hot chocolate were very good. The room service menu is very reasonably priced. The only "negative" thing to say is that because we were near the elevators, we sometimes heard the beeping from that. This was not a huge deal, and everything else was perfect.

The hotel bar serves both solid unusual and staple drinks and snacks. I had the best pear martini I've ever had, and my boyfriend had an interesting mango drink that had some spice to it. We had a pasta dish that was excellent, but the tuna tartatre didn't move me (it had an olive spread on it that I didn't care for). The complimentary bar snacks were good, and the waiters refilled them promptly. The atmosphere outside was also lively, and the lounge chairs and cushioned stools are very comfortable. Definitely take an hour or two before or after dinner to relax at the bar!

The location of the hotel is great for tourists. The White House is just a few blocks away, and the museums are a bit further. The hotel has a printed list of nearby restaurants, so you can ask for that and get help with reservations. For later in the night, the W, which is just across the street, has a new rooftop bar (though the line gets long starting around 11pm). For the younger bar-hopping / clubbing crowd, however, it's a bit far from Dupont Circle, U Street, Adams Morgan, and Georgetown - so just take a cab.

The Sofitel is very comfortable and perfect for couples. I highly recommend it!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple