“A Nice Hotel”

GreenLeadersSilver level
United States
“A Nice Hotel”
Reviewed January 2, 2007

The Sofitel was in a great location, only a couple blocks from the White House; 10-15 min walk to many restaurants, China Town, monuments, and the National Mall. The rooms were small, but clean (and I am fussy!). Small imperfections in the room, such as a small hole in the carpet, a sheet missing from the bed, etc-but the bed was so comfortable! I paid $160/night stayed in room 1006 (which has an awful view of the construction on the office building next door). I am happy with the price in relation to what I got (most important to me is location and cleanliness). I would not spend more than $160.
The breakfast on New Years Day was ok: $20/person and had the typical American buffet; it was nothing special and next time I think I would go somewhere else for breakfast.
We tried to get a drink in the hotels bar but, after not being served for a few minutes decided to leave (the $13 martinis persuaded us as well...restaurants in the area had $9-$10 martinis.
A piece of advice about DC: unless you like to go to a bar or club to celebrate, their NYE was pretty lame-no fireworks or anything provided by the city.
Also, make reservations at restaurants for dinner.

Overall, I am happy with my stay at the Sofitel!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — it was nice, but nothing made me say "wow"
  • Tips/Secrets — Make sure to get a good deal on the room!
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
2 Thank kaykat4533

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (417)
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Illinois
Reviewed December 29, 2006

I stayed here for three nights the last week of December. It is a good hotel in a good location but:

-The hotel's web site implies that internet access is free but that isn't so; they charge $9.95/day regardless of whether you use the provided ethernet cable or wi-fi (aT-mobile service). I used the ethernet cable, but the process of authorizing the charge each day took about five minutes (the system is very slow).

-Valet parking costs $31/day.

-The restaurant (Cafe 15) had very slow service when I eat there, even though they weren't doing much business.

• Liked — Location, staff
  • Disliked — Not disclosing charges for internet and parking
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled on business
1 Thank Patrick5
Miami
Reviewed December 29, 2006

Since this was the #1 hotel rated by trip advisor (at the time), I thought that this would be something special. I just didn't see what the fuss was about. Everything was fine, but nothing blew me away. The hotel had a nice bar, a nice (and expensive) restaurant, a decent gym, and the rooms were decent. But like I said.... nothing was particularly outstanding or noteworthy.

• Liked — The rooms were nice.
  • Disliked — Over-rated
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Miamiheat1
florida
Reviewed December 20, 2006

We stayed at the Sofitel-Washington D.C. hotel for 4 nights and it was one of the cleanest hotels we've been to. This for us ranks highest when staying outside of our home, anything else after this is a plus. We were always greeted warmly when arriving back at the hotel from a day out and when asked for extra towels or concierge information about restaurants and shops nearby, we got good feedback and service. The hotel is around the corner from the McPhearson metro stop, making sightseeing a breeze. We were able to walk to the White House comfortably and could have made the walk to the Mall area featuring the monuments and museums but the metro(subway) was the smartest option. You want to minimize walking whenever possible if you are planning on walking all day long, get a rest in when you can.

The downside of our visit didn't have much to do with the hotel since it is located in a fairly nice area with many beautiful buildings. We found it hard to find a good place to eat besides a Subway sandwich shop down the street. There are not an abundance of fast food places which is not a bad thing but we are not likely to pay $100 for dinner at the hotel restaurant and after a long day, it would have been nice to grab a bite close to the hotel. Also there are homeless people around the metro station and across the street at the park. We never had a problem with anyone but it is very disturbing when you have young children with you that see that. It's a shame that this happens down the street from the White house no less. Overall I would stay here again for the extreme cleanliness and location to the Mall for sightseeing.

• Liked — Very clean
  • Disliked — Not many restaurants in the area
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
3 Thank LotusFlowerFairy
Baltimore
Reviewed December 19, 2006

My husband and I stayed a weekend to celebrate our 11 year anniversary. I called the hotel directly to make reservations because I wanted a room with a large tub and separate shower. This was my only requirement for the room and I was assured the room had a "deep soak bathtub". We paid $350/night for a deluxe suite. Our room was not ready when we arrived at the hotel at nearly 6:00PM, so we were escorted to the bar where we were told we would be taken care of by the bartender... I thought maybe a free glass of wine or something- but no, it was about $10/drink and added tip- no compensation. We were told our luggage would be taken up to the room when it was ready- when we finally got up there our luggage was not there... more waiting. The biggest disappointment- the "deep soak bathtub" is a standard size tub raised off the ground about 6 inches- I am 5'4" and could not fit in the bathtub comfortably. My husband talked with the manager- explaining that it was our anniversary and this is not what we had asked for. He eventually offered to give us a "discount" on the presidential suite- which is thousands of dollars- great . No other compensation was offered. Also- our deluxe suite was across from the elevators with a lovely view of a rooftop and the sides of some other buildings. Our room was not cleaned until about 5:00PM. This hotel may be nice for a business stay- but not a place to stay for a romantic weekend in DC. The only good thing- the bed was amazingly comfortable- but not worth $350/night.

• Liked — the bed- very comfortable
  • Disliked — bathtub way too small
  • Tips/Secrets — ask for a room with a view, away from the elevators
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
9 Thank keaneBaltimore
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed December 7, 2006

Stayed here three times in the last year, most recently in early December for 2 nights. Low-key and relaxed is how I'd describe the place each time I've stayed. (Been there on both weekdays and weekends). The service (from doormen, to concierge to front desk) is friendly and attentive but not overbearing.

The lobby never feels crowded or too busy. I love grabbing a drink at the lobby bar - rich, warm colors and comfortable seating. (You can eat there too, but I haven't tried the food. I think they primarily serve small appetizers from the connected restaurant, but I'm not sure.) Music is not so loud that you can't have a conversation.

The rooms are also warm and inviting in design. The bed is very comfortable. Bathroom is great too, though the separate tub seems to be a waste considering its rather small size isn't exactly inviting to anyone over 5'6". My only real complaint though is that the small TV and clock radio are noticeably out-dated and feel completely out-of-place in the room. A flat screen and a radio/cd player that you could plug your mp3 player into definitely should be std in a hotel like this.

Bottom line is that over the last two years I've stayed in a number of hotels in DC (Park Hyatt, Hotel Madera, Washington Court, Hotel George, Fairmont, etc.), and this one's my favorite.

• Stayed December 2006
6 Thank avgguy1
Vancouver
Reviewed December 6, 2006

We stayed at the hotel for five nights in December. It's a small hotel and we had a good experience. It's a solidly above average hotel, but I don't think it deserves the # 1 rating. For example, the staff was very nice, but it doesn't have a pool, there is only one bar, and there is no spa.

Stayed December 2006