“Great location, nice hotel”

Sofitel Washington DC
Ranked #21 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed February 19, 2009

Spent long weekend with family in DC, had 2 rooms. Rooms were spacious, comfortable , very clean, and very quiet. Service was very good, breakfast at hotel was excellent. Very good location for sightseeing. Some small complaints: no store in hotel, some minor things that seemed out of place for a luxury hotel (such as no newspaper, 1 bathrobe in room, minibar not restocked daily), and concierge tried to steer us to expensive restaurant across the street when we asked for a casual place to eat (otherwise the service was excellent).

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank NYCVISIT
There are newer reviews for Sofitel Washington DC

Reviewed February 17, 2009

I've stayed at a few hotels in DC and this one is the best to date. My experience in DC is that usually a hotel may have great service, but not a great location, or if it has a great location, the hotel is in need of renovation. That's not the case with the Sofitel.

I stayed in a Deluxe corner room which was more than enough space for one person. The room was impecably clean and maid service was thorough. I noticed some complaining about the lack of a flat sheet, but it wasn't something that I cared about and they will deliver one if you really need it. The view was of the surrounding office buildings but they were far enough away that I could keep the curtains open without worrying. However, there was a minor problem in my room that forced me to switch to another corner room. That room was in such close proximity to an office building that I could practically read the computer screens. To avoid this, when making a reservation request a room facing the American Bar Association on 15th Street.

The location is within walking distance of the White House and the Mall and there is a Metro Stop about a block away. There is a Starbucks across the street if you just need a quick breakfast or coffee.

I never had any problems with room service and the food was excellent. I ate in the restaurant and found some of the service a little frosty. It's a French hotel/restaurant so maybe they thought that they were in Paris?

Other than these minor problems, be aware that they do not deliver newspapers to your room in the morning, which I find really unusual given that this is Washington DC and most people are there for business.

A small issue for a great hotel.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank fultonferry
Reviewed February 16, 2009

I stayed at the Sofitel Washington DC on February 14, 2009. The hotel was in a good location, just a few blocks from the White House. We used their advanced booking option in which once you book you can’t cancel (they have a few levels of booking) and paid $175 without tax. The lobby was nice, although a little dark. The front desk was very helpful with any questions we had, and we were able to check in early. I loved our room. Even though we did not have a view, everything in the room was very modern, and the little details made a difference. There was a nice flat screen TV, and the bed was extremely comfortable with its pillow top mattress and fluffy duvet. It is customary for them to not have a top sheet, but I should have asked for one as the duvet gets a little heavy at night. The bathroom was very pretty, again very modern looking. The tub was separate from the shower. The only complaint with the tub was it was small, and the water flow in both the shower and tub was very low, but that is the case with almost every hotel out there. Another detail that women will appreciate: the hair dryer was separated from wall and it wasn’t a typical hotel hair dryer, it was a nice Conair model. We did not use the bar or restaurant so I can’t comment on those. The only other drawback was the valet parking was $40, which I thought was a little steep even for city parking. We should have put in a little more effort and found our own parking somewhere near by. All in all it was a great stay and I would definitely book here again when traveling to DC.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Persephone613
Reviewed February 13, 2009

I was really looking forward to staying here, but ended up being disappointed. I travel to DC every month, so I've stayed at almost all of the hotels in the area available through Hotwire but this was my first time at the Sofitel.

Positives: location, comfortable room, fast room service (less than 20 minutes!), bar and restaurant on the premises, well-equipped bathroom with beautiful tub, lots of small amenities like cotton pads, comb, robe, slippers.

Negatives: quality of the food through room service and restaurant was ok, not great. Walls were thin--I could hear everything going on in the hallway and adjacent rooms, particularly when the water was running through the pipes. No view. Wireless internet costs $6 a day, which was actually less expensive than I expected.

Nothing was bad enough for me to complain though, and I probably would have given it a four-"dot" review overall. The biggest negative and the deal-breaker for me technically happened after my stay. After checking out and getting home that night, I realized that I had forgotten my glasses on the small glass shelf in the bathroom. I called right away and left a voicemail with the director of housekeeping (Wed night). I didn't hear back, so I called again mid-day Friday and left another message. It's been more than a week now, and I still have yet to get a response. I understand if they didn't find them or can't mail them to me, BUT AT LEAST CALL ME BACK. I found this lack of professional courtesy very irritating, and for this reason will not stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank dandel
Reviewed February 11, 2009

When arriving at the hotel I was greeted by a very friendly doorman, the reception staff were both helpful and speedy. I stayed in a Superior which had everything you could possibly want in it. I could not fault the room at all. The bed was exceptionally comfortable, the room immaculate, the attention to detail was second to none. One thing that really struck me was just how quiet it was, I couldn't hear any noise from other rooms, outside or from the corridor. I really enjoyed staying here and would highly recommend it.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed February 8, 2009

We currently live in Europe and when we travel we've always stayed at a Sofitel. We were in the D.C. area for a few weeks and decided to spend our anniversary at the hotel. I was a bit hesitant because my husband kept everything a secret but the hotel staff made all his plans come together.
They were very helpful and catered to our every need. The room was beautifully decorated and spacious. It met our expectations of the hotel. It"s so much to do in the surrounding vicinity. I highly recommend Sofitel.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 25, 2009

This hotel was such a treat. From the moment we stepped out of the cab the staff were there to greet and assist us. The hotel was very nicely decorated, a bit understated. The hotel is just a couple blocks from the White House & the National Mall and one block from a subway station, so it's very convenient to get where you need to go. The famous Old Ebbitt Grill restaurant is less than two blocks away as well - a must when dining in D.C. A deli, steakhouse and CVS are also very close in proximity to the hotel. Our room was very comfortable, the view lacked a little to be desired (we were on the third floor), and the sliding bathroom door was a bit difficult to close,(it stuck a few times) but otherwise very nice. The bathroom held a nice vase with beautiful orchids on the day we arrived, but each day after sat empty, and we were only given two bath towels each day, which when the termperature is in the 90's means you'll be calling for extra towels often, and unfortunately the staff were very slow to respond on two occasions. The bed was very comfortable, but did not have a top sheet - you'll have to request one. The room had a a large desk, flat screen television, safe and closet - room enough for all our luggage. The hotel was very quiet, we never heard a noise while in our room. We ordered room service several times during our week-long stay and each time the food was delicious and the service prompt, and actually the prices weren't too bad. For the most part the service and entire stay was excellent. I'd definitely stay there again. Just a tip, we were there the week of Labor Day and while it was hot it was a wonderful time to visit D.C. We never stood in line to see anything! We visited the Washington Monument at almost 4 p.m. and were able to get tickets and go right to the top, which is usually unheard of - the tickets for that momument are typically gone by 9 a.m. or so. There's so much to see in D.C., plan far in advance (several places, such as the Pentagon, White House, etc. require two-plus month requests for tickets) and wear really comfortable shoes - you'll do lots of walking.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple