“Great location”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Haarlem, The Netherlands
“Great location”
Reviewed July 31, 2013

We stayed 2 nights at this hotel - which is in a great location near the White House! Lovely rooms, great service too - restaurant was good but pricey. Wifi was great and free throughout the hotel and in the morning there was free tea and coffee in the bar!

• Stayed July 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (416)
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Bishops Stortford
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Clean, comfortable with helpful and efficient staff.
Probably one of the best locations if you are on a first time visit to Washington DC.
It is also handy for the Metro, there are restaurants nearby and both the Stabucks and Pret A Manger around the corner have Wifi should you use up your hotel allowance!
We would definitely stay there again if in DC.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed July 30, 2013

What a wonderful experience! This Hotel is in a perfect location in the heart of DC. The service is superb. Everything is clean and working as it should. Our ONLY complaint is that there is no drawer space to unpack our clothes (2 people for 10 days, 7 hangers and 2 small drawers that would only fit undergarments) and the glass shelf in the bathroom is a hazard that left a knot on my head. We highly recommend the Hotel restaurant Ici. We highly recommend the Hotel period! It was worth living out of our suitcase.

1 Thank SomePlaceNew702
Saint Petersburg, Florida, United States
Reviewed July 30, 2013

I can't say enough great things about my stay at the Sofitel. I stayed for 4 nights and everything was exceptional, especially the customer service. When I arrived at the hotel the bellman immediately took my bags and brought them to my room. He then gave me a nice tour of everything my room had to offer. I ate the hotel restaurant for breakfast every morning and the staff knew exactly what I wanted each morning. The food was wonderful. The croissants are to die for. The room service was equally amazing. I ordered room service twice and it was always delivered in the time quoted on the phone. I had one issue in the room while I was there. The toilet was constantly running one night. It was late that night and I called to the desk and someone was at my room within minutes. Despite the faulty toilet, I still have to give this review 5 stars because it was promptly addressed and the entire staff was extremely apologetic for any inconvenience. The hotel is in the heart of D.C. and close to a metro station if you need to get out of the city. I would stay here gain in again in a heartbeat. I can't wait to go back. I don't think I will ever stay anywhere else in D.C.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Ashley W
Alicante
Reviewed July 30, 2013

My partner and I stayed for 8 nights and thoroughly enjoyed our time at the Washington Sofitel. As stated in other reviews, the location was excellent for the White House, the Washington monument and the bus tours etc. Cab rides to George Town and the Verizon centre were less than 10 dollars! We appreciated the complimentary wifi in the room and the complimentary coffee served daily in Le Bar. Our room also had complimentary water, but I would agree with other reviews that it would have been nice to have coffee making facilities in the room also. The staff at the hotel were polite and courteous. Recognition should be given to the concierge Cameron, who was very polite and helpful, and especially to concierge Cynthia, was most knowledgable about Washington and Philadelphia. We really appreciated her help, advice and good nature. Staff like these are a real asset to front of house hotel staff. Matthew, working in Le Bar kept the drinks and banter flowing, in a very convivial and relaxed environment. We did have a small issue during our stay, which occurred one evening. We were worried it would taint our experience at the Sofitel, however the next morning, as requested manager Matthew, telephoned us promptly and immediately resolved the issue to a standard well above our expectation and satisfaction. We appreciate not everything can be perfect and hiccups do sometimes happen, it is all about how issues get resolved, and we were more than impressed with the customer service we received. Danny, on reception was also very efficient and a pleasant member of staff. All in all, if you are after a good quality hotel, with friendly staff, who care about customer service, the Sofitel will certainly not disappoint you. We will definitely be returning, and this will be our hotel of choice!

South Africa
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Amy Rives…Reservations Sales Agent… one of my favorite people in the world! Thanks to the Sofitel Hotel, Lafayette Square and Amy for absolutely outstanding service and help with our reservations.

The Sofitel Hotel is VERY close to the White House. It lies amongst other beautiful hotels, but we were very satisfied and already made another booking to stay at the Sofitel Washington DC next month… mainly because of the great location.

We did not fancy the restaurants at the hotel though. We once asked for pancakes and the lady told us that she would make an enquiry about the possibility as they did not serve breakfast at that time. She never came back with the answer, so we had a lovely meal at the restaurant just across the street. The restaurants at the hotel were not really "child friendly".

Unfortunately we did not receive complimentary water in the rooms every day, but there was a "welcoming" feeling at the hotel, that made up for it! We were also told that once you pick up a product from the fridge in the room it will be regarded as being sold after a few seconds, so you should only pick up products from the minibar if you really wanted it.

The rooms were big and even though the views were not fantastic, we enjoyed the space, the many cupboards and the Wi-Fi. They took special care of the bathroom amenities and the towels were very soft. The sleeper sofa was comfortable and the hotel is perfect for tourists.

The doormen were extremely friendly! They will really put a smile on your face! It is very easy to get a taxi and the concierge services were very helpful.

The hotel is within walking distance from the “Hop-on-hop-off” bus stop, the White House and various nice shops and restaurants. We took a taxi to see “White House down” at a movie theatre and we used the Super Shuttle transportation to book a return trip to IAD Airport. We were also able to print our boarding passes at the hotel.

Washington is a beautiful and clean city, but you will find homeless people in most of the parks. Fortunately the police are everywhere and one feels quite safe to walk around in the streets.

The Sofitel Washington DC is one of my favorite hotels!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

Wonderful welcome every time we entered the hotel.
Fantastic friendly and efficient service in Le Bar every time.
Bryan in the restaurant kept us updated on the cricket score most helpful. Mohamed made sure we had an entertaining and wonderful diner in the restaurant.
Location is ideal for seeing the sites.
Our room was a good size clean and comfortable although not a great deal of hanging space