“Sofitel Washington DC”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Rugby, United Kingdom
“Sofitel Washington DC”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2013

Very central hotel close to the White House and other places of interest, the food was excellent and the staff were all very friendly and helpful.
I was part of a larger business group and all of our needs were catered for.

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (412)
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2013

I stayed one night at the Sofitel in Washington and I really enjoyed this hotel. The rooms are very large, clean and well designed. The service is friendly and top notch. This was by far the best hotel during my business trip to the US.

Melbourne
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2013

The Sofitel is an interesting, expensive, hotel that is a bit of a disappointment. I found it difficult to rate but then decided if they want to be cheap I will rate it accordingly. Without the cheap touches it is a 4 to 5 star hotel.
I am an A Club silver member which gets me some discounts on line and a welcome drink at a Sofitel. I booked here because of the location and as a Sofitel I expected a certain standard. When checking in they gave me a drink voucher for the bar, and after my wife, Meredith, and I unpacked, we wandered down to the bar for our drinks. It turned out to be one drink, not one for each person in the room. Duh!! When we have stayed in the Melbourne Sofitel we each received a drink. I queried it and was told it was one drink for the card holder. How cheap can you get! Right in the centre of the bar was a large group of suits, and I was told it was a private function, in no uncertain terms, by a woman on the perimeter. It was a group of somewhere between 10 to 15 people surrounding a platter of finger food. They were full of their own importance and dominated the bar. Good management would have allocated them the end of the bar. I had my complimentary welcome drink and Meredith had water, having lost the taste for anything else. It did not feel like it was much of a welcome drink. We decided not to spend another dollar in the hotel after that. If they want to be cheap they will not get our custom. Such a thing takes the gloss off the hotel experience.
The room was good. King bed of high quality, bathroom unfortunately with one star toilet paper, but a separate bath and a rain shower and only one hand basin. The view out the windows on the 9th floor was of another building so the curtains remained closed. There was a refrigerator with pressure pads, so full of expensive minibar drinks, that nothing could be squeezed in. No ability to make tea either. If there is one thing we like in bed of a morning, when on holiday, it is a cup of tea. When checking in they did say there was free tea and coffee of a morning in the bar in the lobby.
Fortunately Wifi was free, however we have 5 Wifi devices with us only and one would work at a time. As Meredith used her Tablet (for her work) I tried my laptop to no avail. They had a plug in cable for $10 per day and as I needed to do some work for my business I decided to use the cable, but I could not get it to work. Eventually Meredith was finished and I discovered the Wifi on the one device at a time worked well and fast. We spent the rest of our 3 day stay connecting and disconnecting as we changed devices.
I solved the refrigerator problem by using one of those Blue cooler bags you get at a supermarket and the ice you can get on every floor of the hotel. I fill the ice bucket with ice and put it in the insulated bag, it kept the contents cold. If there was room in the refrigerator I would not have to waste my time doing this.
The room was blissfully quiet. I turned the climate control down as low as it could go, as on the bed was nothing more than a high quality duvet. Now I have an intense dislike for those things, you cannot regulate how hot you get in bed, fortunately the airconditioner got the temperature down so the effect of the Duvet was almost balanced. Each of us only awoke once in the first night due to being too hot. However on the second and third nights, we woke up too hot on numerous occasions. I should have asked for a blanket and sheets so it is my fault. .
On the first morning we went to the bar for our tea but left it half drunk as all they provided was cardboard cups, and tea does not taste so good out of them. In a 5 star (supposedly) how tough it it to provide a few mugs. On the second morning I dressed, went to the bar got two cardboard cups of tea and took them back to the room and poured them into some china mugs we carry. On the third day I did the same but this time hopped back into bed as that is where I enjoy tea on a holiday. Running down to the bar to get tea reminded me a little of having to leave the room to go to a bathroom down the hall!!!!! It is just not good enough.
This hotel I would not recommend for recreational visits, as it seems to be geared for those on business. Parking was $43 per night plus tax of $7.74.
The rooms are expensive then a room revenue tax is added.
The location is excellent, a short stroll to the White House, perfect for sightseeing. we are staying in the Sofitel New York in a few days and I certainly trust they do better.

Room Tip: If you get hot in bed ask for a blanket ans sheets and ditch the Duvet.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mmcin719
Anna Chaley C, Guest Relations Manager at Sofitel Washington DC, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
First and foremost, thank you for your loyalty to Accor and to Sofitel. We appreciate you choosing us. I am disappointed to learn that your stay with us did not meet the standards that you expect from our properties. You are correct that our loyalty program offers a welcome drink to the card holder, and due to our guest feedback, we have begun to include an additonal coupon should there be another guest in the room. Many of the topics you mentioned can be solved with just a request to our Front Desk or Guest Services team. We offer top sheets should you prefer, coffee and tea makers in the room for your convenience, as well as mini refrigerators upon request. We provide to-go coffee and tea cups for the convenience of guests in the morning, but we certainly have available proper tea cups both in the restaurant and Le Bar as well, just ask! We offer three levels of internet access; 24 hour complimentary service in the business center, a complimentary basic speed, and then a very high speed connection for $14.95 per day. Something for everyone! I wish that you had found the environment in Le Bar more welcoming. I can assure you that a private event, as you suggested, would indeed be reserved in the back or side portion of Le Bar. This was a group that sat themselves in the center, as we are first come first serve. I do hope you will join us again and I am confident that on your next visit you will experience a true Sofitel experience.

Truly,
Anna Chaley Croll
Greenville, South Carolina, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2013

I arrived at 9:30 am on a Sunday and hoped to leave my bag until I could check in later. The gentleman behind the desk offered to look for a room, and one was available. So I was able to get into my room, a welcome relief after arising at 3 am for my flight. Everything about the experience was wonderful (except a cab driver who dumped me in the middle of a block in rush hour traffice because he had an "appointment," but that was not the hotel's fault. I had a very nice salad and drink in the bar overlooking the street while I worked that evening. The hotel kept my bags during my meeting on Monday. Also, the staff seemed to recognize me each time I came and went, and I was only there for 24 hours. I will come back.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2013 via mobile

Friendly service. But why they try to greet people in French? Room cozy aand clean, very comfortable bed. But dark, next time have a head lamp when trying to find your clothes from the cabinet. Fantastic bathroom but the wash basin without the plug - complicates considerably your effort to wash your running clothes for the next morning run (I really miss M Courtyard option for wash maschine). Very pleasant stay and most likely could consider staying there also next time visiting DC as a tourist.

• Stayed June 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2013

Great service, and most comfortable bed of any hotel chain, EVER! I had gotten hotel via Priceline, and was very pleased...well above usual 4 star properties. Location is perfect for business and if touring the city.

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2013

The hotel is very close to the subway and the White House - we actually walked everywhere. The room is adequate, and you could only occasionally hear your neighbors. Service was extraordinary - they know who you are and are anxious to help in any way, with a real friendliness you usually only find in foreign countries.

It is a bit expensive and probably worth it.

Room Tip: Top floors are quieter.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple