New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

GreenLeadersSilver level
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
“Pleased & will return”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2013

We stayed here the last weekend of January 2013 and had a wonderful time. The staff was helpful, friendly and accommodating from the very moment we pulled up to the curb at 3:15 on a Friday afternoon. Our check in was swift and pleasant with our bags being brought to our room almost immediately. We were given pleasant instructions on all the amenities of the room.

The room was much smaller than I would have expected and the layout was a little odd. The TV was almost right alongside the bed. Most disappointing was the view - or lack thereof. We were facing north - looking into a vacant building that was under renovation. I considered asking for another room, but my wife talked me out of it since we would not be spending a great deal of time in the room. When I return I will request a room that faces east or south toward the White House. The king size bed was awesome! Both of us said afterward that we had not slept that well in a while.

The location was great for us. We love to walk and on Friday night we walked to dinner four blocks away. Saturday we walked to the Verizon center for a Georgetown game. Afterward we walked to the National Mall and back up 15th Street NW to the hotel.

We are not prone to spending much time in hotel bars, but Le Bar was very inviting from the outside so we went in. The staff was very friendly and very attentive and we relaxed almost immediately. We enjoyed it so much we went back on our second night for a pre dinner cocktail. We did not eat a meal here because we already had plans elsewhere, so I can not offer any comment on the food.

Bottom line - I would recommend. I would go back, I will ask for a room facing east or south on my next visit.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Renou, General Manager at Sofitel Washington DC, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. I am happy to know you were greeted with a smile and helpful hand by our bellmen and doormen who are here to assist around the clock. Please do not hesitate to let us know if you are less than satisfied with your room layout or view, as we have numerous options upon availability. I have passed your kind words on to the ambassadors in Le Bar, and hope you will have the opportunity to come back and join us in the next few months when the patio will open. The cocktails taste even better when enjoyed outside in the fresh air!

Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (398)
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2013

I just returned from DC and enjoyed my stay at the Sofitel. It is a lovely hotel with sufficient business amenities. The front desk staff were courteous, but not overly engaging. We had a pleasant experience working with the hotel to host a super bowl party with clients who were in town for the same conference. The food turned out lovely and service was good. Our only disappointment was that we were misled to believe the bar televisions were larger than they actually were. I very much enjoyed my room. The bed was extremely comfortable and the bathroom was spacious and well-appointed. I would have preferred a softer bathrobe, but was happy to at least have one. Like most downtown DC hotels, the views were not spectacular but I nonetheless received decent sunlight throughout the day. The location is truly hard to beat and I was satisfied with the price I paid. The gym was small but very up to date and clean. I would have enjoyed a spa and whirlpool, but they do not have these.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Renou, General Manager at Sofitel Washington DC, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Thank you for choosing Sofitel Washington D.C. Lafayette Square for your business trip. We are always available to work with guests to host all sorts of client events, large and small. Le Bar, iCi Urban Bistro, the Paris Ballroom and other meeting spaces can be converted into numerous setups to best accommodate the needs of the event. And do not forget, we offer complimentary wireless internet for all guests! I am glad you enjoyed our newly rennovated fitness center. Although historic guidelines in D.C. do not allow us to have a spa/pool, our concierge is availble to assist you in making arrangements close by the hotel for your convenience. We hope to welcome you and your colleagues back again soon for your next meeting.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2013 via mobile

Excellent hotel, especially when you take location and price into consideration. We stayed there this summer and are planning to come back to DC this spring, and will definitely stay at the sofitel again. The service at le bar was fantastic, and the concierge was very helpfu, friendly, and interested in our needs.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jenny S
Thank you for choosing to come back and see us again. Just wait until you experience Washington in spring, you will love it! We are walkable distance, as you know, from the National Mall, so if you come during Cherry Blossoms, it is extra convenient to see the blooms. Please do not hesitate to get in touch with us directly to assist you with your reservation and trip plans. We look forward to having you back soon!

New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2013

We booked two night weekend stay at Sofitel through Jetsetter, largely based on the glowing Trip Advisor reviews. However, after staying for one night we relocated to the Hay Adams.
There was nothing bad about Sofitel, but there was nothing spectacular either. The check-in was very impersonal and no one offered to help us with our luggage -- all we got was a nod towards the elevator. The room itself (Luxury King and I don't want to imagine what the superior room looks like) was fairly small and awkwardly appointed. The bathroom ( large, modern and quite frankly the best part of the room) is behind frosted french doors right off the side of the bed, so if one person uses it while the other is asleep, the bright light falls right across the bed. In addition, the bathroom fan is loud and there is no way to shut it off.
Room service was fast, but the menu is very limited with few vegetarian lunch/dinner choices. The food itself, with the exception of the breakfast croissants, was subpar, (the scrambled eggs were completely inedible). All staff, greet you with Bon Jour or Bon Soir and wish you Bon Appetit, but that's where the gustatory comparison ends, and we ended up going outside for another breakfast at the nearby Le Pain Quotidien.
The room was clean, but I did see a hair on the side of the bathtub, which was a bit off-putting.
The central location, soft comfortable bed and the bathroom toiletries by Lanvin are very good. Most of the staff seem nice and we were offered by the front desk to be moved to another room when we were checking out ahead of time. But the overall experience was lacking. Having stayed in better hotels in DC, I do not understand why Sofitel got rated so highly, Unfortunately, given the high rating we did expect an exceptional experience and this was really not it.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Anya K
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I am disappointed to learn only now the details of your stay. As a team we strive to provide a comfortable environment for all of our guests, acknowledging very well that everyone has personal preferences. I do wish we would have known any of this before you chose to leave, as I am confident there were many things we could have done to accommodate your needs. We have a variety of room layouts, sizes and views available, something for every preference. Chef Loquet has a lovely choice of vegetarian options in each outlet; my favorites are the butternut squash ravioli in iCi, the mushroom spring rolls in Le Bar, and the roasted vegetable and chevre sandwich through In Room Dining. If there is something particular you would like, just ask, and we will see what we can do. We are here at your service, please do not hesitate to take advantage of that! Again we appreciate your feedback, and I do wish you would join us again to enjoy a true Sofitel experience.

Newcastle
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2013

We loved our one night stop over at the Sofitel - the Concierge was so helpful as we only had 1.5 days and had to jam pack as much as we could in. The room was delightful! In a perfect location. The bed was very comfortable and all room amenitites of a high standard.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Renou, General Manager at Sofitel Washington DC, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Thank you for choosing us for your quick trip to Washington D.C. I hope you will be able to come back and join us again, this time for longer! Trust me that our fabulous Concierge Team can fill your schedule for any length of visit!

Norwalk, Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013

Beautiful hotel, great location, outstanding staff! Easy walking distance to everything we wanted to see. We had an issue in our room that was taken care of in a matter of minutes. When does that happen?!

2 small things to quibble about though. Upon check-in, we were offered an upgrade to a 'city view' room. We agreed to the upgrade but were terribly disappointed to find that our 'city view' room was actually only a view of the American Bar Association building across the street. I would not consider that a 'city view'.
Our other issue was with the bedding. While the bed and bedding was extremely comfortable, the pillow top bed and the down comforter had us roasting each night. We had to turn on the air conditioning to cool the room down. Unfortunately, that didn't really help and there were no other sheets/lighter blankets in the closet to use. If we could have opened the windows to let in the cold January/February air we would have.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ccb2
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. I am certainly glad you enjoyed your stay overall, and I have a suggestion for your next visit. Please let me know when you come back to stay with us, and I will be sure to have a top sheet added to your bed. Some guests are more comfortable with this, so we have them upon request, just ask! As for the view, although Washington D.C. is not necessarily known for the skyline silhouette, there are some pretty views, and perhaps a higher floor, and maybe facing 15th Street would help that. Again, please reach out to me and I would be happy to do what we can to accommodate. We will ensure your next stay is extra magnifique!

Tehran-Iran
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2013

the location is perfect if you are planning to visit Washington as a tourist , white house , congress , the mall and museum ( these 2 are a bit farther) are all within walking distance . however everything closes down at 6 pm around this area so if you want to walk around in the evenings its dead.
i was there for almost a week and for inauguration. the staff at front desk were amazingly welcoming and nice and did everything to help me feel comfortable however i felt that house keeping was not as sufficient as you expect in a 5 star . i hadn't have my room cleaned until 4-5 pm in the afternoon in 3 days and they came after i made some phone calls to reception .
the consiege was also very efficient and helped me with getting my tickets for inauguration in the last minute showing they know what they are doing .

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Renou, General Manager at Sofitel Washington DC, responded to this review, February 2, 2013
I hope you enjoyed seeing the Inauguration, it was such an exciting downtown, although you are right, that week, many things closed early downtown due to the festivities and street closures. Just nearby we have terrific neighborhoods for touring, shopping, dining and enjoying the great-outdoors. I apologize that your room was not cleaned as early as you wished, please feel free to let us know if you would like service at a specific time, as the Room Attendants typically take care of the rooms up until 5pm before Turn Down service begins. We would be happy to accommodate. I hope you will be able to join us again and we look forward to welcoming you back!