“Excellent DC hotel”

Sofitel Washington DC
Ranked #20 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed January 18, 2013

Right across from the White House this hotel is a great choice for business and pleasure. We booked a suite for our 3 day stay and got a huge discount by prepaying 60 days prior. The bed was luxe and worth staying just for the great sleep it delivers. Hermes toiletries help set the tone along with complimenatry coffee free wifi. Only complaint was the food bills automatically add 18% service so you inadvertently end up tipping as well and pay 36% service/tip.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Svensky
Renou, General Manager at Sofitel Washington DC, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2013

Thank you for providing your feedback, I am glad you were happy with your suite and our hotel amenities. We are thrilled to now offer a complimentary option for wifi internet access! In our restaurant, like many luxury hotels, we do include an 18% gratuity to our breakfast only. Our ambassadors should certainly point this out to our guests, however, and if there is any discrepancy we would be happy to make the necessary adjustments. We look forward to welcoming you again on your next visit to the states!

Reviewed January 18, 2013

Again, my friend must've had a deal going with Sofitel because this was a gift and I don't know how much my room was, but it was very nice. As was the Sofitel in Philadelphia. I can't say enough, but I would probably never spend as much money as my friend did but the place was very beautiful and clean, great central locale in DC as well. It's well reviewwed on here and should be.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo

I am happy you found Sofitel Washington D.C. and Sofitel Philadelphia both to be such beautiful properties. You may be surprised if you have a look at our website. There are often deals, packages and last minute specials available, especially for weekend visits. Hopefully you will be able to join us again soon.

Reviewed January 17, 2013

I would say this is one of the top hotels I have stayed in. I like the Sofitel chain and when looking for a more upscale hotel, I always pick them if available.

This one was even more exceptional! The Staff, meaning ever one, could not have been more friendly or helpful. The bedding was comfortable and slept well the entire three nights of our stay, which is not the case most of the time I travel.

The restaurants and bar were great, with also a helpful, friendly and efficient staff. It had a very small hotel feel, with every one recognizing you and making you feel welcome.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dingNyc

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us, I am happy to know you enjoyed your stay! We pride ourselves in creating a personal, welcoming and comfortable environment, like a home away from home. We look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed January 15, 2013

Great service, fantastic location, great food, big rooms, great beds! You don't need to say more. I have stayed there many many times and it's always a pleasure. The breakfast is just divine: I love their French Toasts and the smoothie that every one gets! The bar is also very cool.
THE hotel in Washington. I ll back !

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Leendert d

Thank you for your loyalty to Sofitel Washington D.C. Lafayette Square. It is our pleasure to be your hotel of choice in our nation's capital and we look forward to welcoming you back "many many" more times in the near future!

Reviewed January 14, 2013

Very nice property in an excellent location. Beautiful lobby and bar area. That said, I do not recommend reserving a room under any "special occasion" designation such as "romance package." We are locals (less than 50 miles outside of DC) but were in the city for business so decided to make a night of it in DC and reserved the romance package. This package was to include champagne and room service breakfast. On check-in the front desk clerk acknowledged the reservation under the package name but she did not offer any information on when we might like the champagne or how to order breakfast, so I asked. She was uncertain and left the desk to ask someone in the back office. She returned shortly, handed me two tickets and said that we could redeem these for room service breakfast the next morning. Following her instruction, we did order breakfast the next morning in our room. It was excellent...french-press coffee, french pastries, etc., and it was delivered promptly. We handed over the breakfast tickets and that was that. But...on check-out, a room service charge of over $60 had been added to our bill. I pointed that out and the correction was made....done, right? Nope...on checking my credit card activity, the amount of the billing from the hotel still included the room service breakfast charge At this writing, this issue remains unresolved. Bottom line....don't reserve a room with a "special occasion" rate at this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Fastpitch1
Renou, General Manager at Sofitel Washington DC, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2013

We are happy to be your staycation spot of choice in the city, thank you for choosing us. I am sorry to hear that your experience was not completely satisfactory. The Romance Package is one of our most popular packages, and I can assure you that this is a unique experience for there to be confusion with details regarding in-room breakfast. The champagne and amenities are prepared and sent immediately following your arrival to ensure freshness and quality of the treats and ice. If you are staying for multiple nights, the Front Desk Ambassador will inquire as to the day and time you would prefer delivery. We hope that you will come back and join us for your next special occasion. Book a package again and I am confident you will not be disappointed!

Reviewed January 13, 2013

I stayed at Sofitel Washington for my engagement holidays. The room was great, the service was exceptionnal. I have been helped throughout the stay by Anna (guest relations manager) in order to prepare all the "special occasions" I needed for the proposal. Chris the doorman was always smiling and extremely kind with us. Germain the concierge was also very helpful.
I travel a lot all year long, and usually I do not take to time to rate and comment all the hotels where I stay. But this time I definitely had to do it.
We will remember this stay for a long time.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Bonjour! What a treat it was to be a part of your special proposal. We all loved being there to create a fabulous celebration, especially when she said YES! We wish you a sparkling 2013 and much happiness in your future marriage.

Reviewed January 10, 2013

My husband and 23 yr old son joined me for 6 days in Washington DC. I was not familiar with the city and had searched several of the high end hotels. Two never answered my emails, the Sofitel did and offered me a great deal on a Jr Suite , fold out couch/bed , two rooms . The friendly emails convinced me to give it a try. Best decision ! Everyone is so friendly, helpful and thoughtful . Room was good size, son said the fold out bed was comfy, service is excellent.
From Ray at the door who suggested the Spy Museum to the wonderful wait staff Mouna, Eber, and Peter the waiter assistant, all made our stay very very pleasant !
The location is excellent , you are close to everything. Much better then staying out in Georgetown or DuPont Circle. If you don't want to eat at the very nice hotel restaurant ICI Urban Bistro , there are at least 5 good restaurants within 2 blocks , 2are across the street ,plus a Five Guys and Subway half a block . I could walk to the White House and I'm unfit !

Only complaint is no free WiFi.

Without hesitation I recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank 5starry

I hope you enjoyed your visit to Washington D.C., and thank you for choosing Sofitel! Our junior suites are indeed convenient for families traveling together. Guests love the separate living room with the sliding door that provides some extra privacy. We have passed on your kind words to our ambassadors, and thank you very much for sharing your experience. We hope to be your hotel of choice in Washington D.C. and worldwide!