WINNER WONDERLAND

Sofitel Washington DC
Ranked #11 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
McLean, Virginia
“A great place with some technical issues”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2012

We spent a night the sofitel, the welcome was very warm and the staff very attentive to our needs. We set the system to keep the room at 68 and had a rather difficult night when we realize the morning after that the system did not do what it was supposed to do. We expressed the event to the front desk and they honestly could not have cared less about our lack of comfort that night. Does this mean that the customer is no longer a priority from the time they are ready to check out? I hope the management will read this review and reply accordingly. Otherwise great location in the heart of downtown, excellent amenities, inside and out. Will return assuming that these problems are guaranteed to be resolved.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Marc O
Renou, General Manager at Sofitel Washington DC, responded to this review, December 29, 2012
Thank you for choosing Sofitel for your visit to Washington D.C. Although I am pleased to know you enjoyed your welcome, and the service from our ambassadors, I am sorry to hear that you felt your feedback at checkout was not properly acknowledged. I can assure you that we take situations like this very seriously, and appreciate when our guests take the time to bring them to our attention so that we may quickly find a resolution. I know that the engineering team was sent to your room following your departure, and were able to adjust the unit. I am confident when you return to stay with us again that you will enjoy a flawless Sofitel experience.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (398)
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Durban, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2012

Stayed here with wife and 2 children in December 2012- booked a family room with 2 double beds. On arrival, our room was not ready- but the extremely helpful front desk staff arranged a free upgrade to a junior suite- which was great. All the staff that we encountered- from the front desk to the concierge, the bell-men and restaurant staff were really good- friendly, efficient and helpful. The room was of a high standard, and the meals (we had 2 breakfasts and 2 lunches at the hotel)- were of great quality.
Location was perfect- very close to the White house, close to metro station and sight-seeing bus stop, and within walking distance of Washington monument and most Smithsonian museums. Chinatown is a mere 15 minute walk and has a variety of good restaurants (mostly not Chinese!)
In summary- this is a very high quality hotel, with well trained staff. It is obvious that they strive to maintain a high standard. In fact because of our experience at this hotel, I will try to use the Sofitel group wherever possible.

2 Thank TreveP
Thank you for choosing Sofitel for your family trip to the nation's capital! I hope you enjoyed the junior suite, we love that sliding door that separates the living room area for just a little bit of privacy. There are new restaurants opening up each day, so be sure to come back in the spring or summer to join us again. Cherry Blossom season feels just around the corner!

Winston Salem, North Carolina, USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2012

What a pleasure to visit DC while staying at the Sofitel. From the front desk to the bellman to the staff in the bar everyone was gracious and caring. It was obvious the staff wanted my family to have an excellent experience. The rooms were very generously sized, well appointed and immaculately clean. I just loved the Lanvin toiletries as well. In addition the hotel is well situated for sightseeing and for catching the Metro. I would highly recommend this hotel.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to provide your experience with us. I am happy to know you enjoyed our brand new Lanvin bath amenities, we are very pleased with them as well! I look forward to welcoming you back in 2013, and until then, Happy New Year!

Rossendale, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2012

Stayed just one night after reading tripadvisor's rating. We were not disappointed. REALLY pleasant friendly staff, very comfortable room, perfect location for white House and The Mall. Special comment for the door staff,often over looked, they were so friendly and helpful. Eat here, great value. Breakfast perfection, not the usual buffet. Alacarte and cooked to perfection and presented perfectly. THis was tremendous value. we will certainly return. It was so unlike a capital City hotel that caters for lots of passing trde. They realyy seemed to care. therer was aprblem on arrival not of our making, it was expedias fault. However it was instanly and very cheerfully resolved. Downside no Spa. But so what, get out and see this spectacular City!

2 Thank john k
Thank you for choosing Sofitel, and for using Trip Advisor as a tool for your travels. We hope to welcome you back in the New Year, and do not hesitate to ask the concierge team to arrange for a spa experience just near the hotel. We can also set up an in room massage for you through one of our professional masseuse partners!

ATL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2012

I stayed at thi Sofitel for the first time last week. It is located very, very close to the White House near Lafayette Square. It is in prime location whether for holiday or business (and close to metro stops).

I stayed with a promotion they had that offered a chocolate treat one of the days between 2-5PM. It was a nice plate with 3 different mini pastries and my choice of tea and hot chocolate. Very nice though I had to rush out of work to make it on time.

The bar at the hotel is excellent. The decor creates a great ambience and on warmer months, it also operates outside which I imagine is great for people watching. The specialty cocktails are very nice (and dangerous as I could sip them all night!). I especially liked the Lafayette. The mixologist/bar manager and his staff were very friendly and knowledgeable. I also tried some of the appetizers and the croque monsieur is as good or as better as the ones I used to eat when I was stationed in Paris a decade ago.

Maybe because of the discounted rate, I got a room for handicapped people so I am not sure if the layout/furniture is typical of the rest of the rooms. It was VERY spacious so I could feel I had two different sections of the room. The bathroom was also huge. I wish the room had had stronger lighting towards the door but it had nice small lamps bedside and above the bed.

The hotel also has a gym that is well stocked for a hotel gym and that is not a converted guestroom. I felt like exercising, not running away, when I was there and that's success for any hotel!

I look forward to stay here again when I return to DC in 2013!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank ilivetotravel_Raul
Thank you for providing your feedback from your experience with us at Sofitel Washington D.C. It seems like you booked the Winter Collection package, and were able to enjoy Pastry Chef Bitauld's chocolate treats, aren't they divine?! Alan Jones is our proud manager of Le Bar, and the creativity behind many of the handcrafted cocktails. They will be designed seasonally, so come back and join us in the warmer months when you can enjoy the patio outside. You can even stop by the concierge for a running map as well, if you can bring yourself to leave our brand new renovated fitness center. We will see you in the New Year!

NYC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2012

Our family was in town for some holiday shopping and to see a show. The location was convenient to several restaurants, the White House Christmas Tree and the theatre where we were seeing the show. It was convenient to shopping as well. We had booked a suite, which was lovely. It was spacious, very clean, and it had great amenities. The tub was large, and it was nice to have both the tub and the shower. there was a foldout sofa for our daughters to share, and there was a large bedroom with great closet space. We had room service for dinner, which was served fast and the food was good. The overall service was what impressed us all. They had special coloring books and toys for our girls. I sustained an injury during our visit, and they were helpful in directing my husband to obtain services we needed. They also allowed us to check out later than regular checkout time so that I could feel well enough to travel. We really appreciated this last touch. Overall, a great stay, and we would return (we come to DC regularly).

Room Tip: suites are great for families. it is quiet and overlooks a courtyard. there is parking. we did no...