“Never been so underwhelmed in my life”

Sofitel Washington DC
Ranked #20 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Wow, if this is now D.C's no1 hotel, I feel sorry for you guys and I shan't be returning. I returned about a week and a half ago from a four night stay here and I was very disappointed. The door and reception staff were very welcoming on arrival, and the door staff remained so throughout the stay. Opening the taxi doors as I stepped out, always offering a 'welcome back' etc, this really helped make the rest of the medicrity.
I wouldnt say I am demanding traveller, but I would say I'm among the target market for this brand, a travelling young professional, and when I pay that amount for a service I expect to get it.
As its been a few days since I returned I probably would have forgot most of this things that erked me so much but I'll recall what still annoys me.
I found the houskeeping service very inconsistent. I got to the room in the late afternoon, no slippers. Nevermind, i thought, I won't use them right now anyway, they'll bring some in the morning. When did turn up? Night number 4.
Used a glass to have a sip of water to take some antibiotics evening 1. The half filled glass, with saturday's lipgloss, was still there on monday evening.
There is a doorbell on the room, but the housekeeping staff barely used it. Just walked it.
2 nights out of 4 my room wasn't turned down, fair enough, I was in the room late on the first night. The second night, left in the early evening, came back at 1. Still no turn down.
I learnt my lesson, I decided call down for turn down when left the room. Now how can you honestly say you've turned down a room and leave the empty martini glass brought up from the bar downstairs? And leave the iron out?
It was really annoying that the bathroom products that were actually used, weren't replaced. Instead I just recieved additional bottles of the ones I never needed. Nothing more frustrating then getting in the shower and realising the shower gel hasn't been replaced. Only a quarter bottle from the previous day, that wasn't even left in the soap dish, not to say that's where the confusion lay.
I was allowed to check out late, which was nice, but when it came down to actually checking out, I waited for 20 minutes while the manager gave some guests checking in her version of the Zagat guide. Now I realise that its important to give guest recommendations etc, but a queue of other guests trying to check in was building up. Surely it would have been better to offer the guest you are with the chance to go up to their room, put their things down and relax, and they can then come down in their own time and ask for you.
When it finally came time to leave, I have to say, I wasn't sad to go. Go thing too, because after I collect my bags from storage it almost felt like a was propelled out the door into a taxi, by what seemed to be a rather stressed out bellman.
After my experience, I couldn't honestly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank FlyingDrV
Renou, General Manager at Sofitel Washington DC, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2012

Thank you for providing us with your feedback from your stay. It appears, like so many guests, that you enjoyed the personal and genuine service our team is so well known for. I am disappointed to know, however, that your experience with your in room service was not the same. I can assure you this is atypical of our room attendants, as they work to provide detail oriented service for each of the guest rooms both during the day, and for our nightly turn down. We recognize the time sensitivity for the schedules of many of our business guests, which I imagine is the reason for our bellman's efficiency in assisting you with your luggage and transportation. Both our concierge team and I have quite an extensive knowledge of recommendations for making the most of our fabulous city and I hope you have the opportunity to come back and visit us again. I would be happy to personally arrange your reservation.

Truly,
Anna Chaley Croll
Guest Relations Manager

Reviewed October 8, 2012

My wife and I stayed here on a "staycation" to celebrate a special birthday. Since I'm a gold member of Sofitel's A-Club, we decided to check out the local option. While the service was efficient and the room was clean, we didn't experience any of the "amazing" service described in other reviews. I had requested early check-in, which didn't turn out to be available (fine). They offered to call me when our room was ready - we never got a call. Additionally, they were aware we were there for a special occasion and they never acknowledged it. Finally, the TV and floor lamp in our room were broken - while they were fixed promptly, there was no apology.
We did receive one drink coupon for my gold status, so we enjoyed a drink at the bar, but the second glass of house champagne was $19! For house champagne? Even in Washington, that seems outlandish.
Our room did have a view of 15th street - it was unclear whether we were upgraded, but the room was pretty small. The bed was comfortable - a standard with Sofitel.
Overall, while it was a fine stay, every time they had a chance to make it special, they didn't. What's the point of showing brand loyalty?

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you first and foremost for your loyalty to the Accor brand and to Sofitel hotels. I am sure you have come to expect the high level of luxury service and personal recognition at our properties, and here at Sofitel Lafayette Square we are no different. As you suggested, you did receive a complimentary upgrade on your room type along with a welcome drink for your Le Club status. We pride ourselves in providing tailormade service especially for special occasions, and I will be in touch directly regarding these details and follow up. I hope for the opportunity to welcome you back to your local Sofitel.

Truly,
Anna Chaley Croll
Guest Relations Manager

Reviewed October 7, 2012

This hotel was excellent. The service was very welcoming. The rooms were very well equipped. The location was great, especially for the White House. I would recommend staying here, and will do so again when I return to Washington.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 6, 2012

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Sofitel. As we were traveling with our two teenagers the hotel staff moved us into a family sized room with two doubles and a sofa bed. The room was huge and very comfortable! There was some Internet issues but they were quickly resolved. The quality of both the food and service in the restaurant downstairs was superb, particularly the service from the waiting staff - they have an absolute passion for service. The hotel is well located, you can easily get to all the tourist attractions. I can highly recommend this hotel - we would certainly stay here again if we were to visit Washington. Thank you to the Sofitel for creating a wonderful memory.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Kelly K
Reviewed October 2, 2012

There is a reason why this place is the top hotel in Washington as per trip advisor review website:
Location - just amazing, being literally 5 minutes walk from the White House and same time from the nearest tube station
Room - very comfortable, bed and bathroom are definitely a plus in all Sofitels
Bistro - very good food, french / mediterran style; great service
Overall service - staff very nice, polite but friendly, always there for you if needed
If I was visiting Washington again I would definitely choose this hotel and recommend it to anyone - it has made our visit to the US capitol even more special

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 2, 2012

This is our 3rd visit to the Sofitel and we would not stay anywhere else!!! It is a boutique hotel in an amazing location ( 2 blocks from the White House, close to major attractions and great restaurants). The rooms are very nice (although a bit small ) with a most comfortable bed, spotless bathrooms and very quiet, even on the street side with views. Try to get the Senior rate if you qualify and do take the Red Hop on Hop off bus for a fun ride around the city... it takes you to all the major tourist sights and you get a river cruise thrown in for free if you do the 2 day pass. We enjoyed a lovely breakfast there and Le Bar is a real treat for an evening cocktail and light meal. We will be back!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 30, 2012

This has to be one of the best hotels i have stayed in, and i have travelled all over the world.

Location is the best, it is right in the heart of it all yet quiet at night. When you come out of the hotel, turn right for downtown and left for the white house and the Smithsonian it really is that central.

The room is as expected, lovely and luxurious and more importantly, clean. The bathrooms are modern and clean and the shower is superb.

The reception and concierge are really helpful and the hotel bar is a cool place to be at night along with the hotel restaurant which is really good and not that pricy.

Overall i recommend this hotel 100%...could not fault it.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple