“Great Location and Comfortable Room”

Sofitel Washington DC
Ranked #15 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Chicago, Illinois
“Great Location and Comfortable Room”
Reviewed September 30, 2012

Located within walking distance to the White House and a Metro Station which will take you anywhere in the City, this place makes for a great place to stay while in DC. Front desk was helpful and the Concierge assisted us the entire time we were there with what to see, where to eat, etc. . . Room was clean and the bathroom was large - bed was the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in while at a Hotel. The Restaurant downstairs was excellent but a bit on the high side. If the weather is good try sitting outside. I would not rent a car unless you are venturing outside of the DC area - The Metro will take you anywhere you want to go and the week pass is $35 if I remember correctly. Great stay in DC

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Travel574

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (414)
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Nashville
Reviewed September 28, 2012

Stayed at Sofitel for 2 nights while attending a conference in DC. I would highly recommend it! The hotel is lovely, the room was very comfortable with a truly heavenly bed! The room was very quiet at night. Wonderful, attentive staff! I would definitely stay here again!

losangeles
Reviewed September 27, 2012

I just returned from my annual visit to Washington, DC, and my much anticipated stay at the Sofitel. Once again, an incredible experience. The staff is accommodating and professional; they greeted me by name upon arrival. The property is well maintained and very pleasing. The guest room was very comfortable and well appointed. Overall, great amenities. A newly remodeled and equipped fitness center. Excellent cuisine in the restaurant. Really, an incredible experience. Clearly, this property has great leadership that understands how to deliver the best client service. Well done.

1 Thank losangelesnativeone
Reviewed September 27, 2012

We spent just a little over 24 hours in DC for a last minute weekend getaway. We probably could have chosen something cheaper, but knowing that we would be pounding the pavement in brutal heat and humidity, the Sofitel being a "luxury" hotel was worth checking in to. First time staying at a Sofitel hotel and to DC, we chose to stay fairly central to all our sightseeing plans. We quickly realized though that all the museums and monuments weren't as close as we thought. To cut down on travel time the subway was definitely needed a few times which is within walking distance to the hotel. That being said, valet parking was almost $40 dollars.

We arrived a couple of hours early and luckily our room was ready. :D Our 11th floor room was facing an alley so not too exciting. It would have been nice to have had a city view for being on a higher floor had we stayed longer. The best part of the stay was having a relaxing bath and then lounging around afterwards in my robe and slippers. One downside is WiFi access is not free. Something I would expect to be included, but at least I have a data plan.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
South Australia
Reviewed September 26, 2012

I spent 7 nights here during early September, and I can certainly see why this hotel's trip advisor ranking has continued its rise in Washington DC. I was in Washington for business but my wife was with me as a tourist.

I very much enjoyed the general atmosphere of the hotel. Staff were friendly, courteous and attentive.

Our room was one that faced into a central courtyard area. My wife and I were not too fussed with missing out on a street view as it was certainly quiet. The room itself was arranged as a narrow rectangle with the bed in the middle and the TV off to the right and bathroom off to the left. This made watching TV in bed difficult as you had to lie on your side. Also of note, there was no master switch in our room to turn all the lights off at bed time, which was irritating. Finally the standard lamp had an extremely bright fluorescent bulb which was not obscured by the shade when lying in bed at a lower angle. These things are all relatively minor, but stuck in my mind as I was constantly having to get up and muck around with the lights. The beds themselves were comfortable. Cleanliness was excellent. There was a small amount of wear on the bathroom cabinetry which is expected with veneered surfaces.

The restaurant area where breakfast is served is nice as you can also sit outside. We often found that if you arrived mid morning there were usually several tables that were not cleared, and even though the restaurant wasn't full we were required to wait whilst a table was set. The food in this area is of a reasonable standard.

Le Bar which includes an excellent outdoor seating are was great. Here the staff were always attentive. Complimentary nibbles were also much appreciated by my wife and I. This area was well situated and a great way to relax at the end of a day.

This hotel is well situated. We were able to walk everywhere from the White House down to the Monument, Lincoln memorial, the Smithsonian, etc. and even across to Arlington.

So overall I would recommend this hotel and would stay here again.

I did not score it as excellent because of the issues with the room as mentioned, breakfast dining experience and lack of free wi fi.

I hope you found my review helpful.

1 Thank Elphenstone
Montreal
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Been there in septembre 2012. Great classic hotel in the center of town at walking distance from the WhiteHouse. Spacious rooms, well furbished and renovated. Great service with friendly staff that always have the nice touch of a "bonjour" everytime you walk them by...

Coffee available every morning downstairs, and a daily edition of the journal "Le Monde", if you're interested.

Would definitlively look forward to staying there again, for a business or romantic trip.

Palm City
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Top shelf service! Every staff member was extremely polite and helpful. Rooms are imaculate and newly updated. We had a cocktail in the bar and the staff couldn't have been nicer and the drinks were the best. This hotel is close to everything. Loved it!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple