Sofitel Washington DC
The Watergate
$172
$162
  • Pool
Capitol Hill Hotel(Washington DC)
$299
$239
  • Breakfast included
$457
$339
  • Pool
Washington Court Hotel(Washington DC)
$441
$242
Agoda.com
  • Room Service
$286
$265
Official Website
  • Restaurant
Holiday Inn Washington - Capitol(Washington DC)(Great Value!)
$221
Hotels.com
  • Pool
Fairmont Washington, D.C. Georgetown(Washington DC)
$227
Hotelpower.com
3,320 results
All reviewswhite housele barluxury roomlafayette squareroom serviceebbitt grillcity viewturn down servicecorner roomjunior suitetwo blocksbed was very comfortableconcierge deskmini barhotel barwonderful hotelnational mall
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 27, 2012

We spent just a little over 24 hours in DC for a last minute weekend getaway. We probably could have chosen something cheaper, but knowing that we would be pounding the pavement in brutal heat and humidity, the Sofitel being a "luxury" hotel was worth checking in to. First time staying at a Sofitel hotel and to DC, we chose to stay fairly central to all our sightseeing plans. We quickly realized though that all the museums and monuments weren't as close as we thought. To cut down on travel time the subway was definitely needed a few times which is within walking distance to the hotel. That being said, valet parking was almost $40 dollars.

We arrived a couple of hours early and luckily our room was ready. :D Our 11th floor room was facing an alley so not too exciting. It would have been nice to have had a city view for being on a higher floor had we stayed longer. The best part of the stay was having a relaxing bath and then lounging around afterwards in my robe and slippers. One downside is WiFi access is not free. Something I would expect to be included, but at least I have a data plan.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 26, 2012

I spent 7 nights here during early September, and I can certainly see why this hotel's trip advisor ranking has continued its rise in Washington DC. I was in Washington for business but my wife was with me as a tourist.

I very much enjoyed the general atmosphere of the hotel. Staff were friendly, courteous and attentive.

Our room was one that faced into a central courtyard area. My wife and I were not too fussed with missing out on a street view as it was certainly quiet. The room itself was arranged as a narrow rectangle with the bed in the middle and the TV off to the right and bathroom off to the left. This made watching TV in bed difficult as you had to lie on your side. Also of note, there was no master switch in our room to turn all the lights off at bed time, which was irritating. Finally the standard lamp had an extremely bright fluorescent bulb which was not obscured by the shade when lying in bed at a lower angle. These things are all relatively minor, but stuck in my mind as I was constantly having to get up and muck around with the lights. The beds themselves were comfortable. Cleanliness was excellent. There was a small amount of wear on the bathroom cabinetry which is expected with veneered surfaces.

The restaurant area where breakfast is served is nice as you can also sit outside. We often found that if you arrived mid morning there were usually several tables that were not cleared, and even though the restaurant wasn't full we were required to wait whilst a table was set. The food in this area is of a reasonable standard.

Le Bar which includes an excellent outdoor seating are was great. Here the staff were always attentive. Complimentary nibbles were also much appreciated by my wife and I. This area was well situated and a great way to relax at the end of a day.

This hotel is well situated. We were able to walk everywhere from the White House down to the Monument, Lincoln memorial, the Smithsonian, etc. and even across to Arlington.

So overall I would recommend this hotel and would stay here again.

I did not score it as excellent because of the issues with the room as mentioned, breakfast dining experience and lack of free wi fi.

I hope you found my review helpful.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Elphenstone
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Been there in septembre 2012. Great classic hotel in the center of town at walking distance from the WhiteHouse. Spacious rooms, well furbished and renovated. Great service with friendly staff that always have the nice touch of a "bonjour" everytime you walk them by...

Coffee available every morning downstairs, and a daily edition of the journal "Le Monde", if you're interested.

Would definitlively look forward to staying there again, for a business or romantic trip.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Top shelf service! Every staff member was extremely polite and helpful. Rooms are imaculate and newly updated. We had a cocktail in the bar and the staff couldn't have been nicer and the drinks were the best. This hotel is close to everything. Loved it!!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Excellent service from the moment you enter the doors. The greeters and the front desk were efficient and super friendly. They know you by name during our 3 day stay. Kid friendly. Staff was always making sure the kids were taken care of. And they would give them high-fives. My 3 year old son loved the attention!

The hotel is about 2 blocks from White House. When I made the reservation, they said it was across the street from the White House, but it wasn't so.

Hotel is clean. Great L'Occitane amenities. Shampoo, Conditioner, Body Lotion, Qtips, Cotton pads, Nail Files, Shower Caps. Free coffee & tea in the morning downstairs. Bathroom was nice & open. Marble, standup glass shower, tub, 1 sink vanity. Beds were super comfortable. Bose alarm radio was nice. Reminds me of home.

They even gave the kids a plate of cookies & milk our second night. That was a great touch!

We ate at the Hotel restaurant Ici and the food was wonderful. Staff was great & attentive. Could have been slightly faster service. Entrees about $27, dessert about $10. Try the guava mousse & lichi ice cream dessert. Wow!

While we were at the hotel, we visited the White House, Toured the Capital Building, Walked the Mall to see the Washington Monument, Lincoln Memorial, Reflection Pool, World War II memorial, Air & Space Museum, The National Zoo.

Go to Founding Farmers Restaurant for breakfast. Delicious! About 1/2 mile walk.

Don't go to AuBon Pain on G and 13th street. Super small and not a great selection.

Parking at hotel is about $46 per night. In & out valet privileges. Wish the pull up area to the hotel was larger. Seemed it was only convenient for 2 cars at a time.

Wish they would add strollers to borrow at the concierge desk as they have at the Peninsula hotels.

Would highly recommend.

Room Tip: Maybe ask for a room with a view. We didn't have a view except towards a large building.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family