“cool refuge in blinding heat”

Sofitel Washington DC
Ranked #21 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 9, 2012

This is my second time staying at Sofitel, DC. This time I was in Junior Suite Room 819. As usual check in was quick with no issues. Room was very clean and staff fulfilled special request of having a room fan as well as a refrigerator present when we arrived. The staff is always low key, non pushy and easy going. Bed was very firm once I removed the cumbersome featherbed that so many hotels provide these days. I dislike them and always shuck them off lmmediately in favor of what I sleep on at home (sheets and blankets). Room was quiet until last the night when a loud guest took the room above me. Sofitel supplies sound systems with subwoofers which can quickly rumble the walls of adjoining rooms. To me this is a bad decision on their part. Bathroom was clean, but wife did not like that there was no convenient place to apply makeup while sitting down. Sofitel Philadelphia, for example had a table adjacent to bathroom for this purpose. Hotel Bar is quite expensive and staff is often missing for five to ten minutes at a time. Bar is styled in the chic-cool style which does not appeall to me. Location is very convenient to WhiteHouse and Capitol Bikeshare station.

Room Tip: Go for the Junior suites. Two televisions and a homey feel.
1  Thank jsc632000
Renou, General Manager at Sofitel Washington DC, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2012

Thank you for your loyalty to the Sofitel brand. We love to welcome guests who have stayed at our sister properties like Philadelphia, New York and Chicago. The junior suite you stayed in is perfect for many guests, with a king bed, living room area, and sliding door in between. Each room is equipped with brand new Bose radios with iPod docks. I am sorry you were disturbed from exterior noise, in the future, please be sure to make us aware of any inconveniences and we will do everything in our power to address it. Also for your comfort, we can easily defeather your room and bedding so that you may rest more easily with sheets and blankets. If you mention this to a front desk or reservation agent, they can see to it that it is on your profile and taken care of even before you arrive for your next visit. I hope to welcome you back again soon.

Truly,
Anna Chaley Croll
Guest Relations Manager

There are newer reviews for Sofitel Washington DC

Reviewed July 9, 2012

Great hotel, elegant, with French- and English-speaking staff. Great service, VERY friendly and helpful in every way. Excellent bistro-style restaurant, and one of the best outdoor seating areas in the District -- great for an evening cocktail and people watching.

We stayed over the 4th of July, so while tens of thousands of people were camping out in the sweltering heat to save spots for the fireworks extravaganza over the National Mall, we sipped cocktails until dusk, then strolled the block and a half to Lafayette Square and watched the fireworks over the White House. Beautiful display, and we only had the 5 minute walk back to the hotel.

The Sofitel is also just a few blocks from all the monuments and museums, so we spent the week walking everywhere. And there are dozens of fantastic restaurants nearby. Use location apps to find the best places and read the user reviews. But a few of our faves: Rasika was WONDERFUL for Indian food, and Ping Pong was lots of fun for Chinese dumplings/dim sum. We also really enjoyed Sequoia, in nearby Georgetown, for outdoor dining on the Washington Harbor, while kayaks and rowing crews slide by in the adjacent water.

But back to the Sofitel -- fresh (serve yourself) coffee every morning in the cafe -- drink it there or take it back to your room. Room service was friendly, accurate and prompt, and the food was VERY good, with a nice variety of offerings.

There are doormen always present, and they are as helpful as the concierge, with directions and quick advice, and they will have a taxi for you in mere seconds, any time day or night. The desk staff also happily provided us with an extended checkout on our last day, as we had a late flight home.

Great stay, sophisticated place and friendly staff, upscale feel at a reasonable price, and a tremendous location. We will definitely be back!

3  Thank Kirk_Hardcastle
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I recently stayed at the Sofitel Hotel for a night. I spent the night in DC celebrating my 30th birthday. I got a good price on the room (via Hotwire), and went ahead and pulled the trigger on the room. I live locally, but about a 30 min. drive from DC. Knowing I'd be drinking, I figured a hotel was best and I could cab it or walk if I had to. Well walking was out because it was 100+ degrees outside. But luckily my girlfriend and I went to a restaurant about 4 blocks away. So I drove and paid the $10 valet at the restaurant...Back to the hotel...So I arrived at the hotel to check in at about 530pm. Pulled right up to the hotel, they don't have a turnaround or parking lot, so you're basically on 15th street when you pull up. But the valet greeted me promptly and even gave me some other parking options as parking is a little on the steep side ($36/night). There are a couple parking lots a lot cheaper a couple blocks away. But since I was only staying one night and it was my bday, I figured why not! Went ahead and gave the valet my keys. I met one of the attendants when I got out of my car and he took my bags, and had a bellman take them to my room at check-in. The attendant ask me a few questions about my stay, where I was from, etc. I figured the guy was just being nice. I told him I was going to dinner with the gf to celebrate my bday. At check in, it was a very easy check-in at the front desk, no issues, I was given a top floor room, which was great. The rooms are super nice and plush: Marble floors in the bathroom. separate tub and shower, Flat screen TV, Bose sound system w/ I-pod dock, lovely bathrobes and slippers provided, etc. I get dressed and pick up my gf for dinner. We have a great dinner, and when we get back to the room the lights are dimmed, the bathroom has been cleaned and restocked, there is a piece of cheescake with a candle and "Happy Birthday" written in chocolate on the plate! Classical Music is playing! Talk about romantic! Needless to say, this made my day. I really appreciate the staff going the extra mile. I was just staying there one day, but the customer service was superb! I will definitely be back!

2  Thank rcperkins82
Reviewed July 9, 2012

we stayed there for july 4th and was very pleased. the hotel was 5 star the staff was 6! just 3 blocks to the white house, museums and the national mall.

Reviewed July 9, 2012

We stayed at two DC hotels for our business/vacation trip to DC in April. Sofitel was the more expensive but was so worth it because of the excellent service, cleanliess of the rooms, and the convenient location. Everyone was very friendly and they remember who you are!! Cameron & Ana at the front desk were amazing. All of them were very friendly and knowledgeable. They gave great recommendations for restaurants. The room was big and very clean; we paid for an upgrade for a room overlooking the street, which was also bigger. Totally worth!! The location was amazing; only 2 blocks from White House and walking distance to museums.

Room Tip: We paid for an upgrade and the room we got was bigger and overlooking the street. Completely worth...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 8, 2012

Stayed here on our first trip to DC. The hotel and it's rooms we're nicely decorated and clean. The staff is excellent and go out of their way to make you feel comfortable. Was located in a great location, nice neighborhood, within walking distance to many landmarks, and easy metro access. Would stay here again!

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed July 8, 2012

OK, so once you get beyond the nonsense of being addressed in French by the door staff...Sofitel this is just weird for Europeans in the US...this is a really good hotel. Rooms are excellent, quiet, spacious and well appointed. Restaurant excellent. Food excellent. Bar excellent. Pretty much all of it. This is a high end hotel that is just a block away from the White House. Staff are obliging and helpful - nothing is too much to ask and they do their best to oblige. Downsides? Well as other guests have said, the hotel treats you as a mobile ATM. $320 per night and they want you to pay for wifi? Please! We took a business group here for four days and were charged for every little detail, which was just over the top. I did not get charged for my Pringles but I am sure this was an error! Sofitel should recognise that being able to plan your budget accurately is important in a group like this, so its a mark against returning and a pity because the hotel is otherwise so good.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business