“Terrible, STAY SOMEWHERE ELSE”
Review of The Baron Hotel

The Baron Hotel
Ranked #130 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed December 9, 2012

We have stayed here twice, the first time we were quite happy with our stay. However, on the second stay we had multiple terrible experiences.
Our friends from Japan were visiting so we booked two rooms, the rooms we were given were nothing like our first stay. They were run down and looked terrible. There was a mouse trap on the floor. YES a mouse trap! When I called the front desk, he explained it was a "Safety precaution" I explained to him it could not be there for a safety precaution as some one could step on it. I then asked to speak to the manager and the front clerk informed me he does not know when he will be in and he will not be there the following day to speak to me..
Secondly, expedia shows that breakfast is included this is not the case, they charge 5pp extra a day for breakfast. I informed the front desk staff of this error but they did not seem to care.
Would not recommend this hotel to my worst enemy. Grab your money and go else where

Room Tip: Spend a little extra and go else where.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank samantha786_12

Reviewed December 4, 2012

I was very impressed with this hotel. I found the room size very good for the price. My room was extremely clean and pleasant. I was on the third floor and did not have any noise from the bar in the basement. The bar itself was great fun and really friendly. Wi-Fi worked fine in both the bar and my room. Bed was comfy.
For the price, this is a great hotel and the metro is only a 5 minute walk away. The area is nice too, the hotel is right by all the foreign embassy's and if you cross the street, you are straight into Georgetown.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank James R
Reviewed November 27, 2012

In this price range ( < $100) and in that location (Dupont Circle/Georgetown) there's simply no other competitors to this hotel. The rooms were clean with modern amenities (LCD TV, desk, wardrobe cabinet, and nightstand). That being said, the rooms are really small, so there's not much space to maneuver. Bathrooms are also on a smaller scale. There's no bath tub, only a shower, but everything is new.
The quality of sleep is very good, BUT the window AC/heater is very loud and given the small size of the room is located very near the bed. When it comes on during the night light sleepers are bound to wake up.
There's no hotel parking. However, parking is a rare luxury in the District. If you have a car, you're best to pick a hotel in a more suburban environment. You really don't need to live in the center having your own transportation.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Seth J
Reviewed November 16, 2012

We had a booking for 1 night here but upon our arrival were told " we are moving you to another hotel as your room is out of service" We asked why they did not contact us before our arrival to let us know, they said they had no contact details. Strange this as they needed all our details to book the room. When we asked to speak to the manager we were told " He is not here" When we asked the reception person to please call the manager, we were told. "He won't answer and even if he did he would tell you the same as what I have said" He said we should get a taxi to the other hotel and gave us $10 dollars. When we asked him to call one, he said just go outside and you will get one. When we asked him to come with us, he replied " you are best to go out and get one by yourself as they will stop for you but not for me as he was colored " When we asked if the new hotel was an upgrade he just mumbled and got on the telephone to the other hotel. Not very helpful at all. When you book a room you would expect it to be available on arrival. The new hotel was ok, not great and certainly not an upgrade.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Joaniemelonie
Reviewed November 15, 2012

Hotel is in Dupont Circle and close to the Metro. It's clean, comfortable but rooms are small and I has a full bed which was not exactly a full bed.

The good: comfortable, charming closet, wooden luggage rack with drawers, good heating,small funky bar downstairs with a gazillion beers. Good value: any beer and a hamburger for $10.

The bad: Not enough lighting, Bath is ok but can't shut off the very loud fan, bath is small, wi-fi, though free, is very weak and cannot connect. Must go to their computers to get online. Elevator was not working and desk said it would be some time for it to be repaired. Sounds like it won't be fixed.

This hotel is only good for one or two days after that, you want to leave. But can't beat the price.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Hotel located in quiet area short walk from Du Pont Circle with small supermarket, restaurants and shopping. Subway station and great bookshops, as well as Sunday morning farmers market also at DuPont Circle and worth checking out too. Twin room was good size for 2 and very clean. As others have noted - no lift. We were on 1st floor at front of hotel and slept well all 3 nights. Didnt try breakfast so cant comment, but pub in basement is worth a visit.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We reserved our room online . 2 double beds. When we get there he told us we have no room. We have a room but its dirty and housekeeper is left. And he was on the phone for 15 min speaking different language so we wouldn't know what the heck he was saying. But my friend knew and stepped up asking if we have room or not. He told us he is in trouble booking us.. And he told us to go district hotel. We went there . We checked in but then there are no parking even in garages. So I called the clerk from my room and saying we cant stay because there is nowhere to park and I got angry it was 8 pm which we checked in around 5 and looking for a parking. And clerk told me on the phone don't raise your voice , you are lady act like one with his Indian accent... This was enough for us to leave the hotel.what do you expect from angry customer? Of course I ll be mad. I wasn't rude or cursing. They put us in a really bad situation .8 pm on a Saturday in dc. We ended up paying twice as much last min booking another hotel.. And he tells me to act like a lady ??????

• Stayed: November 2012