“will do”
Review of The Baron Hotel

The Baron Hotel
Ranked #130 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed May 29, 2012

This seemed to be the cheapest double room with en suite I could find in Washington DC. For the price the location is pretty good, there is no lift, the room AC/fan was noisy but worked, the staff are generally quite helpful and honest about what they know of the surrounding area, the rooms seem newly renovated, the hot water sometimes takes a while to warm up but is good, the TV channels are pretty basic and there is a nice restaurant/bar downstairs with a great cheese burger. However if there is live music of any sort you’ll hear it. This doesn’t happen every night and seemed to finish about11.30pm but be prepared/warned.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed May 21, 2012

If lugging luggage up four flights of stairs to a tiny room with a bathroom crammed into a corner is your thing, then go for it.

The bar is dark a gloom and the kids behind the counter appeared to be "on-the-job" trainees at best.

When I asked about the lack of an elevator I was told to "check amenities, like no swimming pool."

Parking cost of fortune in DC and we had a five or six block walk to park the car. Then no one was there when we went back to retrieve it.

This place is nothing like the pictures you see on their website. Best advice? Stay away.

All around, it was a BAD experience.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 18, 2012

I stayed here for one night when I had a late night in Washington, DC. I found the room for $89 on booking.com.

The rooms have been completely remodeled since the new management operated this facility about a year ago.

I had a small room with a double bed with a small bathroom and shower. The decorations were new and elegant.

I arrived around 3 pm with my baggage. The lady at the desk told me that she had placed me on the third floor so that I would not be bothered by the noise from the restaurant on the ground floor. However, there was no elevator. I carried my bulky parcels up the stairs. It was a struggle. I could have paid $5 for the continental breakfast the next morning. I chose instead to get a substantial breakfast at the nearby coffee shop.

When I returned late at night, I was exhausted. I slept soundly until I got up the next morning to depart early.

Except for the lack of an elevator, I was pleased with the accommodations. This hotel is two blocks from the Dupont Circle Metro so it is conveniently located on the red line.

I shall stay here in the future. The rooms cost more in summer. The convenience of proximity to the red line may outweigh the additional expense.

I plan to return.

Room Tip: The restaurant on the first floor serves alcohol until 2 am. After the bar closes patrons may gather...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed May 10, 2012

On the second day, I came back to the hotel and my door was not closed after cleaning service. They did take a note of it and said they were sorry, but when I found out that my jacket was missing the day after - I could not prove a thing and they have not yet contacted me although they promised to come back to me.

The quality of the staff was rather variable. I met three staff people, and one of them was very kind and motivated. The other two were rather uninterested and did not make me feel very comfortable.

Finally, when leaving the hotel - I asked for a ride to Dulles airport. They arranged me a 75USD befriended taxi ride, while only afterwards I found out that there are dedicated pick-up shuttle services for a quarter of the money.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank kennyhelsens
Reviewed May 3, 2012

I stayed there for one night because I was on a panel in DC and the organizers had made the hotel reservation for me. I am not a light sleeper, but at 2 a.m. I woke up. I found something crawling on me. I turned on the light to check what it was. It was a bed bug. I found another one crawling on me. When I squished it, I found blood on my fingers. So it was more than clear to me that it was a bed bug and that I had probably caught it when it had just feasted on me. I also found small spots of blood on the sheet and on the pillowcase. The hotel staff did not help much when I showed them the bugs. I got the concierge to open a room with a dryer and threw all my clothes, shoes, and bag in the dryer for about 20 minutes to make sure it would be free of bugs (heat kills them). Then I left the hotel around 3 am. The hotel staff did not care.

Room Tip: I was in room 306. That one is infested.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed April 26, 2012

It's cheap, but not particularly cheerful. If you're just looking for a bed for the night it's a perfectly reasonable place, and one of the cheapest options we could find in D.C., but The Baron Hotel doesn't provide anything more than the basics.

As I understand it, until recently--or maybe still today--the hotel is better known as a German beer bar. We stayed mid-week and it was evident that the walls were pretty thin; I can only imagine that if you visit on busier nights of the week a pair of earplugs may be a sensible packing addition.

Breakfast for an additional $5 is a highlight--you get to eat your cereal in the dark depths of the beery backroom!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Rachel W
Reviewed April 25, 2012

We loved the Baron Hotel, it has a p[perfect location, right at Dupont circle and very close to the metro station. The staff were friendly and welcoming, and the room was "good enough", nothing fancy and you can feel somethings missing, but really clean and big and has all the basics. Will definitely recommend it and use it again. There is no elevator which can be a bit bad for travelers but for light travelers it is a wonderful choice.

Room Tip: NO elevator, reserve on lower floors
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple