“Excellent food (minus the cockroach)”
Review of Sur La Place - CLOSED

Sur La Place
Cuisines: Belgian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Belgian restaurant and bar in the Palisades neighborhood of DC.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Excellent food (minus the cockroach)”
Reviewed April 18, 2013

We loved loved the food at this Belgium restaurant in DC. They have a tremendous selection of beers and the best mussels I had had in a long time, with Pernod, celery, etc. Simply exquisite. Unfortunately, we had a cockroach show up at our table (twice I must say), which kind of ruined the night a bit. The people at the restaurant were very apologetic; they moved us to a different table, and gave us free beer and dessert, which by the way was the best creme brulée that I ever had in a restaurant in DC

Visited March 2013
2 Thank rjhillar

Frequent Traveler
“Really Great Belgian Food”
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Having tried (and loved) Manequin Pis up in Olney, Maryland, I was excited to learn that Sur La Place was an off-shoot of the same enterprise. If you are looking for classic Belgian bistro food, you absolutely can't go wrong. Mussels are the thing, but everything else looks good, too, from fish to sausages to roast chicken to excellent sides such as brussels sprouts with bacon. Portions are very large. When we return if we're smart we'll share dishes rather than order an appetizer and a main course per person.

The only complaints I've read about the place have to do with the service. On our first visit, the service was extremely friendly, though this is not a place to dine if you're in a hurry. The food took a very long time to come out, and it took a while to get our check as well. That's the only reason I give it 4 stars instead of 5. Highly recommended.

• Visited April 2013
6 Thank WashingtonFan
Arlington, Virginia
“Food is Still Wonderful Service is Still Missing”
Reviewed March 29, 2013

We were here last year and found that the food was outstanding and the service was poor. Since the food is so good, we went back again when were in Washington. I still can't say enough about the food, and everyone in our party felt the same way. I had the chicken, it was magnificent, and I don't usually like chicken. Go here for the excellent food and be prepared to tackle a server to get any service.

• Visited March 2013
5 Thank Perry A
Bethesda
“Really love this little local Belgian bistro”
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Love the specialty beers. Had an excellent meal. The place was VERY busy,
but our server was truly delightful and extremely helpful As we live locally, we are thrilled to rediscover this restaurant, and will go there frequently. (It does not
have the loud chaos of some of its neighbors either).

• Visited March 2013
4 Thank BarbaraEK
Washington, DC
“Wonderful Neighborhood Restaurant for a Date”
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Great beer choices, and the seafood is to die for. I had what is probably the best ceviche I have had in the DC area. The beer was excellent, as you would expect from a Belgian place. We will be coming back to try out other things on the menu.

• Visited February 2013