“Food is Still Wonderful Service is Still Missing”
Review of Sur La Place - CLOSED

Sur La Place
Cuisines: Belgian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Belgian restaurant and bar in the Palisades neighborhood of DC.
Reviewed March 29, 2013

We were here last year and found that the food was outstanding and the service was poor. Since the food is so good, we went back again when were in Washington. I still can't say enough about the food, and everyone in our party felt the same way. I had the chicken, it was magnificent, and I don't usually like chicken. Go here for the excellent food and be prepared to tackle a server to get any service.

5  Thank Perry A

Reviewed March 18, 2013

Love the specialty beers. Had an excellent meal. The place was VERY busy,
but our server was truly delightful and extremely helpful As we live locally, we are thrilled to rediscover this restaurant, and will go there frequently. (It does not
have the loud chaos of some of its neighbors either).

4  Thank BarbaraEK
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Great beer choices, and the seafood is to die for. I had what is probably the best ceviche I have had in the DC area. The beer was excellent, as you would expect from a Belgian place. We will be coming back to try out other things on the menu.

4  Thank DCNike
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Great find for food and drink -- host could be more welcoming -- especially since restaurant was nearly empty when we arrived at 6 PM. Service was faster than in a visit the week before. A "hi and welcome" on arrival and a bit faster service and Sur La Place will be packed all the time!

4  Thank Lovemyladyday
Reviewed January 24, 2013

I purchased a Groupon for this restaurant, but was unable to use it in time for the promotional value. However, I decided to use the face value and go anyway because I love Belgian beer and had a hankering for mussels. My husband and I went on a Wednesday night at 8 pm and the place was relatively crowded. We had a reservation, so we didn't have to wait. The waitress was very casual and European. We debated about splitting a bucket of mussels (for which they would charge $2.50) or each getting our own $22 bucket. We decided on the latter, but the buckets were so big (and came with delicious french fries), that we wished we had split one. They have a dozen different kinds of broth for the mussels - I got the Dijonaise and he got the Pernod - and they were both excellent, very plump and flavorful. The waitress was very gracious about the Groupon and said "Hey, at least you're not losing your money" when I said the promotional value was no longer valid.
The restaurant was small and cozy, and the crowd looked well-heeled but relaxed. The only thing is that it is not near public transportation, and sometimes the parking in that Palisades neighborhood is kind of tight. Regardless, we would definitely return, even without a Groupon!

8  Thank hel33