“Despite the controversy, still a sight to see”

Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial
Ranked #24 of 478 things to do in Washington DC
Reviewed May 14, 2013

Before I wrote my review, I read the reviews of those who rated this monument as either poor or terrible. While it does bother me that a Chinese sculptor was given the job, the actual work doesnt bother me, I like the fact that the statue is coming out of the stone, albeit white stone. And Dr. King's son approved of the likeness. However it kind of reminded me of the Han Solo frozen in ice and once that was in my head it wouldnt leave.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,868)
All reviews
"white stone"
in 42 reviews
"his words"
in 91 reviews
"the civil rights movement"
"his life"
"across the street"
in 55 reviews
"american history"

Reviewed May 13, 2013 via mobile

I really enjoyed this monument. I particularly enjoyed the statue coming out of the stone. Many of his quotes were written on the walls around it. I feel it could have been better though.

Reviewed May 12, 2013

MLK is such an iconic, significant historic figure and it's good to see him honored with this memorial. It's hard to see that the statue is cut out of the mountain when you are close up to the memorial, that's better observed from across the tidal pool. The statue is somewhat stark, but the MLK quotes are truly inspirational. It's nice that it's so close to FDR's memorial - two men who had such a significant impact on last century.

1  Thank TN-Traveler38017
Reviewed May 12, 2013

First of all, the stone used for Dr. King's statue looked like something from Disney World. It did not look real. And the whole concept of the stone coming out of the mountain was hokey. He deserves so much better. I did like the quotes on the walls, though.

1  Thank Let's_go_see_it!