“Mixed Feelings”

$75.00*
DC Monuments and Memorials Pedicab Tour
Ranked #15 of 460 things to do in Washington DC
Reviewed April 25, 2013

I hate to start out this way but as a black woman...no I do not consider myself African American, I have mixed emotions regarding this Memorial. I felt like it honored him but at the same time it seems to me they did not put as much effort into this memorial as they did all the others. It's just so plain, but definitely a must see.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,665)

Reviewed April 25, 2013

This memorial was part of an evening tour that we took and as such, it was fine. There isn't too much to see, so a 10 minute stop was appropriate. However, if we had had to trek all the way there on our own, I probably would have felt a bit disappointed.

Reviewed April 25, 2013

It is tranquil in layout with many significant speech fragments on granite wall. The four sided monument is a fantastic testament to this wonderful and most significant leader of modern times.

Reviewed April 25, 2013

This memorial, like every other memorial in DC, is controversial. And I guess that is at is should be in a free country where we can voice our opinions freely. So first, my good impressions: This sculpture is huge. Dr. King's sculpture emerges from a mountain as a "stone of hope" -- you can almost here the stones sliding and breaking apart. The entire sculpture feels massive and overpowering -- and I guess that is the source of my less than good impressions. Dr. King stood for so much that is grounded in humanity and caring and I'm just not feeling that from this sculpture. He is portrayed as stern and almost inapproachable -- not as the man who reached out to and inspired so many with simple and powerful words. And that brings me back to my good impressions -- his words are captured in slanting stone walls around the sculpture and at the base of the sculpture itself. When they get around to fixing the truncated "I was a drum major" quote, the word story will be complete. This is a peaceful spot to stand and reflect on this turbulent time in our country's history. The memorial is near the Tidal Basin and cherry trees and within walking distance of the WWII memorial. A visit here would make part of a nice day out for families. Children too young to understand will have plenty of running around space. Photographers, history buffs, and tourists will also enjoy visiting this attraction.

Reviewed April 24, 2013

I was expecting more. When compared to the other monuments, this seems like it is lacking something. There's no "wow factor" in my opinion. I believe this memorial actually minimizes who he was. I wouldn't go specifically to see this again but if you happen to run into it like I did, sure, stop by.