“Mediocre at best”
Review of Station 4

Station 4
Reserve with OpenTable
Station 4 is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #599 of 3,322 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: M street
Transit: two steps from Waterfront Metro Station /Green Line
Description: A New American bistro-style restaurant
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I made a reservation for Saturday morning brunch was was seated quickly by a lovely lady. My sister and I opted to sit outside as it was the first real spring day and, frankly, it was a little loud inside. The interior decor is trendy in a way that an out of touch person with an oversized wallet and something to prove believes to be trendy. Very much lacking in class. No umbrellas on the patio, but we were seated off to the side which was nice except for my sister's direct view into the ladies room.

The whole meal took us over an hour, a ridiculous amount of time for two hungry girls. We sat for 15 minutes before we were greeted and brought water. We sat for another 20 minutes before the check was brought and my credit card returned returned. I've been a sever for years at dives and at 3 Michelin star places, Rule #1 is always great and water the table within a minute (really, 30 seconds) of their sitting down. Rule #2 never make the guest wait when it comes time to pay. Our server mumbled so quietly, we really couldn't understand anything that was said (thought the parts I did catch were just excuses. Seems as though three tables were too much for him to handle on his own). Prioritizing tables was a serious weak point and something I noticed seemed to be a weakness for all of the servers outside. Seems as though none of them had been trained in how to properly bus a table either. At one point, he approached our table to remove our plates, paused, and then mumbled "I'll have to get a busser for this." We were two people with three plates. Two of those plates were stackable. The busser, for the record, was busy greeting his friends and it took our server two trips to remove the three plates from our table. This ranked among the worst service I have ever received.

The food was fine. Not bad, but not memorable and certainly not something I would try again. My sister had the Eggs Chesapeake and while the crab meat was on point, the hollandaise was flavorless and the poached eggs far too over cooked (only one ran when the very, very center was pierced). I had the biscuits and gravy which was fine (and just one biscuit). Not great, but certainly not bad or inedible. Just fine. The sausage patties were dry and places and overly greasy. We shared an order of duck fat fries which had an excellent crunch and crisp without being greasy. They lacked any indication of having been fried with duck fat. I suspect only a small amount of duck fat had been added to their regular frying oil. They were served with ketchup and another dipping sauce that tasted oddly like potato salad.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Let me start this review by saying if you plan on going to Station 4 on a Friday or Saturday evening get a reservation. I went on a Saturday evening without a reservation and was fortunate to get a table by the bar which are first come first served. The decor is very nice and the menu was great too, good drinks, beer and wine selection. As for the food...it was pretty good, there's a good selection of bar food, apps, pizza and entres. Staff and service were great especially our server, and the rest of the staff was very professional as well...I'm looking forward to coming back soon.

Reviewed April 3, 2013

Station 4 was within walking distance to our hotel in DC. We had 5:15 reservations upon recommendation of our concierge. Given that NO ONE was there at that time, I would've thought our party of five would've received better service. I would describe our waiter as 'low affect.' He seemed to disengage once he realized we weren't going to have cocktails. Little attention or engagement in our meal service. The food was well presented and delicious, but found the menu pricey for the food received. There are many options in DC - this wouldn't be one I would choose to return to. We could've have a better fit from our concierge. It may appeal to an upscale crowd.

1  Thank Traveling_Mammy_of_3
Reviewed March 26, 2013

This past Sunday, I took a friend from the State Dept. as well as my son and his girlfriend out for a reunion of sorts, for brunch at the Station 4 resturaunt. We made reservations for 10:30 and we showed up on time.
It featured a special brunch that included all-you-could-drink Mimosa's or Bloody Mary's. A perfect place to catch up with family and friends, so we thought.
After being there for about an hour and a half, enjoying a leisurely brunch, the manager appeared at out table and informed us that we had to leave in ten minutes as she wanted the table.
We were both shocked and embarrassed. We certainly were not finished and felt as if we were given "the bums' rush" out the door. We did pay our bill and leave, but could not believe how rudely we were treated. D.C. has too many fine resturaunts, and I suggest you find a different, more customer friendly one than Station 4.

1  Thank Jim B
Reviewed March 24, 2013

They must have listened to the last reviewer's comments--it was not as noisy as the 17 Mar reviewer noted. There was the normal resaturant din, but no loud music. That said...

The food was good. He had the $35 Pre Fixe. As one review noted, the portions on the pre fixe are small, but just right when you consider 3 courses. I got the grilled calamari appetizer (fresh and delish) and the cod special--which was too much food. While the cod was perfectly cooked, there was a little too much going on with the plate--purple potatoes, green olive tapenade, roasted onions and peppers and some unidentifiable paste--sun dried tomato and something.

I gave it four stars as I was comparing it to other Arenda Stage venues and our waiter was very attentive and knowledgeable about the food, wine and cocktails.