“Comfortable room, great service - one or two minor issues”

The Ritz-Carlton, Washington, DC
Ranked #19 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed May 16, 2014

Overall I enjoyed my stay at the Ritz Carlton. The location is great and the standard of the room was very high. The bed was comfortable, there was lots of closet space (and enough hangers), and the bathroom was a particular plus point - I liked that there was a large tub as well as a separate powerful shower.

All of the staff that I dealt with, without exception, were wonderful. This included the front desk, the doormen and the room service team. They went out of their way to be polite and helpful.

The only small complaints relate to the price of the ancillaries. I ordered in-room wifi and although the internet was down for at least 4 hours when I needed it, I was still charged for it at check-out. (This was despite having reported the problem and been assured that an engineer was looking at it.) I was surprised that the hotel did not offer to comp the additional charge given the inadequacy of the service. The other thing was that I ordered one cup of peppermint tea from room service for which I was charged c.$14.00. Not the end of the world, but just as a matter of principle I think $14 is an almost offensive amount to charge for a cup of tea!

I only mention these examples because I think it's a real shame when hotels that are otherwise excellent seem to be prepared to erode a degree of customer goodwill for the sake of a couple of dollars here and there. But I would probably stay at the Ritz again, and overall I would recommend it.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank GlobeTrotter2581

Reviewed May 5, 2014

My husband and I had a vow renewal ceremony at the Omni Shoreham on May 3, 2014 and afterwards we stayed at the Ritz Carlton. Earlier in the week a Ritz Carlton representative reached out to me to see if we needed anything for our upcoming stay. I just told her that we were celebrating our 5 year anniversary and were renewing our vows. I told her we would need to check in early and she replied that she would make sure we had a room available. When we checked in, we were originally supposed to have a club-level suite, what we received instead was totally unexpected and surpassed our expectations. We were given a free upgrade to the Ritz Carlton Suite which is 2200 sq ft. We were given champagne and mimosas and everyone was super nice. Every time we stay at the Ritz Carlton, the service is amazing and the attention to detail is impeccable. Everyone is so nice and accommodating and the rooms/suites are lovely. That is why I love the Ritz and I will never stay at another hotel for special occasions.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Davida H
Elizabeth M, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Washington, DC, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2014

First and Foremost congatulations on your Special Day!
I am delighted that we were able to upgrade you and serve you mimosas in celebration of your vow renewal.
I am glad that you enjoyed and hope that you will return to the hotel in the near future so that I may congratulate you in person.
Thank you again for staying with us!

Reviewed May 4, 2014

This was my first experience in a Ritz - I'm usually an Intercontinental customer. We stayed in the "club" area rooms. They were average for what I would consider a very high end product. Our toilet continued to clog, so we finally asked for a room change. No one came to move our things for us. The rooms were fairly quiet but the location is not great if you are looking to be within walking distance from the tourist areas. The water pressure was extremely weak and the beds were not very comfortable.

The club room offered breakfast, lunch, d'oeuvres, and desserts. Breakfast was the same everyday which included fruit, cereal, scrambled eggs, pastries and cold cuts. Lunch was salads and breads, and d'oeuvres consisted of different themed foods. Most of them contained ingredients that I had an allergy to so I could not eat them. The staff offered to have something made for me, but didn't give me an idea of what could be available. Everyday offered most of the same foods. I thought there should have been more of a daily variety for breakfast and lunch.

Ritz Kids was nonexistent. The fitness center was large and accommodating. There was a concierge area and every time we went down to ask questions, they weren't there.

I guess I was expecting an over the top experience considering the name. Once I found The Willard (Intercontinental) on Pennsylvania Avenue and went inside to look around, I realized I made a mistake. The location was incredible and the hotel gorgeous; I should have stayed with a product that I knew well. I really wanted to give an excellent rating for this hotel. My expectations were high for a room that cost $700 per night - this hotel did not deliver on my assumption.

Room Tip: Tenth and eleventh floor - fairy quiet.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Cate T

Thank you very much for your review of the hotel and for being our guest.
I am sorry that you didn't enjoy your experience.
The location of the hotel is actually perfectly situated - only 9 blocks from the Lincoln Memorial - one of the most popular sights on the Mall - but we are also in close proximity to the areas of the city that don't close down at 6pm..... We are 6 blocks from the beautiful village of Georgetown with it's delightful waterfront and vibrant shopping and 6 blocks from the eclectic neighborhood of dupont circle with it's many restaurants and galleries.
I would be happy to review the details of your stay with your personally - please feel free to contact me directly at 202-974-5502. Thank you for taking the time to comment about your experience and for staying with us.

Reviewed April 28, 2014

We did not book or pay for our room, so I don't know how competitive the price is for a hotel of this caliber. But Al, Nixon, Juan, and everyone whose name I did not get took such good care of me that this stay will always stand out.
Our room was on an inner courtyard, so we had no problem with noise. We thought the bathroom was large and well-appointed, from the separate shower and tub to the ample, large towels. We didn't take advantage of any of the champagne on checking in, but the bottled water and the apples out by the main floor elevators, were just our style. Loved having daily NY Times or Washington Post available. Would have enjoyed an in-room coffee maker for an end-of-the day cup of coffee or tea, but most high-end hotels seem to have eliminated that in favor of more extensive mini-bar offerings.
Our only complaint was that only one side of the bed (in a room with two Queens) had a reading light and bedside table. One person is left out....or, I guess, you could use both beds, but that did not seem a reasonable option. I suspect that there is not enough room for more furniture. They could, though, use on-wall lighting by each side of the bed, with a switch bed-side. Also, just a little shelf-like "thing" for glasses, watch, tissue, etc. could probably fit in both space-wish and aesthetically if done right.
The in-room wi-fi was not an extra charge because of hotel chain membership, but it normally would be. It was stable and strong.
While one reviewer complained about lack of bellman help with luggage, we were thrilled to be asked "Do you need help with your luggage?" and to be able to manage our minimal things on our own. At the opposite end of the stay, having accumulated much to take home, it was so helpful to be able to check many pieces until we actually were leaving but after check-out.
For us, the location was ideal given the meeting we were attending. We took a nice walk up to Dupont Circle and it's feasible to walk to Georgetown.
Thank you to all for their welcome and their help, which is what made the difference for s.

Room Tip: Gathering from what others have said, we were fortunate to have had an interior room. Absolutely no...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank redtwizzler1943
Elizabeth M, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Washington, DC, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2014

Thank you for staying with us and for your kind words about The property.
I am so glad that "Staff made your stay". I am fortunate to work with a wonderful group of ladies and gentleman who really go above and beyond to create exceptional service.
I will send a note to all you mentioned and thank them for taking such good care of you.

The inner courtyard rooms are lovely and very quiet and we are fortunate that almost a third of our inventory face this lovely courtyard.

Once again I appreciate your comments and I hope to meet you on your next trip to Washington.

Reviewed April 28, 2014

nothing is extraordinary, but everything is taken care properly. Special thanks to Juan who helped me a had always a special touch!. Did not try the restaurant and the bar could be a little bigger, but nothing to complain!!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business

Thank you for staying with us and for your lovely comments.
I am so glad that you enjoyed your visit to washington and the service/amenities/location of the hotel.
Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience.
I will share your kind words with my team.
I look forward to meeting you on your next visit to Washington.
Elizabeth

Reviewed April 26, 2014

The hotel is 14 years old and the FF&E need some replacement. In general the room was nice but not "Ritz" standard, especially the suite. The food, the service were good and staff was very friendly. The only drawback was the firefighting depot across the street. I used to wake up few times at night by the siren sounds.
I think it's serious problem as occupancy was so low the management decided to cut the buffet on breakfast the second day we stayed, only limited a la cart was offered.
I might come back as they have huge gym and Spa next door with hotel access, but will choose another room with less noise issue.

Room Tip: Stay away from fire fighting depot!
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Dangminhtruong
Elizabeth M, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Washington, DC, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2014

Thank you for being our guest and for your recent comments about the hotel.
I am glad that you enjoyed your stay.
I am also happy to hear that you thought the occupancy was low - we have run a solid 90% occupancy for the last three months and are one of the busiest hotels in the city!
I must credit my staff for making the hotel feel serene during significantly busy times.

We do stop the buffet when there is limited usage - We were surprised more guests didn't take advantage of the breakfast buffet but during your visit the majority of guests decided to order through in room dining - I believe served over 200 breakfasts that morning!
In General however the Breakfast Buffet is available on Saturdays and Sundays until 11am.
The morning of your stay we did close it at 1030 - as we hadn't had a guest order the buffet since 945am - again - I am sorry that you were inconvenienced.

I am happy to review the details of your stay with you and I can be reached at 202-974-5502.

Thank you once again for your comments and for being our Guest.
I hope to meet you on your next trip to Washington.

Reviewed April 23, 2014 via mobile

The entire Ritz Carlton brand has diminished over the years, so I don't know why I expected any more from this particular location. I am only staying here for one night, yet my experience so far has been sub-par. Nothing has stood out as too terrible. It has just been a lot of small "lack of service" issues that have added up to make this experience a two-star experience, which is exponentially bad considering the price point and top-tier brand name of this hotel.
1. When I pulled up to the valet area, I had to tell three different valets and doormen that I was checking in before anybody bothered to help me with my car or my luggage. They all just kind of stood around, like guests normally unload their own luggage then park their cars themselves. At 9 out of 10 other top-tier hotels, the valets and doormen fall over themselves to help you with your luggage and cars.
2. When someone finally did help me with my luggage, he followed me to the front desk, then set my luggage on the ground behind me, as opposed to putting it on a cart and ultimately taking it to my room - which is the typical, standard protocol for any/every US hotel that offers bellmen. When I finally finished checking in, I turned around to see my bags sitting behind me. I asked the front desk clerk if someone was going to take them to my room, and she started scrambling to go find someone. I ultimately just grabbed everything myself and hauled it to the 10th floor, as opposed to waiting for 10 minutes for her to find a bellman to actually do his job. Again, not a huge deal, but I expect much much more from the Ritz, especially when I book a suite at the hotel.
3. The girl that checked me into the hotel was nice, but she didn't tell me anything about the property, hotel restaurants, how to log onto the Wi-Fi, etc. I booked this reservation through American Express fine hotels and resorts, which comes with certain benefits like late checkout and a breakfast credit every morning. Usually the front desk clerks mention that and go over every benefit, but she didn't even mention it. I remembered that I booked the reservation through American Express as I was hauling my own luggage up to my room, so I had to call back down to the front desk to find out all the benefits that I may be able to take advantage of during my stay.
4. I'm staying in a one-bedroom suite, which is "ok", at best. The bathroom is very small, and it only has one vanity - weird for a suite. The closet is also very small. There is absolutely no view of anything from this hotel, so if you're looking for scenery, this isn't your place. My view is of a gravel rooftop (part of this hotel) littered with empty water bottles and crushed soda cans. If this is the view from one of their best friends, I can only imagine how bad some of the other rooms' views may be.
5. Every other top-tier hotel chain provides slippers with their turndown service. Firstly, I didn't even get turndown service. Secondly I called the front desk (after I couldn't find slippers anywhere in the room) and was told they are only available upon request. Again, that's not a huge issue, but when you're staying at an allegedly "best" hotel in the world, in a suite that costs $1000/night, you tend to expect little things like slippers by your bed. Well, don't expect them here - just like you shouldn't expect great service.
6. The on-site restaurant is also average, at best. After being seated, I had to wait at least 10 minutes before a server arrived to even offer me water. In fact, I had to get up and ask the hostess if anybody was actually waiting on my table. Mixed reviews on the food. The side items were good, but the fish entrée was very bland.
Long story short, this isn't a horrible hotel. But it is definitely not up to the standard of the Ritz-Carlton reputation, or of any other hotel in this price point. I have had better service, better accommodations, and much better views from other Washington, D.C. hotels - all for less money. This is my first stay here, and it will definitely be my last.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo

Thank you for your recent stay with us and taking the time to send your detailed comments.
I am sorry that you didn't enjoy your recent stay.
I would be happy to discuss the details with you personally.
Please feel free to call me directly at 202-974-5502.
Thank you once again for being our guest and for taking the time to comment.