“Mostly pros”

The Ritz-Carlton, Washington, DC
Ranked #16 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed January 27, 2014

I stayed here this past weekend for a wedding. I would give this hotel an 8.5/10.

The two cons:

1. We had forgotten hairspray and shaving cream so I asked at the front desk and was abruptly told by the asian woman (sorry, I do not remember her name) that the front desk does not carry such items but she would message housekeeping to deliver the items to my room. This never happened.

2. On my ride in the elevator to my room I encountered two extremely intoxicated females who were not guests at the hotel. I only became aware of them not being guests when they asked me where they were and if I knew how to give directions to their friends. I informed a member of security but I saw these two females again later on in the night so I assume nothing happened.

Besides for this, excellent stay and service. Would stay again

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the elevator.
There are newer reviews for The Ritz-Carlton, Washington, DC

Reviewed January 26, 2014

In DC to shop at Design Center. I had my daughter and her 3 month old baby and two other adults with me. We stayed on the club floor and everyone in the lounge there was absolutely lovely. Beds and linens incredibly comfortable. Hotel decor is a bit sterile, could have been anywhere no local flavor. All employees incredibly helpful.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed January 24, 2014

I have stayed in this hotel 12 times over the years. The staff is courteous, pleasant, professional and accommodating. The location is good. The rooms have always been clean and comfortable.
However, it is definitely not a four or five star hotel. For what you receive the $429 per night corporate rate is too high. Basic Wi-Fi is $9.95 per day extra. Use of the admittedly outstanding gym (operated on site, but by a different vendor-SportsClub LA is $15.00 a visit.

It took three sets of card keys to get my door to unlock. The next day, I discovered on my return from a morning of business meetings, that the door wouldn't lock at all (verified by hotel staff) and would open with a light push. Having it unlocked while I was away for several hours made me uncomfortable. The carpet in the room was showing wear and some stains. The last morning, the hot water handle on the sink "exploded" in my hand. The handle fell off and the washer sprung out. I repaired it myself. The elevator call button was cracked. I was definitely disappointed on this visit and I believe better repair and maintenance is in order and better pricing.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed January 23, 2014

This wasn't a bad stay. Room was comfortable, staff was very nice.
It just didn't live up to a 5 star experience.

-Location is great. Valet was nice as well.

-My room was very dusty. We complained ( 2 times) and it was never handled. Nor were we ever asked whether the problem was solved.

-There is no coffee other than the restaurant after 9am on weekdays. What is this, 1992? This issue just does not exist in most hotels in 2014.

-Furniture was a bit worn. Tired looking.

-Bathroom was very comfortable. Water pressure was great.

-Windows in room were very dirty.

Again, the negative comments above are not catastrophic. It's just not 5 star.

1  Thank Billtrav
Reviewed January 21, 2014

My husband and I stayed overnight with our small dog for our anniversary. We were greeted upon arrival and given a welcome packet for Burko with treats, disposal bags for our walks, and a sign for the room door. The room was decent size for DC and the bathroom had a really nice, deep tub - perfect for a cold winter day, although the shower was quite small. A nice surprise of a bottle of Prosecco and a flourless chocolate cake was waiting for us in our room when we got back from an outing. We're not sure how they got this past Burko, who was waiting in the room for us, but it made the stay seem really special. The Ritz Carlton is definitely the place to go for special occasions (although they can make any stay seem pretty great with their friendliness and customer service). The breakfast in the hotel's restaurant, which was included in our package, was very good.

Reviewed January 18, 2014

Remarkable service and excellent rooms are an outstanding combination and ae characteristics of the this Ritz Carlton location. Visits have been greatly enhanced by the selection of this particular very special and extremely well managed hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 17, 2014 via mobile

Was there for a wedding and it was a blast. The set up and event was great. We did find some plastic paper in one of our meals though. I was shocked for such a great hotel to have that to have happened for roomservice. We got it corrected though with ease and enjoyed our stay.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple