“Nice event space, ok rooms”

The Ritz-Carlton, Washington, DC
Ranked #17 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed January 17, 2014 via mobile

Was there for a wedding and it was a blast. The set up and event was great. We did find some plastic paper in one of our meals though. I was shocked for such a great hotel to have that to have happened for roomservice. We got it corrected though with ease and enjoyed our stay.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank blueh2ogirl
Write a ReviewReviews (1,275)

Reviewed January 15, 2014

My 17-year old daughter, her friend and I stayed at the Ritz-Carlton while visiting colleges in DC. I had never stayed at a Ritz-Carlton and my expectations were very high. We usually stay at the Fairmont, which I previously rated 5 stars, but it was unavailable so I decided to try the nearby Ritz. First, I want to say that this is a very nice hotel and I really wavered between a 4 and 5 star rating. The staff is great, especially the Concierge, I think his name is Robert, who set us up with a taxi driver who does wonderful private tours of DC. I booked a room that included lounge access. Unlike some hotels, this is not a dedicated floor at the Ritz-Carlton as I had expected. However, it was definitely worth the extra cost. They always have some sort of food set out and it is really wonderful. We ate many of our meals in the lounge because the food was so good and plentiful. Also, they had warm presidential-themed cookies in the lobby each night. The JFK chocolate chip cookies are to die for! The reason I am not giving this hotel a 5 is the size and decor of the guest room. It was remarkably similar to the standard Marriott room. The bathroom was quite nice, although it had only one sink, but the room itself was small and unremarkable. It just did not have the feel of a luxury hotel. Otherwise, everything was great. I would stay here again but I still just slightly prefer the Fairmont.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for the lounge access. It is definitely worth it.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 14, 2014 via mobile

The rooms are big, well decorated and in great condition. The staff are helpful and friendly. The gym is great as it is connected to a sports club with all the equipment you would expect. The location was great. So nothing really to complain about except it lacked any charm. This may be unfair as on any measure it is a first rate hotel it just was not special. Would I stay there again. For sure , I just would not be excited about it.
If you can get a room facing the courtyard go for it as it is quiet.

If

Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed January 8, 2014

The RC Washington DC has one of the nicest staffs I ever encountered. Especially the front door people.
But our room was so cold and drafty ( ice stayed frozen over night by the window!!!!) I am surprised my husband and I did not come down with colds...it was just awful.
Would never stay there again in the winter.

Room Tip: A room away from the construction and with smaller windows.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ellen K
Reviewed January 7, 2014

Incredibly cold night.... Door staff rushed to get us inside. Efficient and welcoming reception, well appointed rooms, good gym, comfortable beds.
Bar staff attentive . The hotel is well situated for business and a trip to the main tourist attractions.
Good place to stay.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank P G
Reviewed January 7, 2014

Like almost all Ritz's, the staff and service are excellent. The rooms were good, spacious, large bathroom. There was no coffee maker in the room which always irks me, but that's just me. There is apparently an affiliation with the sports club LA gym, but I couldn't find any info about it in the room, and was only there for a night so didn't bother asking. It's walking distance to the bars/restaurants in dupont circle. If you need to get to IAD before or after, it's an easy drive to the highway (still a $70 ride though). The bar/lounge area was fun and again great service. If you are a runner you can fairly easy get over to the monument run along the Potomac and they give you both a jogging map as well as water and a towel when you get back, which is a nice touch. Overall it was nice, but nothing spectacular.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 7, 2014

This is one of the most sought after destinations in downtown DC. Located in the heart of Washington, there are a plethora of museums, hotels and beautiful walking tours immediately around the area. Also, you will find absolutely beautiful architecture surrounding this location as well as every worthwhile store within walking distance. We attended the International Society's New Year Eve Gala and stayed the course receiving a wonderful breakfast in the morning. As always, Ritz Carlton is not to be overly outdone!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends