“Service Second to None.”

The Ritz-Carlton, Washington, DC
Ranked #18 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Boston, Massachusetts
“Service Second to None.”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

First of all, I understand that the quality of service, and therefore the quality of a review, can differ from one reviewer to the next, but I can only relate what I experienced....and all I can say is that the service that my family experienced during our recent 4-night stay at this Ritz was unbelievably first class. At check-in, I had requested high-floor room w/king-size bed, and they put us on the top floor (11th). Also, as we were traveling with our 2-year old daughter. they rolled out a red Radio Flyer wagon filled with toys and had her choose one for her to keep. Housekeeping is always around on the floor, with two shifts (one from 9AM-4PM, and one from 4PM-10PM), right there when you need something, including copious amounts of extra bottled water (which you needed because of the humidity). We asked for a crib to be brought up to our room, and they had it up there with a little gift bag for the daughter. The biggest impression though came on the second to last day when I had gotten tired of carrying our daughter around, and inquired at the front desk if they had a stroller. After looking and informing me that they did not, the front desk girl said she knew of a place down the street that rented them by the day and could have one delivered. She took my cell phone number and said she would check how long it would take to get it (while we went to breakfast). Not 10 minutes later, she called saying that they had found us a stroller somewhere (I didn't care where they found it and I didn't ask) and had already placed it in our room.

Now I'm not saying that any of the bad reviews on here about this hotel are not true, but our stay was exceptional. The only negative thing I'd say is that the reviews saying that children under 16 cannot use the pool are correct.....but this is not the Ritz' fault. The Sports Club/LA owns/makes use of the second floor of the building, and all the people staying at the Ritz' use the Sports Club/LA's facilities. The rule about no children in the pool is a rule made by the Sports Club/LA, not the Ritz. Unfortunately, the Ritz has to follow this rule. I've been to other Ritz' and have never had a problem with children in the pool, so this negative aspect technically isn't a Ritz rule.....and should be isolated to only this particular Ritz. But other than that, I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: The hotel is REALLY downtown, so neither side really has GREAT views. One side looks onto 22nd Stre...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank SKMCRM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
Boston, MA
Reviewed August 9, 2013

This is by far the worst Ritz I have ever stayed in - and one of the worst hotels all around I have ever stayed in. The room was disgusting! The carpet had several large stains on it in varying colors from black to yellow. I am thinking the yellow ones were from pets since this is a "pet friendly" hotel. If hotels are going to allow pets, there should be certain rooms set aside for those guest - especially at $500 a night! The room was dirty with food in the corners and fingerprints all over the desk. The property overall had a worn appearance to it once you got past the ground floor. The hallways were worn and the paint was chipped. The concierge left something to be desired - most had attitudes and seemed like they couldn't be bothered. I would not return to this property until it has been renovated and there had been a management change.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank L K
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Let's start with the good. Good location, on the corner of M and 22nd. Lots of restaurants and shop. The staff is amazing, very friendly and helpful. The room is well appointed. The bed is so comfortable, I only remember lying down and then the alarm clock going off; no tossing and turning, I slept like a baby. Ok, now the bad. The only thing I object to is the fee to use the gym. $15 per day per person. The hotel does not have its own gym or pool. I've read another trip advisor review with the same comment and the hotel's manager reply.; the hotel is associated with a world class gym that has 30 exercise classes yada yada yada ..... Well, I don't want a world class gym with 30 classes when I am traveling. I did not go to DC to check out a gym. I just want a well ventilated gym with a treadmill or elliptical machine, basic weights for a quick work out. If I had kids travelling with me, I want a pool for them to cool off and use up some energy so that they will behave at dinner. KIDS ARE NOT ALLOWED IN THE GYM/POOL!!!!! Unless it is Sunday and it is only for a few hours. So if you have kids and they want to use the pool, they/you are out of luck, unless it's Sunday. How come the non luxury Marriott hotels include the gym and pool but the luxury hotel doesn't?

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank Lucymilby
Usa, Japan
Reviewed August 4, 2013

I wanted this hotel to be awesome, but it was just average. I'm a Platinum so I stay in hotels quite a bit. Pros: Very low key location, so no tourists. I like the Foggy Bottom area so that was a plus for me (Whole Foods right around the corner). Great size rooms. Very comfy bed. Great gym (worth the $15). Cons: The property needs an update. The staff is consistent, but do not perform at the Ritz-Carlton level I've come to appreciate at other properties.

I really wanted to love this place, but it is just an average hotel. I recommend it if you are in DC on business, but it is not a place for extreme relaxation or pampering.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank ashye
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed August 3, 2013

First off, I am a Marriott Rewards Platinum member, not Ritz Carlton Rewards Member. Although "The Ritz" has a partnership with Marriott, one does not get the same benefits based on tier status.

I was booked to an 8th floor room, spacious and for the most part very well decorated.
Pros: Spacious, thick rug/floor padding, thick cotton towels, two bathrobes instead of one, wall safe, nice work desk, good crown molding styling, marble tiles in bathroom, separate shower and tub; large bathroom sink counter; bed was very comfortable - plush.
"Development needs": Parts of the rug/floor padding was inconsistent - thick feel in several areas, depressions in some spots; one of the nightstand lamp shades was broken - tilted and could not be corrected; internet access was extra, accessing internet from a laptop and from an iPad incurred double internet billings each day (3 days in all, 6 charges); caulking in corners of standup shower showed age, needs to be re-caulked; hair found in tub, near drain ... how does house keeping miss this (was present each day and every day during stay); lack of hotel amenities guide in room; extra charge for gym use; no coffee/tea station in room; parts of rug showed wear and tear (staining).

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed August 3, 2013

I periodically travel to DC on business and was fortunate enough to bring my family with me on this trip. They were excited because they'd never been to DC, so I called the front desk on the way and asked if they would put together a couple of welcome baskets for them. After the long drive up from Orlando, the Ritz Carlton was a welcome sight. My two kids couldn't wait to get to bed and were they ever surprised by all of the DC and Ritz Carlton souvenirs waiting for them, as well as a large basked of fruit and candy with their names on it!

The room was large, even by DC standards, and the bathroom was very spacious. The entire room was immaculate and remained so the entire trip. After traveling to all of the tourist sites in DC and coming in after 11 pm every night, the room and bathroom were flawless. My daughter wanted more shower gel to take a bubble bath and the staff had it up in minutes. The same thing when we needed extra towels; the housekeeping staff had it to the room in breakneck speed. Whatever the kids wanted, they got and as much of it as they wanted. Fortunately, the staff is also very respectful of my wallet and helped keep our vacation budget manageable by suggesting family friendly dining within walking distance.

The hotel itself in in a very good neighborhood, surrounded by other upscale hotels. It is walking distance to GWU, Embassy Row, and Georgetown. There's a Walgreen's just across the street and a CVS on the same block.

After 3 nights, it was time to go, but as one family member put it, "Can we move here?". That kind of sums up the visit. We'll be back for sure.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 24, 2013

I had read some reviews that had me worried. But let me tell you I have stayed at other Ritz Carltons and this is defenitely up to Ritz Standards! The bellman and Valet were ESPECIALLY pleasant, as a matter of fact, In my opinion the Valet men provided the best service of our trip because they remember us and gave us a sincere greeting as we were in and out. Also the restaraunt was REALLY good. The service in the morning everyday for breakfast was great and we had the same people helping us, its always nice to build a routine while on a trip with a great staff. I have pictures and we stayed in a 1 bedroom suite. It had all the room we were hoping for and our room was ready when we checked in (which was around 4pm). The one thing I want to mention is that this hotel is VERY CLEAN! my 2 major concerns while im on a trip is cleanliness and safety and this place is 5 star on both! I was worried because some of the other reviews had mentioned that this location was in need of an update and was showing its age, but I did not see this at all! If you go in knowing this location has classic luxury, which we would expect being D.C. with cherry woods and cool neutral colors, the decor was very classic. It was in a great area that had the best of both worlds. For one it was a quiet area far enough away from the hustle and bustle of tourism but walking distance to the MetroRail (which we used daily), Georgetown was a nice walk about 6 blocks down and if your really up for it, the Lincoln monument was a nice stroll. Were used to walking around citites so we did not think it was a long walk but if you choose to take a cab it would be pretty cheap. Over all it had everything we were hoping for, Clean, luxurious and the service was at Ritz Standars which is A+. The staff is willing to help and the front desk were very helpful and friendly! If there is a downside it is that there is no pool, but not much you can do about that. If you are thinking about staying here...DO IT. Its a solid Ritz Carlton.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank romtravel
David C, Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Washington, DC, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Thank you for your wonderful remarks regarding your stay with us. I was extremely pleased to se that our ladies and gentlemen provided you with The Ritz-Carlton experience you would expect. Warm Regards, David Child, Hotel Manger