“Not kid friendly”

The Ritz-Carlton, Washington, DC
Ranked #12 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
“Not kid friendly”
Reviewed July 23, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is in a good location and we enjoyed the club (club level) but there was no where for my boys to swim after a hot day touring the city.

Upon arrival the room we were assigned was not ready. The beds were pulled away from the wall and there was a shop fan drying the carpet. We were relocated but I would not have expected such an error at a hotel like this.

• Stayed July 2013
David C, Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Washington, DC, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Thank you for your feedback and first let me most sincerely apologize for the error with the first room you were given, I can inderstand your frustration. Although we do not have a pool, we are kid friendly in all other aspects and welcome families to stay with us. Should you wish to speak with me directy, please call 202 855 0500.
Warm regards,
David Child
Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed July 18, 2013

This was a short trip for business but I'm always impressed with the Ritz experience. It was as if I was the only guest and their number one priority. Service was outstanding. Room was immaculate and lovely. Mini bar was stocked with high end products. Bath was luxurious. And the bed was oh so comfy! I wish I could stay.....not something I say on most business trips. Good location. Easy walking to metro and lots of great restaurants.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Hackensack, New Jersey
Reviewed July 16, 2013

We have stayed at the Ritz Carlton in Toronto and had a amazing experiences at that property, so when we decided to stay at the Ritz in DC we hoped to get the same feeling. We stayed at the Club Level and yes, the room was large and comfortable and the service was wonderful and the Club Level service was terrific, but I felt just a little disappointed from our Toronto experiences. The gym at the hotel is UNBELIEVABLE. The location is fantastic, just a couple of blocks from Metro stops and a nice walk to the White House and the staff was warm and welcoming. The one complaint I have, and it is not really about the hotel but more about the people who stayed there while we were there, was families traveling with unruly children. Yes, I know how hard it is to keep young ones entertained and when they are hungry or tired even more-so. But when trying to relax in a very high end lounge that cost extra, and having the near constant screaming and running around of little kids can ruin the experience you plan and pay so much for. There were many families with kids who were well behaved or handled in the appropriate way (you misbehave, you get spoken to or you go). But unfortunately a couple of families allowed the kids to take over and lessen the experience. Touching everything, constant bickering and whining, running around without regard to other guests. And the staff smiles and does the best they can, but what choice do they have. Maybe at a different time, we would have had a different experience, but while the hotel was wonderful, some of the guests put a dampen on an otherwise potentially great stay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MooseLover08
Coal Township, PA
Reviewed July 15, 2013

I truly,don't think we have ever been so,,--,,I don't know,,''' I guess "Hugged" would be a good term. The accommodations were out of this world. The staff couldn't be more helpful. The handicapped room we reserved was taken, (I guess everybody overbooks) but let me tell you, that didn't stop these people. They tried and tried, Showed us another room, were willing to make all kinds of changes, gave comp, free tickets as an apologetic gesture, you name it. But the room we were in was one of the nicest we have ever been in. Wheelchair fit in the bathroom, doors were wide enough, all we really needed was a shower chair, and they had that in a blink! The doorman? I thought I was being mugged. (I'm a small town guy). He wouldn't let me get the Wheel chair or luggage out of the car.And he was one of the nicest people you could meet.I think he was from Sierra Leon, what a great guy. The desk, the lounge, the bar, the kitchen, OHHH the kitchen. Let me tell you. We are foodies, and I consider her a "Gourmand" but these folks, every dish, every meal, every morsel! It was five stars without a question! Pricey? Yes, , it's the Ritz fer heaven sakes, but if you are willing to splurge, once in a while, and you want to be pampered like you have the word Rockefeller in your name somewhere, then you owe it to yourself to try this at least once. We will save our pennies and probably do it again, it was that good. BTW. Joey Metts, if you read this, though I don't remember using the movie and treat, thank you soo much for making our stay one of the most enjoyable of my traveling life.

Room Tip: Here's a "TIP", if you "TIP" the right amount you tend to get better service...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Robert C
Boca Raton, Florida
Reviewed July 11, 2013

This hotel provided excellent service, provided a spacious room. Bedding was extremely comfortable, hotel staff was very helpful. Concierge service was average. Location is a several blocks from the Foggy Bottom Metro Station, from there easy to get to museums, the mall, etc.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Pantherfan13
united states
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Nice and quiet hotel with nice-sized bedrooms and bathrooms. Located in a quiet neighborhood but very accessible. However, was disappointed by the fact that although there was a full-service gym attached to the property, the hotel charges an additional $15/day for access to it. Also, wifi is an additional $10/day. Shouldn't both of these be free for a hotel that is supposed to be 5-star luxury? And no swimming pool? Really?

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
David C, Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Washington, DC, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Thank you for recently staying at The Ritz-Carlton, Washington DC.
I appreciate your patronage and I also appreciate you taking the time to share your valuable comments and feedback.
I apologize that you found our internet prices to be excessive – our pricing is actually in line with the other luxury hotels in the Washington DC market place.
I also understand that you expected our Sports Club to be complimentary – The Club is actually quite different than the typical hotel facility. The charge that the guest pays grants access to all fitness classes – there are over 30 offered every day, squash courts, swimming pools (which is why we do not have one), cardio equipment, weight studio, yoga rooms, basketball courts etc. It really is a world class health club – the best in Washington DC.
Warm Regards,
David Child
Hotel Manager
Chattanooga, Tennessee
Reviewed July 4, 2013 via mobile

Great staff, great location, what can I say? First visit to this location and I will return. The staff was very friendly and went out of their way to make sure we had everything we needed. Room was nice and after I removed the feather bed from mattress, the bed was comfy. Only issue was my room seemed warm and humid. Even with my air on 65 it just didn't seem that cool...and it was hot and humid in DC when we were there (6/26-7/1). I had two rooms and the other room seemed to cool as needed. If you are a Ritz fan, the 22nd street location won't let you down.

• Stayed July 2013