“Completely Up to Ritz Carlton Standards” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Ritz-Carlton, Washington, DC

The Ritz-Carlton, Washington, DC
Ranked #32 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
New York City, New York
“Completely Up to Ritz Carlton Standards”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

The hotel is in a good location, within easy walking distance of Dupont Circle. The rooms are nicely decorated and the marble bathrooms have separate shower stalls and bathtubs. Service is excellent and the concierge is particularly good about making restaurant reservations.

There are two noteworthy features of this Ritz Carlton: 1) the first class gym; and 2) a great restaurant. The gym is a branch of the Sports Club LA, and is huge (140,000 sf) with top equipment and a myriad of classes. The hotel restaurant, West End Bistro, is owned by Eric Ripert of Le Bernardin fame and is fabulous. A great choice for DC.

Room Tip: Choose a Club Level Room.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
Lexington Park, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

Attended a conference in the Ritz-Carlton ball rooms, and had the pleasure of staying at the hotel for 3 evenings. Excellent service, wonderful rooms, excellent bathroom, and good quality everything. Turn down service was a nice surprise. Obviously expensive, but sometimes the pampering and high-life is worth some extra money!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

I travel a lot for work and used points to book the Ritz-Carlton, Washington DC with points. I was going to use the marriott.com website, but decided to call because I have never stayed at this particular chain.

*I called the platinum reservation line and redeemed points.
1. I asked about the Club Lounge (it's included @ all Marriott's etc.)
2. I asked about the workout club (I have a health condition which requires to me to excercise daily)

***I was told everything was included. Guess what, when I checked in nothing was included. Everyone needs to know the Ritz-Carlton Lounge is $$ extra each night. I won't make that mistake again Don't get me wrong, it's really good, but telling a customer one thing and then doing another is a bait and switch.

A number of other items.
1. Having to open all the heavy exterior doors while carrying luggage, is not ritzy.
2. Having mis-communications between the Hotel and Platinum Reservation line, is not ritzy
3. Having key's not work 4 times, is not ritzy.
4. Finding a security radio in the room, is not ritzy.
5. Careful with room 1106 - Dripping water noises from the wall at night will keep you up.

What is Ritzy?
1. Club Lougne. It's worth the price, now that I know.
2. Workout club. I saw and used really cool machines
3. Conceirge getting us tickets so we didn't have to stand in line.

*Mary, at the Front Desk was sincere and continued to apologize. At the end I felt sorry for her.
*Kerem, the Ops Director and I had many chats over 2 days
*He did his best and honored what the Platinum Reservation Line said. I appreciate everything he did for us. He went above and beyond
*Jacquelyn, at the Front Desk...needs an attitude adjustment and her nose lowered.
*Until I insisted on talking to Kerem (and I was just going to call him) she acted like she owned the hotel, rather than realizing....the people staying there pay her salary.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

When we first walked into the lobby we knew this was one of the most beautiful, exquisite hotels we have ever seen. The chandeliers are gorgeous as is the entire lobby. We stayed in one of the suites with plenty of room, huge windows in every room with a great view of the city from each window. Our bedroom was separate and the living room had all you need to feel right at home. Everything about this hotel was exquisite from the lobby to the suites to the ballrooms. You really need to check out the ballrooms when you are there, gorgeous! The hotel is in the heart of the city so everything is right there for you to enjoy, you will find it hard to go anywhere though as it is so beautiful and comfy inside the hotel. If you are into exercising, they have the nice's exercise room I have ever seen, a ton of exercise equipment and tons of TV's to watch as you work out. They are pet friendly (which I didn't know at the time) so make sure not to leave your pet at home, next time Fifi will be coming with us and we will be staying here again.

Room Tip: Bring your pet
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Centerville, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

We checked in at 3:00 (official check in time) and our room wasn't ready. They sent us to the bar for a free drink. Unfortunately we all wanted to freshen up before local friends came to meet us at 4. We had to go back to the front desk, wait in line 15 minutes and finally got a key just as our friends arrived. We rushed to changed. The room was fine and they gave us am apology bag of jelly beans. Another source of contention was their $3 charge for 15 minutes of Internet. Really?

• Stayed April 2013
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

I was fortunate enough to attend a conference at the Ritz in late November. I stayed in the hotel, and was very happy I did. I know the price is a lot, but I was so impressed with my stay that I would seriously consider coming back again for a treat.

The room was perfect, and turn-down service was a very nice touch. The food at the restaurant was also very good. Most importantly though, the little touches and the service at the hotel made this an experience like no other. On check-in we were given little bags of red white and blue M&Ms like President Obama hands out at the White House. On my second evening arriving through the main doors of the building, the doorman greated me by name. When my friend was locked out of the room, the front desk staff recognized him and gave him another key. The concierge was able to give us directions to an entire list of places we wanted to see. They put out Mexican hot chocolate one evening when it got cold. They mailed some postcards back home for us. The lobby smelled amazing and when I asked what it was, they offered to provide me with the details for purchasing my own scented products through their distributors. They were always friendly, professional and really made my experience memorable.

I understand fully what five-star service means, and the Ritz Carlton sets that standard.

Room Tip: The rooms on the inside of the hotel view the inner courtyard. If possible, it might be nicer to ge...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

We stayed last June on a family trip to DC to visit all the sights. The staff and the hotel are beyond wonderful. We arrived very early Saturday morning and they had our room ready. They were more than helpful with walking details, dinner reservations and special arrangements to drive us to the airport in their Mercedes. We loved this hotel, and although we did not have a great view, we had a beautiful suite which was perfect for our family of four. They brought in a cot, we had a full HUGE bathroom and a half bath. Everything you can imagine from a Ritz and more. The staff were all helpful and friendly and the other guests elegant. The rooms quiet, clean and beautifully decorated. We hope to stay again next time we are in DC.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family