“Average? For a high-end hotel.”

The Ritz-Carlton, Washington, DC
Ranked #12 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Nashua, New Hampshire
“Average? For a high-end hotel.”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Maybe it was the build-up to staying at the DC Ritz, but overall it was something of a let-down. It is a beautiful hotel and the rooms are large. The bathroom was beautiful. Nothing bad. But the shower did not drain (fixed it after I asked) and my room did not lock (had to ask twice). I was attending a conference that seemed to be a little bit more than their normal capacity, and the service had the feeling of being strained. Like having to ask twice for my door lock to be fixed.

But after I checked out, and considered the premium cost, I had to compare it to other places I have stayed in DC, from the Marriott to the Hampton Inn. There was nothing about the Ritz that warranted the premium. I don't think I would go back.

1 Thank DrMarkWMeehan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

I was extrordinarily pleased with the service
In this hotel - probably among the best I've seen. The hotel itself did not disappoint and the room was superb. The bed was especially comfortable. I'd only recommend that they replace or clean some of their hallway carpeting; it just doesn't match with everything else.

I'd recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed December 2012
Reviewed February 25, 2013

This was our second visit to the Ritz Carlton Washington, DC, but the first time we stayed there with our family. Our children are ages 11 and 14, and we booked a king room for ourselves with an adjoining room with two queen beds for the kids. This was the only hotel I found, among other high-end properties, in DC that guaranteed that our two rooms would be adjoining when I booked the reservation. While that may sound like a "small" concession, it was "huge" because it meant I did not have to phone in advance to remind the hotel that we were travelling with minor children, that adjoining rooms were critical, and then "hope for the best" at check-in. Our rooms were spacious, quiet and lovely; our room service breakfasts were delicious and timely; and the concierge's restaurant recommendations for lunch and dinner were "spot on." Service was excellent. Our only regret is that we were so busy with sightseeing and seeing friends that weekend, that we did not have a chance to use the LA Sports Club, which is fantastic. We also appreciated the convenient location near the Foggy Bottom metro stop, and it's just nice, brisk (winter!!) walk to Georgetown. We had a terrific time, and we will stay here again with our kids (or as a couple) on our next trip to DC.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank NYCTraveller4
New York City, New York
Reviewed February 24, 2013

This hotel is excellent but is not without minor faults. The service is very good and well-intentioned but I found it a bit intrusive. During my stay, the staff were convinced that I had called and asked for two lightbulbs to be changed in my room (I had not). I had informed them they must have the wrong room but there were two additional follow ups, which I did not appreciate given that I was jetlagged and trying to sleep early.

However, overall the hotel is top notch and the rate we received was competitive. I ordered room service 3 times and each time it was delivered promptly. This hotel provides excellent service but they do tend to charge a lot for each item. I did, however, appreciate the complimetary shoe shine service.

Overall, despite the minor faults, I would rate this hotel as a '5' given that the rate we paid was very competitive and provided good value. If you are looking for a top notch experience in the DC area, this hotel will fulfill your requirements.

1 Thank wanderingnomad111
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reviewed February 21, 2013

I stayed there for five nights in mid February. Aside from some minor housekeeping issues, the service was top notch. The lobby bar is great for taking care of business. I love the location of this hotel because you are a short cab ride from most of the good restaurants. I did to particularly enjoy the in site restaurant. I thought it was overpriced for the type of food and service you get.

West Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed February 14, 2013

Another great three day stay. Flawless front desk. Quiet, well appointed room. Only quibble is that the elevator key slot was finicky and many guests had to fight with it to get to their floors. All in all, a great place to stay.

Room Tip: Room facing the inner courtyard is quieter.
Madison, Georgia
Reviewed February 12, 2013

My daughter and I stayed at the Ritz this past Saturday and cannot say enough wonderful things. From the minute we arrived the service was top quality, professional and focused on our total relaxation. Everyone from doormen, to the check-in (offering waters and other comforts) and even housekeeping were always available and asking if there was anything we needed. If you really want to feel extra special I highly recommend upgrading to the "Club Level" You can then enjoy breakfasts with the best pastries, fruits, hot eggs, bacon, champagne, juices, coffees, espressos, homemade hot chocolates, teas and many other delicious breakfast items. The Club level is open all day (breakfast, lunch and cocktail hrs) to visit at your whim. We especially enjoyed the cocktail hours with red and white wines, champagne with strawberries, cheeses, snacks and gourmet appetizers (hot and cold). We hardly had room for our dinner at the fabulous West End Bistro. Of course there are always candies, cookies and desserts at the club level as well. The rooms are great with views of the city, super comfortable beds and a fabulous rainfall showers head in the marble floor bathrooms. The President Lincoln milk chocolates and crackling fireplace on the TV for the turn-down service is also a nice touch. If you are looking for top notch service, comfort, cheerful employees and convenience in the city. This is the luxury hotel for you! I can't wait to return.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 9th floor (Club level) you can even come to breakfast in the cushy bath robe and s...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family