“Great hotel that doesn't overplay the power politics of DC”

The Ritz-Carlton, Washington, DC
Ranked #16 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed December 14, 2012

If you are looking for a solid Ritz in a great location - close enough to Georgetown, GW area, Embassy, White House, - this is a great choice. I like this hotel because the staff doesn't overplay the hand of "welcome to DC, where everyone thinks they are powerful". There are hotels down 16th that certainly do that. What a bore! Here, the staff is great. Lauren Sedwick was very helpful to my wife and me in dealing with our billing and room 733 was lovely. The bar was nice - cozy (everything is cozy on the first floor as a result of a strange floor plan). Only complaint was that I could have used stronger water pressure on our shower - I know, spoiled American. Thanks guys. See you again soon.

Room Tip: Ask to be away from where the construction is going on - it is happening outside of the Ritz
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed December 14, 2012

I had the luck to join a friend who was heading to DC for a wedding at the Ritz Carlton. I got to go along "for the ride" and enjoy the Ritz Carlton. The hotel was nice, the room was comfortable, and the stay was very pleasant. I wouldn't say it was a Wow, amazing room; but it was certainly very, very nice. Some specifics: The room remote wasn't working correctly. We reported it to the Concierge and when we returned from our activities outside, we found the remote working just fine. The bathroom was very very nice and the shower was terrific. In the late afternoon, early evening the hotel offered some hot mulled cider, coffee and tea and different cookie offerings. This was a really nice touch. The location was okay, but it did require mostly taxis to get around and about, although it was pretty easily walkable to either Dupont Circle or Georgetown. So, I'd say it was nice and depending on what your planned activities are is whether to consider this particular Ritz Carlton

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 5, 2012 via mobile

Excellent service from the moment you pull up to the door. Every single staff member seemed to make it their personal mission to make our stay as enjoyable as possible. Located within easy walking distance to both Georgetown and DuPont Circle.

No real lobby to speak of to sit and check emails (very few chairs), but the Lobby Lounge & Bar is a relaxing place to grab a coffee, tea, or alcoholic beverage after 5pm. Mulled cider and chocolate chip cookies were served by the elevators, a nice touch on a chilly day.

Overall, an excellent place to stay.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed November 18, 2012

We stayed here for a conference and were continually surprised by the exceptional service at this hotel. They did an excellent job anticipating and accommodating our needs, and I would rank this among the very best hotels we've experienced with respect to customer service.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 16, 2012

Typical Ritz quality hotel. Very elegant!! The lobby is small but there are a couple of entertaining floors. The hotel is pretty close to Marta, approximately 4 blocks next to GW hospital. The area is vagrant free, which is always a plus. I stayed on 5 floor which had some hard banging noises that appeared not to be construction. The room was very nice as usual, and every appeared new and fresh. Plenty of fluffy pillows. Separate shower was a plus. There was a Walgreens across the street

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

This is the first time that I stayed at a Ritz and it has convinced me to stay at a Ritz wherever I go. The staff made you feel very welcome. The service is attentive and courteous without being obsequious. The best part? After finishing the Marine Corps Marathon and returning to my room, there was a knock. At the door was a staff member with balloons and a personalized plaque with my name and marathon time congratulating me for finishing the marathon. Special touches like that just makes the stay so much more memorable!

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed November 2, 2012

My daughter and I stayed here for the Marine Corp Marathon weekend 2012 and because of Hurricane Sandy ended up staying an additional night when our flight was cancelled. The staff at the Ritz are the best I have ever seen; they knew our names and what our trip was about. They bent over backwards to accomodate any need we might have and their attitudes were flawless. Prior to the race, they left encourgaging notes in our room and when we returned from the race there was a balloon bouquet with a framed congrats with our race time on it. We were very much impressed. During the hurricane, they kept us informed with information sheets in our rooms and offered assistance with travel issues. The conciege was able to get us a rental car, in the midst of a rental car frenzy, so we were able to drive home. I have stayed at a host of five star properties, but can honestly say that the staff at this hotel was by far the best I have experienced. This is the only place I will stay if in DC again. Thanks guys for your amazing work and attitudes

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family