“Above and beyond”

Ranked #12 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Holly Springs, North Carolina
“Above and beyond”
Reviewed November 2, 2012

My daughter and I stayed here for the Marine Corp Marathon weekend 2012 and because of Hurricane Sandy ended up staying an additional night when our flight was cancelled. The staff at the Ritz are the best I have ever seen; they knew our names and what our trip was about. They bent over backwards to accomodate any need we might have and their attitudes were flawless. Prior to the race, they left encourgaging notes in our room and when we returned from the race there was a balloon bouquet with a framed congrats with our race time on it. We were very much impressed. During the hurricane, they kept us informed with information sheets in our rooms and offered assistance with travel issues. The conciege was able to get us a rental car, in the midst of a rental car frenzy, so we were able to drive home. I have stayed at a host of five star properties, but can honestly say that the staff at this hotel was by far the best I have experienced. This is the only place I will stay if in DC again. Thanks guys for your amazing work and attitudes

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank susanphill

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
Dulles, Virginia
Reviewed October 31, 2012

Over the past year, I've stayed in over 25 hotels across the U.S. and around the world. The best experience I had was a four night stay at the Ritz-Carlton in Georgetown/Washington D.C. It started at the very beginning, as the staff made sure I didn't leave anything behind in the taxi, and then I was greeted by name with a cold drink at reception (even though I had never been there before!).

The hotel was conveniently located within walking distance or a short walk to the metro of where I needed to be. The staff really went out of their way to ensure that I had a wonderful experience in the hotel. I certainly plan on staying here on my next trip to Washington, and would certainly love to take my family the next time!

Many thanks to the Ritz staff for such a wonderful experience.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank David S
Tashkent
Reviewed October 26, 2012

it was really a wonderful experience. The room was big, clean, well appointed, and comfortable. The staff were friendly and helpful. In spite of it being a very fancy hotel, I never felt uncomfortable. The bathroom was just stunningly beautiful. Location was nice, close to State and Foggy Bottom.

The minuses are minor, and some are just typical of hotels of this caliber: no executive lounge, and the fabulous health club cost $15 per use. Very pricy breakfast. And the building is kind of ugly. But if you get the right rate and don't care about the free stuff--you'll love it.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed October 25, 2012

We recently visited the Ritz while my husband had a conference at the Convention Center. The hotel was comfortable, service was excellent and staff was very courteous. We liked the turndown service with water and chocolates every night, we also liked the afternoon snacks (m&m's, chocolate chip cookies, warm apple cider). The gym did cost an extra $15/ day - but it was really nice and well worth the extra expense. The little cafe next to the gym has really good smoothies. I did not go to the spa on this trip. The hotel is well situated, a short 10 minute walk to Georgetown shopping and about a 30 minute walk to The Mall/Smithsonian museums. Room service was quick and tasty. We did use the valet parking - very convenient, but pricey $50/day. The staff even got stuffed animals to take home to our children - very thoughtful!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 14, 2012

My husband and I love this hotel. We celebrated our anniversary and the entire staff took wonderful care of it. We are elite members with Marriott and really appreciate warm service and clean and warm surroundings. We will be back for Thanksgiving

Room Tip: We had a suite and suggest if you want to rest and relax get a suite
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Lima, Peru
Reviewed October 13, 2012

We visited the Ritz-Carlton in Washington D.C. in October 2012 as part of a family vacation. The hotel was very nice, and the service was great. If you have small children you may want to consider a suite, as we did, as it has a sofa bed. I would also recommend staying in a room on the club level as you can eat breakfast their and have snacks and drinks as you would like. The Ritz is also close to the Foggy Bottom metro station, and is about 15 minutes by metro and taxi to the center of the Capital Mall (memorials and museums).

Room Tip: Choose a room on the club level.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Silver Spring, MD
Reviewed October 7, 2012

The Ritz Carlton was our choice for my daughter's recent wedding reception. We had over 200 guests. Table settings were excellent. The staff was at all times professional. The food was exceptional, and the banquet staff made excellent accommodations for our guests with kosher and halal requirements. Guests who had special last-minute food requests were also well taken care of. We were given three complementary suites (I believe)--one for the bride and groom, one for ourselves, and one for the family of the groom.

I gave the Ritz an "excellent" rating, yet not everything was perfect. One suite we had reserved (and paid for) was occupied and unavailable. The hotel offered reception lighting packages, but my daughter elected to go with an outside lighting company. Consequently we were charged a very hefty "connection fee" by the Ritz. Also, the hotel wanted so much money to show a video of the happy couple that we elected not to show it.

In the end, be prepared to spend an enormous sum of money. But be prepared to attend the wedding reception of a lifetime. When all is said and done, our guests were thrilled, the families delighted, the bride and groom wonderfully and lavishly celebrated. Would I recommend this property for a wedding reception? In spite of some excessive charges, yes, 2 thumbs up.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family