“Luxury in the District but has Competition”

The Ritz-Carlton, Washington, DC
Ranked #16 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed May 13, 2012

This was a very lovely property and I had an overall enjoyable stay. I am a Rewards member and was surprised to not have a room available when I arrived at 4:00 pm since check-in is typically at 3:00 and Rewards Members are usually allowed to check in even earlier. We were granted access to the club room but had to order room service to the room as food and beverage service was not available until 5 or 6. We were escorted to our room which was not very large and the closet was tiny. It was a corner room but having stayed at many Ritz Carlton properties I was a little underwhelmed. The staff in the Club Room was VERY attentive and personable. One Staffer overheard that I forgot my razor and had 2 waiting in the room upon our checking in---this is why Ritz Carlton is set apart- this type of Sevice is what you expect and she did not disappoint.

Food and Beverage presentations were nice but doesn't comapre to the Ritz Carlton in Dallas. The spa treatments were nice but it is operated by an LA Fitness Company adjacent to the Hotel.

The room prices are comprable to other Ritz Carltons; however, in the DC market where there is much comptetion in the luxury market I would shop around for the best value for your dollar.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank savvytravelernola
There are newer reviews for The Ritz-Carlton, Washington, DC

Reviewed May 8, 2012

Pay attention to your credit card statement! We were charged FOUR times for the same weekend stay! Each time they charged our card it was for a different amount - each amount over $1900.00. It took three days to clear up this mess - we spoke to several different people including someone in the corporate office. They were all unapologetic and very disorganized.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
5  Thank Symon S
Reviewed April 27, 2012

totally unlike any Ritz i have stayed at. missing the level of service that you come to expect from a first class hotel. will never stay at this property again

Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank conn02
Reviewed April 25, 2012

I'm never disappointed in the physical appearance and stayability of a Ritz property, but what brings me back over and over is the consistency of the service. I almost never leave a Ritz without at least one "WOW" experience. Unfortunately, I never really got close to that at this property.
Employees routinely called me by my first name, when they knew or remembered my name at all. The reservations were a challenge and much of my party did not get assigned proper rooms confirmed in the reservation. One of our party had someone's luggage in his room on the 3rd day of our stay. (I bet the people who were without their luggage were especially disappointed).
Club reservations generally insure a private, prepared check-in, but not at this property. And club only guarantees you access, NOT CLUB LEVEL. I was on the 7th floor and the club was on 9. The bell staff was totally uninspired and didn't even attempt to help when they saw members of our party wheeling luggage. If they happened to be near a door they opened it. No eye contact, no "welcome home". The cigarette disposal's were overflowing and dirty out front.
After one day in our meeting room, we were alerted that there was a security issue with another party that was government related holding a meeting. We were forced to move our meetings to the Georgetown Ritz, which led to a 7 am departure by shuttle so we could keep our meeting schedule. When we returned that day, we saw many other clients shuttling all through the same area, leading us to believe that the "security issue" was no more than an overbooking or an attempt to please another, more important client. I guess they got a "wow" as they were accomodated and we drug ourselves back and forth on 20 minute bus rides rather than take an elevator to our room after a day of conference as we had planned more than a year ago.
By the way, the Georgetown Ritz staff was very accomodating and greeted us warmly both days we visited with them. You may want to stay there. It seems the "Gold Standard" is not lost on them.
Room was nice and well kept. The club offerings are very good. Club staff overall was mediocre in hospitality and refinement. At least one had visible tatoos showing. My last Ritz rating I gave was gushing and mentioned several staff members by name. I'm afraid the only name I can remember is the Meeting coordinator, who we were in constant contact with as she attempted to put out fire after fire. She is lovely, but the trip was a mess.
The property looks like a Ritz in its refinements, although the set up is rather jagged with corridors and dark corners to navigate to move about the lobby floor. But oak, mahogany, brass and crystal chandeliers are just a sliver of the Ritz experience. The ladies and gentlemen of the Ritz are what bring me back.... I will not return to this property.

Room Tip: There is no "money" view here. Club access will give you decent servings for B/L/D and dri...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Davek36
Reviewed April 23, 2012

A wonderful place to stay for a business trip to D.C. A warm and attentive staff, great concierge! Close to Georgetown and shopping, great restaurants nearby, close to metro transit system. Perfect for a private function. Nice rooms. The hotel has a wonderful restaurant, Eric Rippert's West End Bistro, a great place for dinner and cocktails. The Lobby bar is as wonderful and as clubby as it gets! Order a classic drink, slink back into a warm and cozy booth and be transported into what a hotel bar should be!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank MegansTrips
Reviewed April 23, 2012

We only stayed for one night while we were catching concert in town but the hotel was great, would definitely stay again!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 23, 2012

We stayed here for a wedding for two nights over new year's eve and had a great time. The hotel was in great shape (although the furnishings were a little dated) and I really appreciated being able to work out at the attached health club. The hotel is very close to the metro and within walking distance of Georgetown and Dupont Circle without being too much in the middle of the craziness of those neighborhoods.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family