“Better than we thought”

Ranked #121 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Phoenix
“Better than we thought”
Reviewed April 22, 2007

We used Priceline to get a great deal on this hotel. Agree with other reviews in that it's not the most convenient location. However, if the weather is good and you don't mind walking, you'll get a beautiful city and campus tour on your way to D.C.'s hot spots.

Rooms were small, but clean and modern. Nice beds and bathroom amenities.

The front desk gave us inconsistent information about the shuttles to Rosslyn and Dupont Metro stations -- one clerk said they didn't run at all on weekends, one said they did. May want to call in advance if shuttle service is a big priority.

For what we paid, we were more than satisfied with this hotel.

Stayed April 2007
2 Thank azmarie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
New York
Reviewed April 14, 2007

When we arrived the Bellman was wonderful! Gave my nephews each a bag with juice and granola bars. Ask for candy bars, we each got one, and it was great chocolate! And lots of literature on places in Georgetown and DC. Rooms are very small, especially for a family of 5. They provide for FREE a small refrigerator, microwave and a cot for my one nephew.

Parking is horrible! You have to park in the hospital parking garage at $25 a day! There is a FREE shuttle service to take you to the Metro Trains. You can go to either Dupont Circle or to Rosslyn. It's called the GUTS. Runs about every 10-20 minutes. That was a plus.

There were free cookies (that were great!) and lemonade in the lobby all day long, and apples in the morning. Just down the hall is a "cafeteria" style restaurant, and breakfast was not too bad at all, depending on what you want to eat. They make omlets for you and have other warm items. The warm items are weighed by the pound. Don't get fruit, as it also is very expensive and by the pound! My husband and my self ate breakfast for about $15.00. Not bad! Stay away from donuts and danish as they want $1.35 for one donut and $2.50 for a danish! YIKES!

We ate at Hoya's restaruant one night and food was excellent, a bit expensive, but worth it to us, as we had been eating pizza for two nights in a row, and it's not the best pizza. There also is another area that surves Subway/Taco Bell/KFC/Pizza Hut, but they close at 7:00 and we would get back later than that. So we ordered take out. You can order pizza and other fast food to be delivered, just ask at the front desk.

The kids were very disapointed to not be able to swim, as you have to use the college facilities, and it was $10 a person a day, even if you just wanted to watch the kids and not go in. We didn't do it. $40 is a lot to swim for about a 1/2 hour.

Over all, it was enjoyable. Oh, stay away from the National Aquarium, you see more fish at the local Petco for free as you have to pay $6.00 a person to go in and $2.00 for the kids. What a waste of time! Smithsonians are WONDERFUL and free! Wear really good walking shoes, you'll need them! Highly recommend Arlington Cemetary, and the changing of the guards. A must see!

Take the GUTS to Dupont Circle and then the Metro to Cleavland stop. Walk to the Zoo is on flat ground about 7 blocks. Then you can walk down hill to Woodley Park Metro stop, which is a little shorter, about 5 blocks. But better to walk on flat ground then uphill. Zoo is fabulous and FREE! We didn't see it all! So much to do and see there! And very clean!

Hotel is very hard to find! Very small sign, you have to go into what looks like the hospital emergency, the first entrance. Go to way in the back. Very deciving. But we finally found it. Just wish swimming was free and that we had some sort of discount on parking as guest of the hotel. Beds were very, very comfy! Great toiletries also!

• Liked — We got a good deal on Priceline. Free shuttle service, and employees are wonderful! Friendly!
  • Disliked — No free pool. Not much for the kids at night to do. Parking is outrageous!
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
4 Thank Isabell1960
San Francisco Bay Area
Reviewed March 24, 2007

Previous reviewers are correct -- this hotel is in a very bizarre, inconvenient location. It is actually on the Georgetown campus, directly behind the hospital. If you are hiring a cab, definitely bring directions with you and tell the driver the hotel is on campus next to the hospital. I didn't have any problems.

However, it is possible to get around without paying high taxi fares. The free Georgetown shuttle picks up right next to the hotel and can take you to the subway (Dupont or Rosslyn). But the shuttle does stop running at 9 p.m., so you may have to find a different way to get home. Also, the hotel is within walking distance of the shops, restaurants, bars, etc. on Wisconsin and M. Simply head east on Reservoir Road, and it's about a 10-minute walk. Really not that bad.

The hotel itself is decent. It's older, and the decor is definitely tired. The carpet in my room was worn out and had a huge bleach (??) stain. But the mattresses are newer, and the bedding is very comfortable. And I liked the Bath & Body Works toiletries (although you wouldn't catch me taking a bath in that tub).

The best part about my stay was the staff -- very, very friendly!! They were great about answering questions and helped me figure out the shuttle system. They also provided a little "care package" with bottled water and granola bars when I checked out -- very nice for traveling!

Overall, the stay was fine, but I think I'll look for a nicer hotel in a more convenient location next time.

• Liked — Friendly staff
  • Disliked — Location, appearance of hotel
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank unicornn
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed March 18, 2007

This Marriott is for a traveler who is visiting someone on the Georgetown campus or have business on campus or a long-term hospital visitor. The service was good, there was a bellhop that was VERY friendly and I didn’t get the impression he was bucking for a big tip, (and I can spot that a mile away because I hate it). Also the room service personnel were polite. Housekeeping was very polite but not very detailed. When I checked under my bed before checking out I noticed trash I knew was there since the first night we got there. There was obvious trash left on the floor. They did clean the bathroom well but dropped the ball in the living area. The rooms did not have enough seating. The room was small (like most rooms in DC and in other cities), but I expected to have a chair, beside the desk chair to sit in.
Very comfortable beds and I have a particular back.
The hotel is not near any of the Washington attractions or shopping but the shuttle buses are very convenient. They will take you to metro stops. The entire neighborhood of Georgetown is not part of the metro system so shuttles and buses are the way to get around, (I never recommend taxis in DC it’s one city where I recommend to avoid them).
There is a little kind of food court on one side of the hotel where college students, hotel guest and staff from the hospital eat. But if you are a late night eater do not depend on these places to eat.

Stayed March 2007
2 Thank aduckisaduck
Bloomington, IN
Reviewed February 6, 2007

Let me start by saying $200 per night sure doesn't buy you much in the Washington DC area. For that kind of cash (almost 1/3 of my monthly rent bill!) I would expect a lot more. This hotel is pretty similar to a lot of the "pricey" hotels that I've stayed at. What I mean by that is that you get really nice lobbies, fancy restaurants, etc. What you don't get are things that you get for free at a Super 8, like free internet, fridge, microwave, parking, breakfast, pool, etc. Let me elaborate a little bit more.

This must be one of the last hotels in the United States that does not have wireless internet. Instead they have this old wired internet that costs $9.95 per day. It worked pretty well, but it's an old 10Base-T Half-Duplex signal, so it doesn't work when your network card is set for 100Base-T Full-Duplex (which is the standard these days). I had to call tech support to configure it, but then it finally worked.

No fridge or microwave.

Local channels (FOX, CBS, etc) were full of static, almost to the point where you couldn't watch them.

No free breakfast. They leave a breakfast menu in your room. Most options were about $10 or so for a small breakfast that would be free at most other hotels.

No free parking. I know this is DC, but $25 per day? That's pretty crazy to me.

Location. This would be a great location if you are going to stay completely on campus, or at the hospital. But if you want to get off campus and go see some things either in Georgetown or in DC, you are going to have to take a taxi. For some crazy reason there is no Metro stop within 2 miles of Georgetown. In addition, all of the Georgetown restaurants and bars are on M street, and that is a good 25 minute walk south through campus from the hotel.

No pool. Evidently you could get a 1 day pass for the Georgetown fitness center for a small fee. I didn't pay that fee to find out about it.

There were a few good things about the hotel. It was nice that there was a food court, and several restaurants right in the conference center. I went to one called Hoyas several times. It was nice, although everything was expensive, as would be expected with a hotel restaurant. The room was definitely clean, and seemed in pretty good shape. I never had a problem with not having enough towels or anything like that.

So in summary, this hotel is ok, but definitely not worth $200 per night. Also this is not the place to go if you want to go to any tourist locations in DC.

Stayed January 2007
3 Thank leonar40Bloomington
Colorado
Reviewed February 5, 2007

Overall, the bed was comfortable, the room was clean, and the staff at all levels was extremely friendly and helpful. They were having troubles with the phone system while I was there (you could only manually dial the operator, no automatic extensions worked), and the TV channels are relatively mediocre compared to other hotels of similar class. This last is not surprising, considering they are using Georgetown University as their cable provider. My biggest complaint is the lack of wireless internet. Almost every hotel (even smaller, boutique places) have this feature.

Despite all of this, the staff made the difference. I would recommend this hotel to anyone doing business in the Georgetown area because of my encounters with the employees. When I had just the slightest problem, they fixed it with alacrity and a smile.

Stayed February 2007
Raleigh, NC
Reviewed January 16, 2007

I was kicking myself after booking this place via Priceline and then reading the reviews on this board. Sounded like it was located in the middle of nowhere. However, what made up for its location is the free shuttle bus which connects G'town U with downtown. So, here's my pros/cons/tips of this hotel:

Pros:
=========
* Comfy Beds
* Friendly Staff
* Food Court located in the hospital
* Free Shuttle Bus

Cons:
=========
* Parking is $25/day (ouch!)
* Location - Not near any sights
* Small Bath

Tips:
* Use the shuttle bus to get around - it leaves every 20 minutes
* Park elsewhere - I stayed for 6 nights so I parked in a mall garage. This might not work for everyone.
* Internet - Don't pay the room internet. Go to the student lounge and use it for free

• Liked — Bed
  • Disliked — Location
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled on business