“Marriott on Campus”

Ranked #121 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Chicago, Illinois
“Marriott on Campus”
Reviewed May 23, 2008

Stayed over Memorial weekend 2007. The hotel is connected to the campus which is beautiful. The bus system is very good to get to the sites in DC but be prepared to walk . We had no hot water which was ok, since it was extremely hot and humid this weekend. The water problem was fixed before we left.

• Liked — The price
  • Disliked — no hot water
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed May 8, 2008

Stayed at the Georgetown University Marriott from 5/4-5/7 for a busineess conference. When my taxi dropped me off, I wasn't sure if I was in the right location, the entrance said Convention Center. The Marriott's Front desk was just inside the door and check in went very smooth. The facility is clean, rooms were well maintained and staff take care of their guests. The beds were of Marriott quality and I slept like a log. No WiFi, you connect your laptop via ethernet cable - no problems. Housekeeping kept the rooms and hallways clean. The Conference Center is spacious and well organized, having the Marriott Conference Center in the Leavey Center made me remember my own college days. I will return in 6 months for a second meeting and look forward to the accomodations.
If you are doing any business at Georgetown University or personal stay, including Georgetown University hospital, this is the ideal location. This Marriott is situated in the Leavey Center with great eating and restaurant choices. The Hoya's restaurant was top notched. The Marriott is a short walk to some other excellent off-campus pubs and restaurants. Georgetown University has groundbreaking roots going back to the late 1700's and it's buildings architecture are beautiful to see as it is to walk-thru - such as Riggs Library.

Stayed May 2008
1 Thank klondike459
Southern NJ
Reviewed March 26, 2008

We stayed at this Marriott hotel during our recent visit to Georgetown University with our teenaged daughter, and overall, we were very pleased with the experience.

Definitely this on-campus hotel is the place to stay for a visit to Georgetown University; the admissions office is just a couple buildings away. Yes, in addition to the room charge, it is $25 a day to park, but then the vehicle is right there when you want to leave, and you can avoid the horrendous DC traffic during a campus visit.

We had a late arrival, so we really did not get to use any of the facilities, other than the internet access, which is an annoying $9.95 per day per room.

All three of us independently came to the conclusion that the beds were the best hotel beds we had ever slept on! Great pillows! Nice comforter....wonderful mattresses! We all got a great night of sleep and were well-rested for a full day of campus touring. Should we go back to Georgetown University, we will definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Liked — The wonderful beds
  • Disliked — Paying $9.95 a day per room for internet
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
Virginia
Reviewed March 15, 2008

We stayed here for one night. Our aim was to stay as close to Georgetwon University as possible and this hotel is actually really on the campus. Our room faced a pretty courtyard and we enjoyed seeing the students relaxing in the sun. Otherwise, this hotel is in need of a MAJOR overhaul. We did not get a good rate and I wish I had known about priceline before arrival. Parking is $25 a day in an adjacent deck. You can NOT pull up to the hotel and unload your bags. There is noone to help you with your luggage. You have to haul it all by yourself from the garage to the room. This involves going up stairs. Our room had peeling wallpaper, a mildewed bathroom and thin walls so we heard our neighbors during the night. The TV is from the 1970s I think. The reception on the TV was poor-very grainey to say the least. We paid $9.95 for internet service from noon to noon. But...don't pay for internet as we discovered you can actually access the Georgetown wireless internet for free. I am surprised that Marriott allows its name on this hotel as it is really on older feeling Holiday Inn from the 1970s. It is a great location for seeing Georgetown University but not for touring DC. We found cabs to be expensive to just take us a few blocks up to M Street($13.80). If you get a good deal, then stay here. Just be aware of what to expect. On the plus side- the hotel staff is very nice-especially Joseph who is at the front door greeting everyone. The beds were comfortable as well.

• Liked — Great location on Georgetown campus-perfect for touring Georgwteon University
  • Disliked — Hotel feels old and in need of a MAJOR overhaul. Hotel rate and parking too expensive.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank Vacation209
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed February 6, 2008

I scored this hotel by bidding on it on a discount travel website. I managed to get a rate of $65/night, but I was a bit concerned after reading some negative reviews. If you are considering the hotel as a cheap alternative to D.C.'s more expensive options, then you won't be disappointed. The room was clean, and the lobby was attractive. The bed is pure Marriot...very, very comfortable, with good linens and nice pillows. The hotel is located in the Georgetown University hospital complex, so it is a bit out of the way. However, the hotel is a ten minute walk from Wisconsin Ave., which hosts Georgetown's premier shopping and dining destinations. Cabs to the tourist sites are about $10-$15, but the expense isn't that bad if you only make one round trip a day. This hotel probably isn't for someone who has high expectations or want a luxurious weekend getaway. It works perfectly however for people who want a cheap place to stay while visiting D.C. I was happy with my weekend stay and would recommend the hotel to friends and family.

• Liked — Clean and cheap.
  • Disliked — Location was a bit remote.
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled solo
orlando
Reviewed November 29, 2007

At first, I was a little worried that it wasn't a good pick, because it seemed an out of the way location. After the first night, I realized it was only a short walk through a gourgeous campus to happening M Street. There was also a shuttle that ran every 10 minutes right outside the hotel to the subway. Every afternoon in the lobby there was an ice cold canister of water flavored with fresh fruit (strawberries, oranges, melons, kiwi) and some cookies. I didn't even bother with the in room coffee. I just went downstairs in my pj's to the campus center and got my coffee and breakfast. The University Bookstore and convenience store was also in the hotel. The beds were very comfortable and the windows even opened a bit. I would definitely stay there again.

• Liked — Shuttle to Subway-Fruit Scented Water-Beds
  • Disliked — View from the room
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled solo
cpabob
Reviewed September 20, 2007

I stayed at about a dozen hotels in the DC area over the last two months due to business commitments. I limited my selections to 3 and 4 star hotels. Out of the dozen I would rate this hotel as 12 (with #1 being the best). For the life of me I can't figure out how it has a 3 star rating. A 1.5 star rating would be generous. As far as pros and cons, there are no pros. The cons are as follows:

1. When we checked in there was no valet service.
2. The front of the hotel faces the front of a cancer center across 50 feet of blacktop (unlike the website photo which gives the appearance that the hotel faces the street).
3. In order to get to the street from the hotel entrannce you have to walk through several parking lots and you can't see the hotel entrance from the street.
4. While being on the Georgetown campus sounds attractive, the reality is that the hotel is in the middle of a construction zone as major construction/renovation is being done on the campus next to the hotel.
5. If you chose to park on the street instead of paying the hotel a $25.00 a night parking fee, you need to carry your luggage close to half a mile through several parking lots and around a few buildings because if you leave your car in front of the hotel while you unload your luggage (see above-no valet) you will get a ticket for leaving your car in a no parking zone (we got one and the car was only there for 5 minutes). Complaints to the hotel and the University about their not disclosing this fact on their website remain unanswered.
6. The first room assigned to us had a faded rug, a desk light that didn't work and a window that faced a field with bright lights on all night. We asked for a switch.
7. The second room assigned to us also had problems with inoperative lights. We again asked for a switch.
8. We stayed in the third room assigned to us. We did this even though we then had to wait close to two hours for the overly loud air conditioner to cool off the room since the air was not on in this room prior to our arrival. At this point it appeared that faded rugs were a problem throughout the entire hotel. After eating wraped candy from the candy dish in this (third) rooom we noticed the next day that the dish also contained unwrapped candy that someone apparently had half eatten and then spit back into the bottom of the dish. It was never explained how housekeeping didn't notice this when they made up the room prior to our arrival. Next time I will inspect the entire contents of a dish of candy before I take one. Thinking I did not have to do this was one of the many things that I erroneously took for granted at this hotel. Expecting to not find half eatten candy in the candy dish, expecting the air conditioner to already be turned on in the room before it was assigned to me since it was 90 degrees outside, expecting valet service (or a legal place to park in front of the hotel while I carried my own bags into the hotel), expecting to not have to go up and down the elevator three times before I was assigned an acceptable room and expecting a reasonable reply to my complaints are other expectations that I had which were not met.
9. The staff appeared to be either poorly trained or too lazy to do their job correctly. They made no offer to help us with our luggage when they saw us struggling with it and when we made a comment about the quality of the rooms and the faded rugs in the hotel they simply said "all the rooms (are) the same".

I would never stay here again. I paid $70.00 a night and I feel I way overpaid. Both Georgetown University and the Mariott Hotel chain should be embarrassed lending their name to this hotel.
Again, a 1.5 star rating would be generous.

Stayed September 2007