“likely the best coffee in DC”

M. E. Swing Coffee House
Ranked #32 of 158 Coffee & Tea in Washington DC
Neighborhood: Dupont Circle
Neighborhood: Dupont Circle
Reviewed July 1, 2014

it's about the coffee. great beans, good machine, and prepared by baristas who know their stuff. can get busy, but the line moves pretty fast.

Reviewed June 30, 2014

Best coffee shop I've ever been to. Went there every day for years. Lorraine became a real friend and I loved their Kenyan AA beans and High Mountain Blend. Half price bagels made it a worthy afternoon stop.

Reviewed June 5, 2014

They have the best coffee! I also really enjoy their selections of pastries and the staff is always friendly.

Reviewed March 16, 2014

We have lived here (Alexandria) for 18 months and we have been searching for a coffee shop on par with some of our other favorites in the other places we have lived. I am addicted to their coffee and I really like Diplomat Blend. We bought muffins and they were moist and tasty. Again, we went there primarily for coffee not to eat. Not much of selection though. I didn't mind that it had an industrial vibe. I liked the old wooden sliding door and some of the other antiques. And they were playing great 80s music.

1  Thank mikenrona
Reviewed December 20, 2013

If you are used to drinking Italian style coffee, this is as close as we found in Washington DC. The pastries are French style, fresh and tasty, sweet but not sickly. The blueberry pastry was my favourite. The atmosphere is buzzy and seating is limited as is the menu. But there is no confusion as to what they do. They roast, sell, serve and drink coffee, and the pastries are as they should be, French style and not over-processed. It is typical in the US to have large cups like those offered in Starbucks outlets. So just remember to ask for the small cup otherwise you can drown in the bathtub size vessels they dilute the coffee in. Finding a good traditional coffee shop seems the exception rather than the rule in the US. It felt like a miracle to run into this place. When we rate this as excellent, that means excellent for the US probably not anywhere else.

2  Thank greenrock7