“Party of five--late checkin, good night's sleep”

Courtyard by Marriott Washington Embassy Row
Ranked #41 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed July 30, 2014

I had made reservations for one night at another hotel. My husband, our three sons (6, 11, and 13) and I were checking in very late, around 11:00 pm. When we arrived to the other hotel, we just did not feel comfortable. There were people lingering in front of the hotel; valet did not help us park; and when I looked at the room, I just felt uncomfortable. Had we arrived in the daytime, I might have felt differently.

So we searched nearby for a hotel. We checked tripadvisor. We do tend to stay at Marriott properties. We came by this hotel. It was well lit, and the desk clerk was polite, helpful, and professional. Initially I asked for two rooms. But when I went to bring in the luggage, I saw that the one room had two double beds and a pullout. I then mentioned to the clerk that I might not need both rooms, and he offered a discount on the second room. So we took both.

We usually do not like rooms on the first floor, but it was late and we were all tired. The rooms were down a hall from the elevators, but fortunately, there was a door to close off the hall. The rooms were quite large and clean. They also were connecting.

In the morning, the hotel was busy with guests. But I noticed that in the rooms, we could not hear anyone. These rooms are a good fit for a family of five. If I were to stay here again, I would inquire if the same setup was available on an upper floor.

We left for a few hours and brought the luggage to our car--the valet was helpful.

Although there is a restaurant, one suggestion that I will mention is it might be nice to offer free coffee and juice in the morning.

Overall, a comfortable night's stay!

1  Thank AndiamoG5

Reviewed July 28, 2014 via mobile

I checked in late and checked out early. The room was very nice. Everything worked well and the bed and pillows were comfortable. The breakfast (not included) was very good as was the service...........................................

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Michael92780
Reviewed July 22, 2014

This hotel is either new or recently redone because it looked great. It has a restaurant on premisses that is a bit pricey and limited menu but it is a good option to have for breakfast. Our room was large two queen beds and a pull out sleeper sofa. Really enjoyed out stay and it was a great rate even on holiday weekend.

Room Tip: just up 17th street is a good row of restaurant to eat, easy walk down to the White House.
2  Thank Janninedf
Reviewed July 20, 2014

From check in to departure, a great experience. The front desk staff were welcoming and helpful, and that set the stage for our entire visit. Everyone, bellmen, staff in the restaurant, the housekeeper, all polite and professional.

Our room was clean, comfortable and quiet. The breakfasts were good, and a fair price considering you're in the middle of DC. I have to point out that the brewed coffee was very bitter several of the days we were there.

This hotel is on our list for a return visit.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor, away from the elevator.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed July 19, 2014

My wife, two teens, and myself stayed here for three nights from July 2nd to the morning of the 5th. The room had no fridge or microwave like the much cheaper Super 8 we stayed in on the way to DC. The toliet was leaking when we checked into the room and there weren't enough towels for all four of us. I phoned about the toliet (it was leaking from the tank, so it was clean water at least, but I didn't appreciate my soggy socks). They came up to check it out right away. Still, it continued to leak, but at a much slower rate. I reminded them about it when we checked out. The room was clean, but needed updating. There was a sleeper sofa in the room leftover from the 70s based on the material/design. The cushion were worn out, so it was uncomfortable to sit on. As other reviewers stated, if you booked this room through an online company, you did not get an exceptional view. Our room looked out onto 16th street. Traffic noise was apparent, but not overly bad except for sirens. The staff was friendly. The hotel restaurant, The Nage, was pricey, but the service was good and the food was very good! Our total bill for supper including tip was $200. After the long day of sightseeing, it was worth it. The staff gave us directions to area restaurants and even to a city park where we could view the fireworks without getting into the crowds on the national mall. The big drawback was it was only valet parking and our van was damaged by the staff. On the plus side, the hotel owned up to it and is paying for the repairs. Would I stay here again? Maybe. The location to the tourists spots was decent.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
GstServiceManager, Guest Relations Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Washington Embassy Row, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2014

Dear Jim T,

Thank you so much for reviewing us on TripAdvisor.

I'm sorry you were not able to enjoy your stay as much as we would have hoped and that we did not meet your expectations.

In addition, I'm disappointed you were not able to enjoy your view overlooking 16th Street. Our hotel is one of the smaller buildings in the area which limits the views of Washington, DC to just Scott Circle. I am also sorry if you felt you were put in a lesser room because you booked online, that was never our intention. In regards to the furnishings of the room, we are working on renovating our hotel to be finished by early next year.

Please feel free to reach out to me regarding your stay; I'd be happy to discuss the other aspects with you.

Regards,
Alyssa

Reviewed July 16, 2014

Nice Hotel situated central im Washington,
Nice staff, very helpful, rooms very nice, and colmfetable, clean, and in good standard
We stayed for 2 nights, and enjoyed is very much, would like to come back

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed July 11, 2014

We stayed at this hotel for 4 nights on a recent trip to Washington. The hotel is about 30-45 minutes from Dulles Intl airport and 15-20 from Reagan Intl airport depending on traffic.

With the Marriott name you generally can't go wrong and this hotel was no exception. We were greeted by friendly staff who actually came out from behind their desks to greet you. We had a good clean room on the 7th floor that was generally quiet. Noise from Police and Ambulance vehicles is common in the area and we did hear it on the 7th floor, but generally it didn't disturb too much.

For tourist attractions the hotel is very centrally located. It is on the same street that the church where JFK's funeral was held. The White House and major museums are near. It is very close to the 'hop on, hop off' tourist busses and within 10 minutes walk of at least two subway stations. The restaurants of 7th Ave are not too far and the hotel also has quite a decent bistro as well.

I found the staff very easy to deal with. They very happily accommodated our late check out request and they also accommodated our friends room change request. So all in all a big WELL DONE, I would definitely recommend and stay again!

Room Tip: Go as high as possible because there is a degree of street noise in Washington.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends