“Solid choice for a no frills stay...”

Courtyard by Marriott Washington Embassy Row
Ranked #38 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed February 3, 2014

Stayed at this Courtyard for a wedding and found it to be an acceptable choice. Staff was friendly and helpful and the lobby is inviting. The rooms;however,while clean, were showing there age and the bed pales in comparison to what the Sheraton chain has started using. The hotel restaurant refers to Starbucks coffee but if you let it get lukewarm in the carafe at breakfast, it's still not tasty. I will say the eggs Benedict with crabcakes was terrific but with a limited menu everything should be available and there was no gravlox when ordered. Well situated if you need to be in this section of the NW, but there may be better choices in the area.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
GstServiceManager, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Washington Embassy Row, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2014

First off, we would like to thank you for choosing Courtyard by Marriott Embassy Row for your DC travels. We take great pride in ensuring our guest's satisfaction. We are thrilled to hear that our staff was friendly and that the room met your--and our--cleanliness standards. We would also like to let you know that we are addressing the issue of our aging rooms with a renovation in the very near future.

In addition, thank you for sharing comments on your food and beverage experience. We will happily pass these along to our third party restaurant, Nage.

Thank you again for choosing our hotel, we hope to have the pleasure of serving you again soon.

Reviewed January 15, 2014

Had to make a quick run down to Washington DC for a meeting near Dupont Circle. Chose this hotel. Good location, the hotel was very clean, staff was wonderfully helpful and friendly. Wish the room was a little bit bigger but it was fine. Nice restaurant attached to the hotel.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank SoniaSpa
Reviewed January 8, 2014

I've stayed here 3 or 4 times mostly due to it being 2 blocks from a client. Staff at check-in and anytime you enter/exit the hotel are quite friendly. The one time I did have an issue (thermostat stuck on 80) it was resolved promptly.

I want to really like this hotel, but the lobby is the nicest part. The rooms could use some sprucing up. The desk/tv are pretty standard (and decent) Courtyard issue. The light above the vanity are ancient fluorescent jobs that aren't flattering and don't provide all that much light. The room safe won't hold a MacBook Pro 15" easily (they may, I gave up not wanting to sign and dent the laptop). Wireless is free, and you get what you pay for there -- it's pretty under-provisioned any trying to watch any sort of video (even short clips) can be an exercise in frustration.

Have eaten at Nage, the attached restaurant for lunch and evening drinks/dessert. Lunch was pretty good. The time I went for dessert there was a smell of burnt seafood throughout the place.

It's a decent Courtyard, and with some minor room tweaks could be a really good one.

1  Thank Tom G
Reviewed January 2, 2014

There was nothing like being welcomed by Tiara Thompson when we walked into the lobby. Even thought it had been a few months since we last stayed, she remembered our faces and greeted us like old friends.

Reviewed January 1, 2014

I had opted to stay at other hotels in DC for location convenience for my business affairs but this time had more location freedom. I am very pleased I selected this hotel. I

It has a euro-modern feel to the lobby and first floor amenities that is unusual for a Marriott. - this grabs you as soon as you enter, along with the great eye contact and respectful, attentive greeting you receive when entering the hotel. More than any hotel I have visited in DC save for one five star property, the front desk and lobby staff here is the most consistent and genuinely positive and helpful. I am sorry I did not get names but I will be back again.

Room was comfortable. I think they could be upgraded a tad more for fluency with the rest of the hotel. Perhaps the great service is due to the hotel's proximity to Embassy Row and all that comes with it. Regardless, this hotel's exemplary service should be modeled by other Marriotts in the city.

Reviewed December 27, 2013

I only stayed for 1 night but the hotel was great. Location is close to all the DC has to offer. the service when I checked in and out was fast and friendly. The room was well appointed, fresh and well maintained. I hope I get the chance to return to this hotel.

1  Thank anonymous-john
Reviewed December 21, 2013

I found this hotel accidentally during business Travel and have been back twice. It is a real gem with the most unbelievable and helpful front deskt staff in all of Washington. The rooms are sizable and typical Marriott courtyard style. The lobby restaurant is a local Mediterranean-style eclectic yet elegant with an extensive selection of specialty beers and wines. The service was great, there's Starbucks coffee in the morning, and A nice selection of breakfast treats. The location of the hotel is perfect for all sites in downtown Washington. It's close to the metro, easy walking distance to the museums andWhite, House and a short block from the downtown car rental location for travelers that need to reach locations in the region or the suburbs away from the metro stops. The National Geographic offices and museum are just behind the hotel and a great diversion for individuals with a few hours to spend or family members. All in all a great stay. I thought the hotel represented a great value in downtown Washington DC. I will certainly be back

Room Tip: The rooms are soundproofed fairly well. Higher floors away from the circle seem to be the quietest r...