“Good place for people on a budget”

HI Washington DC Hostel
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed July 26, 2013

This place is in a good enough location. It is close to the train station so you can go to all the tourist attractions. It is also a close enough walk to the museum strip and other attractions.

The rooms were of okay qaulity, a little old but you really never notice it. The kitchen and eating area is large enough.
The washrooms are clean.
Everything is great but the one in NYC is much better all around. But for Washinton DC, this is the best if you are on a tight budget.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
Mark-GM, General Manager at HI Washington DC Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2013

Aileen L: We do strive for "Super-Awesome," but I guess we can settle for the "best in DC." :-) Yes, our HI hostel in Manhattan is a wonderful place, and it is quite a boost to be in such great company. On a side note, we are embarking on a plan to spruce up the rooms. I agree that they are just OK for now. Come the Spring, they will have several nice, new touches. Thanks for the push to get that done! ~ Mark Schneider, HI-DC General Manager

Reviewed July 25, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for two days while going through DC and also my first experience at a hostel and it was great! All staff was friendly! Free wifi in lobby. Don't pass this hostel up!! The 2nd floor eating area was nice and big. The place was clean and the shared bathrooms were never busy!

• Stayed: July 2013

lil_duley: I'm thrilled that we could be your first DC and first hostel experience! We hope you do come back to visit us, again! ~ Mark Schneider, HI-DC General Manager

Reviewed July 22, 2013

This is not the fanciest hostel I've ever stayed in but it is still very good. Basic rooms, clean shared bathrooms and a great kitchen and social area. The best thing about this hostel is definitely it's location, it's a 10 minute walk away from the White House and it's great value for what you get. Staff were very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

LaurenMcM: It's a great review, but gosh it would have been grand if the title were, "Great Hostel, Great Location." :-) In all seriousness, I pleased to know that you had a happy visit. Thanks for sharing your experience! ~ Mark Schneider, HI-DC General Manager

Reviewed July 18, 2013

This place is probably one of the best hostels I've ever been.
The people there is friendly and helpful.
Rooms are big and clean and shared bathrooms are perfect. Big mirrors, several showers... and the cleaning ladies are very nice!
The place is big enough that if there are teenagers around you won't be disturbed, as they will be chatting and flirting in the common room downstairs :)
Breakfast is great, food enough to get you ready for a long walking day.
They also have laundry room but we did not use it.
There is a parking nearby (recommended by the staff) which was not too expensive. Although, I would recommend to try to find streets with 3 hours maximum parking (free to pay) which are well located near main spots.
Cool place, I would recommend it!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Nuria G

Nuria G: Oh, yeah! We're so happy to be among your favorite hostels! You just made my day. Woo-hoo! ~ Mark Schneider, HI-DC General Manager

Reviewed July 17, 2013

I admit, I wasn't quite sold on DC itself, but this hostel was great in making me feel welcome. I stayed in the 4 bed dorm. This is my second hostel stay, so I'm still a newbie at these sorts of things. The lockers were a great size, plus they had lockers down below for $4 a day so I stashed all my things before checkin time and got to spend a day sight-seeing before heading back over. The bathrooms were roomy and clean. The first night was a little touch and go due to the Boy Scouts which took over the place, and were really really loud tearing around the building very late at night and also prank knocking on our door, but what I really appreciated was the staff looking into it immediately and getting all those rowdy kiddos to calm down. The road noise was insane (also on my first night) with all the honking and shouting in the streets all during the night though that may have just been the unfortunate timing of my visit. Bring earplugs just in case, once I had those I slept very well- my roommates were very sweet.
I wasn't able to nab breakfast (again with those boyscouts packing the kitchen and having a packed meeting of some kind) which was disappointing since everyone commenting thinks the breakfast was great.
The front desk was very helpful and kindly answered any questions I had.
The hostel group activities were great, Manny doing the Kennedy Center concert tour was so sweet and even took us to Georgetown for pizza afterward.
If I were coming to DC again, I'd most definitely stay here. Though I'd probably ask about boyscouts and book around them :)

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo

Leanna L: I'm glad to read that you had a great time, despite some noisy Scouts. This year, the Boy Scouts held their National Jamboree in DC, so we were teeming with Scouts from all over the US. Thanks for working with us on this. We're glad we were able to get things quiet for you. Thanks for the great review! ~ Mark Schneider, HI-DC General Manager

Reviewed July 7, 2013

I've stayed in this hostel every time I've visited Washington since 1987, and will almost certainly return, The dorms are comfortable, the kitchen well-equipped and the other shared spaces pleasant, and the staff are friendly and helpful and have a wonderful sense of humour, particularly about the very slow lift. The location is convenient to the Metro and to most of Washington's attractions, though not a great area at night (during one visit a few years ago, I inadvertently walked through what was then the murder capital of North America). It's not fancy, but it's great value for money.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank N0MAD

Hello, again, NOMAD! It's always a pleasure to host you when you pass through The District! It is so true that our neighborhood has become much better over the past 10 years. It's now a great area, just a few blocks to the White House to the West and China Town to the East. See you soon! ~ Mark Schneider, HI-DC General Manager

Reviewed July 5, 2013

This is a Hostel, in an excellent location – just a 10 minute walk from the White House, and then everything else you could want to walk to! Yes, it has a no alcohol policy but there is nothing wrong with that either, the staff are very attentive and there was free Wi-Fi in all the rooms we had.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends

Kevin O: Thanks for the quick review! Just a quick note on the alcohol policy...That is a law in DC. Any property that allows guests to bring in alcohol must have a "Bring Your Own Bottle" alcohol license. Some places ignore the rules, but at great personal risk. People can go to jail for flouting alcohol laws in the US. Yes, we're still very Puritanical about it, unfortunately. ~ Mark Schneider, HI-DC General Manager